Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Mar 14, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #3,241 of 3,814
  Ok guys today i am a very happy man because I just received my telefunken diamond base tubes. For this tube i just clean it with alcohol and tissue, the pins are not sparkling clean but they are clean enough i hope.

Okay as for sound.. Oh my.. just right the moment i turn the music on. It is the same feeling when I listen to my tur06 for the first time.
I listen to Ingram Washington album which is only 16 bit. The vocal is so soft but powerful (i always feel that df96 tubes have better power than the it4), lushfull with very good timbre and singer character voice are shown.. all the instruments including the cymbal sound so intimate, weighty, full dynamics and real. and the bass are the best i have heard from the tur06 so far. just right amount of everything.. detail retrieval also the best among my other tubes. Sorry for my limited language but they are really what i feel.
I kinda get the same feeling as when listening to a home speakers.. they really soft but full of detail and so intimate with unlimited three dimensional space of sound. I wonder are all tube amp can sound this good? even my df96 philips sound much less lively. I can't believe i said that because they were my best tube so far.

There is a little buzzing noise at the background. but i am pretty sure they just need a little more time to settling in because sometimes the buzzing are completely gone.

And my setup was hippo biscuit and fad heaven 2 with copper m2m.

I will post more impression when my ak240 come. hopefully in two weeks time.
Will post some pictures tonight!
Special thank to GG for helping me in getting this incredible tubes. owe you one GG.
beerchug.gif

- first of all i am absolutely happy that you like this tubes that much!. i also by far prefer them compared to the Phillips DF96.

- you are absolutely right with your feeling, the DF96 has a higher µ-factor, which means higher amplification than the DF91 / 1T4.

- the buzzling background noise may have the same reason as posted by AnakChan, you may need this additional LC-Filter because of the unstability of the internal power supply due to too low current, the power supply has only to provide 50mA for two DF96 for the filament power instead of 100mA for two DF91.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #3,242 of 3,814
Thank you GG. The tele are my main tube now and if i have the chance i will get the lc filter as well. Since my main cans now mostly are 8- 30 ohm impendance. they are very sensitive to noise.  But i am still hoping that the noise will be gone by itself like my df96 philips.

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #3,243 of 3,814
Where did you guys get the telefunkens?

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #3,244 of 3,814
  Where did you guys get the telefunkens?

I bought x2 Telefunkens DF96 Diamond base from this store (rosemarie3878) which is where GG recommended I buy them from, but there are none left currently. He has the non Diamond base ones listed:-

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AUDIOTUBES-VALVES/_i.html?_nkw=telefunken+df96&submit=Search&_sid=182169925

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #3,245 of 3,814
Don't get the Non diamond base ones!! I purchased three pairs before getting the diamond base ones and they were the worst tubes I have purchased to date!

Doing a quick scan I see only one diamond base for sale. I purchased my Lorenz's from this seller and though a bit pricey he sells excellent tubes. Might be worth asking if he has another to make a pair!
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DF96-1AJ4-W25-1F33-TELEFUNKEN-NOS-GERMANY-Tube-Rohre-Valvola-Lampe-TSF-Valvula-/390790770325?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5afcf1ee95&_uhb=1

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #3,246 of 3,814
No 37 is off the bench and in the mail!

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #3,249 of 3,814
must listen: https://www.youtube.com/embed/quhlxIqw_EA

enjoy

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #3,250 of 3,814
Congrats Sam Edwards. Your long wait is finally over, Yes just get the diamond base telefunken. they sound much better.. But  imo it is better if you get used to the sound from the supplied tube first. And then you start the tube rolling..

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #3,251 of 3,814
i think it is the first time after the lorenz df91 - philips dl92 combo that ianmedium and i so absolutely agree on a specific tube combo to be a dream set.

at the moment i am more on the homogenous than the analytical trip when it comes to sound and must say that the telefunken diamond base berlin made (uff!!!) df96 - mullard dl92 combo is really a dream set, so homogenously sounding, great musicality, so nice, beautiful, relaxing, easily as powerful as a valium with some alcohol (never try this as i never did, just kidding, use this dream tube combo instead if you want to relax).

just listening to windham hill records, cinema with my (more or less) original tu-05 and my diy grado style headphones.

i want to listen to this wonderful sound, my body and brain constantly try to power off to sleep mode.

so let' s wait until i get a second ten 3s4.

btw, just want to mention that for a long time my favorite df tube was the lorenz df96 (do you remember, ianmedium), today i found out that a lot of them was made in germany by telefunken (sic!) and found and ordered an additional one so soon having two pairs.

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #3,252 of 3,814
Okay Guys, Where do I start?

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #3,253 of 3,814
  Congrats Sam Edwards. Your long wait is finally over, Yes just get the diamond base telefunken. they sound much better.. But  imo it is better if you get used to the sound from the supplied tube first. And then you start the tube rolling..

x2.

i think it is the first time after the lorenz df91 - philips dl92 combo that ianmedium and i so absolutely agree on a specific tube combo to be a dream set.

at the moment i am more on the homogenous than the analytical trip when it comes to sound and must say that the telefunken diamond base berlin made (uff!!!) df96 - mullard dl92 combo is really a dream set, so homogenously sounding, great musicality, so nice, beautiful, relaxing, easily as powerful as a valium with some alcohol (never try this as i never did, just kidding, use this dream tube combo instead if you want to relax).

just listening to windham hill records, cinema with my (more or less) original tu-05 and my diy grado style headphones.

i want to listen to this wonderful sound, my body and brain constantly try to power off to sleep mode.

so let' s wait until i get a second ten 3s4.

btw, just want to mention that for a long time my favorite df tube was the lorenz df96 (do you remember, ianmedium), today i found out that a lot of them was made in germany by telefunken (sic!) and found and ordered an additional one so soon having two pairs.

x2.

My tube rolling desires have ended with this combo. Been thoroughly engrossed in the music with no motive to improve tubes.

I have a (maybe) silly question: Will it harm the tu-05 or the 'phones to plug and/or unplug 'phones while the amp it powered on?

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #3,254 of 3,814
for (high power) tube amps it is recommended to always have a load, i.e. loudspeakers connected to the output transformers, or the energy stored in the transformers is reflected to the anodes so possibly damaging the tubes. in fact i change headphones while the amp is on, but turn the volume level to zero before, never faced any problem.

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #3,255 of 3,814
@SamEdwards - as far as i can identify the tubes i think there is my philco or nearly as good sylvania 1s4 (pin1 has to be cut) - RFT df97 (pin4 and pin5 have to be connected) dream combo.

you could also try the philips df96 or radiotechnique df91 - mullard dl92 combo, but out of the tubes i think i can identify i would combine the df tubes with the 1s4, especially with your grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back