Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Mar 2, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #3,211 of 3,814
Thank you Sean for the tur06 v2 impression. I will get it upgraded for sure when I have a trip to Japan (hopefully this year).

@ian, big thanks to GG finally I can get a pair of diamond telefunken df96 tubes. I will post more impression once I get them. And I will use GG cleaning kit on them.

@wnbc, i have to wait 4-5 months to get my tur06 no.4. I believe now it will took 6 month the least. It was really a very long time to wait but once I got it, the tur06 really performs beyond my high expectation. It simply the end of journey for my portable amp quest.
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #3,212 of 3,814
Yeah the green lettering Radiotechnique tubes are the most silent tube I have so far. They sound great too.

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #3,213 of 3,814
Thanks, I should get my order in sooner than later.

Quote:
  @wnbc, i have to wait 4-5 months to get my tur06 no.4. I believe now it will took 6 month the least. It was really a very long time to wait but once I got it, the tur06 really performs beyond my high expectation. It simply the end of journey for my portable amp quest.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #3,214 of 3,814
I see Shikada San has a few more TU-05 amps ready, I hope they are for folks here and if not and your one of the lucky recipients it would be great if you could join our little thread and report on your experiences (obviously that goes for folks on here already who have theirs coming.)

I jumped straight over to Facebook hoping my amp was one of them. No 37. Oh well. Maybe soon. For reference, I ordered in October...

Mar 9, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #3,218 of 3,814
Okay, everything fixed. it really was not that easy because i use much thicker wires so everything is really tight, and the standard case is that small.  have to clean the amp,to remove some glue, and some polish is recommended, the amp shows that it was used and modded and used and ... . by accident i made a big scratch on the front panel while assembling the 3.5mm jack. at the moment the impedance switch has a problem switching, sometimes you have to switch several times until it works. btw i did not repair the damaged tube LEDs, much to much effort.

but let's speak about sound. it's always a special feeling and experience when turning this great amp on and then the first impression after some time not have listened to it, the airy and spacious presentation ... WOW, glad i have one (and 170 tubes, should be enough for the next 30 years).

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #3,221 of 3,814
It looks beautiful GG, I will be particularly interested on your thoughts on what the copper sheet contributes to the sound. I know Kondo Audio Note are great believers in the stuff.

As always I am in awe of your capabilities. So happy one of the tens has arrived. I have not been doing much listening this past couple of weeks due to the flu but it is on the way out now and I cannot wait to get listening again!

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #3,222 of 3,814
yes, i love that copper look, too. i bought this self adhesive copper foil some time ago and thought it would be a great chance to test it as copper (even this thin foil) should be a much better shield than aluminium, also you may remember that i also had shielded the input signals and the 1.4 volt filament power lines with small brass tubes (and this time i used thick OFC copper wires for the connection of the output transformers to the headphone out, solid core silver plated copper wires for the connection from the tubes to the output transformers and LCOFC copper wires for the input path).

I can only say that my first impression (after a long time not having used this AMP) was

-  extra quiet, stable, dead silent,  much more than only black background, and slightly better bass (you know, i had modified the original output transformers for higher inductance and so improved bass response)

so i assume it could have helped shielding the amp.

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #3,223 of 3,814
Wonderful GG, I am hoping the other Ten tube will appear soon so you can give them a listen. I think the copper foil is perfect, there is not a lot of room in there and copper is copper so the reduction in RF is going to be the same I would think no matter how thick.

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #3,224 of 3,814
My T05 #32 finally came  in  
size]

So far, I'm quite impressed. There is just a special feeling when I get a hold on something that's is totally hand built. Did some brief listening on it with the T5P and TH900, and both sounded exquisite. However, even with the new upgraded transformer, it didn't pair quite well with the HD800. Will be running it a few more days before more critical listening and rolling.

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #3,225 of 3,814
congratulations - happy to read that you like the amp.

regarding the hd800 - have the same experience, the maximum output impedance of 200 ohm is just to low for the hd800.

which tubes do you have or are you using?

btw, just listening to beck - morning phase while typing, indeed a great piece of music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back