Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Mar 2, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #3,197 of 3,814
With all those good comments about the TUR-06, I believe that i will just order one So that i can compare with my TU-05.

Plus: HUGO & TUR-06 are exact same Size -> Nice portable Stack ! More than with TU-05.

I Will place the order and then Forget about it and ...one day in 5 or 6 monts I Will get à Good surprise in the mail :).

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #3,198 of 3,814
GRRR .......
smile.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #3,199 of 3,814
from problem to solution to problem ....

i made a design for discrete voltage regulators as the sound of a pure LM317 or TL783 is not that good and after some research found excellent op amps that can operate with up to 100 volt (but 10 Euros each). the ordered parts will arrive on monday, so one step further for the battery only version with no step up / step down converters where i need this voltage regulators between batteries and amp to charge the batteries while listening.

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #3,200 of 3,814
Wow GG that mazda tube pins look awesomely clean and shiny.. no wonder my tubes so noisy compare to those pins,, okay i will do more cleaning and see what happens..

@bmichels Congrats on your purchase. You should ask Shikada to make a special bag that can fit tur06 + hugo + whaever dap you might want to use with them..
maybe next year i am able to purchase the hugo.. need save up more money now

Cheers guys!

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #3,203 of 3,814
Mar 2, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #3,204 of 3,814
  Thank you for the info anakchan, Yes if I have the opportunity I will take the tur06 to Shikada. Have you got your tur06 back after the upgrade? How does it sound now?  
I read on the a2p fb on the tu05 "Low frequency will be lower, the high frequency seems to be a little soft" . I am not sure if I want that..

I left my TUR-06 with Shikada-san at the Fujiya Winter Portaken show and he said it'll take a month for the repair (and upgrade) but I'm just gonna make a guess it'll take longer. To me the TUR-06 v2.0 is subtly a little bit more refined (it's not a drastic night/day difference but noticeable when compared side-by-side) - to be honest I think if I depended on memory by sending my old TUR-06 and getting the new TUR-06 a few weeks later I probably won't be able to tell much of a difference that way. So it was a luxury to be able to compare side-by-side.

The gain for the newer TUR-06 v2.0 seems to be a little lower though. But you can change it inside by opening up the chassis. I'll need to adjust my gain for sure switching back 'n forth between IEMs and the Alpha Dogs.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #3,205 of 3,814

I left my TUR-06 with Shikada-san at the Fujiya Winter Portaken show and he said it'll take a month for the repair (and upgrade) but I'm just gonna make a guess it'll take longer. To me the TUR-06 v2.0 is subtly a little bit more refined (it's not a drastic night/day difference but noticeable when compared side-by-side) - to be honest I think if I depended on memory by sending my old TUR-06 and getting the new TUR-06 a few weeks later I probably won't be able to tell much of a difference that way. So it was a luxury to be able to compare side-by-side.

The gain for the newer TUR-06 v2.0 seems to be a little lower though. But you can change it inside by opening up the chassis. I'll need to adjust my gain for sure switching back 'n forth between IEMs and the Alpha Dogs.

" ...t you can change it inside by opening up the chassis."?  Is there some kind of switches or potentiometer to adjust the AMP's Gain ?  we don't have this in the TU-05.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #3,206 of 3,814

" ...t you can change it inside by opening up the chassis."?  Is there some kind of switches or potentiometer to adjust the AMP's Gain ?  we don't have this in the TU-05.

I'm referring to the TUR-06. I don't know about the TU-05b. In fact I've not opened up my TUR-06 even.

When I dropped my TUR-06 off for repair I asked Shikada-san if he could install gain switch so that I can flip back 'n forth between IEMs & ADs and he said he could but it'll cost extra. Or if I simply open up the TUR-06 myself I can flip it myself. So I decided to save the extra cost by just using the latter option.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #3,207 of 3,814
Sean, I bet that is a feature of the solid state section, the 05 does not have that. Having said that the gain option was so little on the 05 as were the upgrades I went for the lot, just made sense.

GG, I agree completely with your comments on the various tubes and Xplosive, i can highly recommend GG's cleaning kit. i have used it and its very effective, though I must admit being an odd person I like the longer way of doing it that I do!

If you want more info on both and GG's wonderful tube rolling experiments they can be found on post 3 of this thread, here is a link. Very worthwhile reading it all if you have not as GG has built a data base of what the different tubes sound like and together..

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632518/analog-squared-paper-discussion-and-appreciation-thread#post_8794450

GG, your description of the sound of the DF96 Tele's is exactly how I find them. If you want to increase bass in my experience using these with either the Mullards/ Marconi's ( pretend I did not mention them, they are made of unobtanium :wink: ) Phillips, Mazda, Ten or La Radiothechniqe will give you very good improvements in that area. Also, and more importantly the Telefunkens and any of the 3S4 tubes I mentioned above are for me the ultimates in terms of musicality.

I see Shikada San has a few more TU-05 amps ready, I hope they are for folks here and if not and your one of the lucky recipients it would be great if you could join our little thread and report on your experiences (obviously that goes for folks on here already who have theirs coming.)

I know Shikada San has been swamped of late and looking at his pictures on Facebook I kind of see why. Two main reasons are his new workshop but also it struck me that of the three ready for dispatch only one was standard the other two were highly modified. He said it took a day alone to do the neutrik connector on one amp!

What I love about the folks buying this amp is they fully understand the bespoke nature of them and that it is still just Shikada San building them on his own to the very high standards he keeps. Add in modifications such as I had, I wonder he has time to sleep.

So those on the wait or contemplating ordering and daunted by the wait times I encourage you to read through this thread as it will make the wait easier as you know your getting something very special!

I cast my mind back to this time last year. I think by then there were two of us on the forum with the amp, myself and Andy. I look now and see all the new owners and all the orders waiting and I am so happy to see so many people getting the chance to own what I think is one of the most remarkable amps out there period. Add into the pot the new 06 which is garnering similar accolades and Shikada San has created something very special indeed.

Now, I just wonder what is next. He hinted to me on FB yesterday he has another design up his sleeve.. I wonder if it will be desk top in design??

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #3,208 of 3,814
This is an exciting time in audio for DAPs and amps.  I've moved from full desktop rigs to now looking at what's available in the portable world.  In general, how long have people been waiting for their TUR-05 amps?  On the website it indicates "production frame of August".  I sent an email asking about wait times.  Naturally, we all must expect some wait for such a quality device, however, I'm just thinking about whether I will need an intermediate portable amp to hold me over.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #3,209 of 3,814
GG, I agree completely with your comments on the various tubes and Xplosive, i can highly recommend GG's cleaning kit. i have used it and its very effective, though I must admit being an odd person I like the longer way of doing it that I do!

Thanks, IanMedium. This is the first time i get a feedback on my cleaning kits. started to think that everybody has it, but nobody is using it, so very happy to read that it works fine not only in my opinion.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #3,210 of 3,814
  I will not stop hunting those beautiful and rare tubes. It is quite fun actually and very challenging too. Or maybe i will ask Shikada to get a pair of beautiful trouble free tubes for me.. 
biggrin.gif

just to mention - i have about 14 Radiotechnique DF91 in original cardboxes NOS "on stock" i bought some time ago for just 50 european cent per piece to have how to say some stock for new owners - international shipping is about 5 Euro.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back