Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Oct 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #2,401 of 3,814
So GG, when does construction begin of the uber 05??

As to the tubes, I agree. I think it was an act of genius on Shikada Sans part to use these tubes as they are plentiful and cheap in comparison to other types.

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #2,402 of 3,814
after the email i got from shikada san that he were so busy at the moment and needed some days before answering my questions i sent him an email that i can wait 2 or 3 weeks with no problem, but now it's nearly a month so next week i will send him an email.

most important i wait for a feedback that i can buy a second internal power supply board to completely separate left and right channel.

and as posted i am looking for better output transformers as i think this could also be a point for further improvement, there should be a difference between the output transformers i found and think that these are the stock ones (about 13 euro each) and the james or custom silk output transformers for about 250 Euros a pair (and the possiblility to connect high impedance headphones to the tu-05).

it is fully clear that such parts are much too expensive to deliver a tu-05 at the price shikada san sells it.

the more i go into the details and think about my mod, the more i like the puristic design and the sound quality achieved and clearly see that a lot of the ideas or changes like input selector, impedance switch for all combinations for the output transformers etc. would only result in much higher manufacturing and product cost, so i am very happy that the amp is that good sounding for the price AND gives me the possibility for all this modifications due to the clear design and modular build.

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #2,403 of 3,814
  My first little disappointment with the TU-05, well not really, expected the result. Will stick to easier loads
wink_face.gif

I received my JPS Abyss AB-1266 today. The TU-05 was unable to drive them to any decent volume level, luckily the Cavalli LAu is due back tomorrow...............................

well...did you received your Cavalli LAu ?  how does it sound ? :)

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #2,404 of 3,814
A little night music.. Marriner/Marriner, The Academy of St Martin in the Fields Mozart Clarinet concerto and quintet, PF IX's..

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #2,405 of 3,814
First of all thank you for Ian and Rudi for introducing this amp to the world.
I found out analog squared paper after seeing ianmedium posting his tu05 with pf on portable rigs thread. It absolutely the most beautiful rigs i have ever seen.. And I directly find a2p facebook and like the page. I also subscribed this thread right after.

I actually want to order a tu05 amp, but after reading Sean review I made up my mind and order the tur06 instead.

After 3 long month waiting there it is now..

Just receive my tur06 2 days ago...

I asked Mr. Shikada to make a special ak100 pocket for the amp, and this is the illustration that I send to him:

I need this special pocket as my interconnect is so stiff and i don't want to take it on and off every time i want to shuffle my music.

And this one is what he made for me:

that is the exact replica from what i draw to him.. Yes he is a very nice and great guy.

As for the sound, this is the best portable amp or even a desktop amp i have ever heard. This scale up all my headphones quality by large.
I use xduoo xp-1 before (it suppose to be a very good pair amp for an ak100 and very popular in Japan especially the xd-1 with optic interconnect). Yes it was until i just heard this amp for the first 5 minute. I put a really high expectation on this and this one simply far beyond my imagination,

Now i have been using this for about 10 hours (I have not recharge it since the day it came). I know it is not at its best yet but the sound is amazing and so analog..

He did mention on his mail:
P.S

About #004,
I tried to use the attenuator of the current type.
The sound is better than voltage type.
However, it is not will be a mute.

(up to -50~-70dB)

I don' t quite get it what he meant.. hoping someone from this thread can explain more about this, ( I am very bad with electronics like the opposite site of GG).
biggrin.gif

And sometimes there is a bit analog noise at the background but not all the time, I have tried cleaning the tube with alcohol It is a bit better now.. Is it normal?

And the clinging noise every time i move the amp.. but it is getting less and less when the tube is warm up,

Again thank you for this beautiful thread hope i am not bored you all..

Cheers,

Kevin

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #2,406 of 3,814
Oct 9, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #2,407 of 3,814
Kevin, congratulations. I love the case he made for you and am thrilled your loving your amp. As Sean said please tell us what tubes you have in your amp. From what I have seen of late Shikada san has upgraded the stock tubes to excellent mil-spec US tubes which sound beautiful.

The clinging noise is normal it is just the filaments of the tube. All tubes will do this when moved but most are pretty silent when still. That sound is not a bad tube though, it is just the joy of tube ownership. If the other sound was like tissue paper being scrunched that could be three things. The most common is dirty pins.

Here is my method of cleaning them and GG has another excellent method also

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632518/analog-paper-2-discussion-and-appreciation-thread/165#post_9305627

Also the tubes need a few hours on them to settle down, i usually find around twenty gets them to the point where if there is still noise then it is probably a noisy tube and needs to be replaced. Luckily for us these tubes are plentiful and cheap ( in comparison to larger tube amp tubes) so if you need to go that route let us know and we can suggest other tubes, just let us know how you like your music presented so we can tailor to the best tubes for your needs.

But I would first just sit back and listen, see if the noises go, if they do then just enjoy the music.

Another great thing about these tubes is that they were designed for hard use. Their primary roll was in military radios so they were build really strong and designed to last for thousands of hours. Personally I think it was an act of genius on Shikada sans part to use these tubes!

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #2,408 of 3,814
Hi Sean,
This is the tube picture, I think is it the same with yours:

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #2,409 of 3,814
Kevin, they look like the excellent Sylvania Mil Spec tubes, top of the line stuff as far as I am concerned. Getting a closer look these were made in the 1940's, so surplus war stock.

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #2,410 of 3,814
Thank you Ian, I really enjoy this pairing tube. This sound too good already. The bass, vocal, instruments, space all there very revealing and very clear.. The transparency is top notch.. You can hear almost every detail but yet very easy to listen.. even at low volume. Never understand the depth on instrument sound before, but with this i can hear it and amazed.. I bought the hdtrack chesky test track and audiogon that bmichels suggest and tur06 really show it. Even with my 16 bits recording it already blow my mind away..
So yes I am really loving this amp so much,,
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #2,411 of 3,814
Ian suggested for me to share my pix I had on FB. Well this is a little variant of the same thing :-

I think that it's probably time for me to give my NEC 1T4SF some time. The Sylvanias have been on the TUR-06 for the past 2 months.

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #2,412 of 3,814
I am so glad you posted this shot Sean, I think it really shows the ethos of all the components in unison.

I am very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the new tubes, especially as you have fully burned in these ones.

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #2,413 of 3,814
  Thank you Ian, I really enjoy this pairing tube. This sound too good already. The bass, vocal, instruments, space all there very revealing and very clear.. The transparency is top notch.. You can hear almost every detail but yet very easy to listen.. even at low volume. Never understand the depth on instrument sound before, but with this i can hear it and amazed.. I bought the hdtrack chesky test track and audiogon that bmichels suggest and tur06 really show it. Even with my 16 bits recording it already blow my mind away..
So yes I am really loving this amp so much,,
biggrin.gif

Congratulation for your purchase.  

But.... you start to make me wonder if I should't have bought the TUR-06 instead of the TU-05 !  
wink.gif
  tell me....For which specific reason did you choose the TUR-06 ?  Is it only for size matter ? 

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #2,414 of 3,814
That is a very cool looking tur06 +901 Sean. Thank you for sharing it. I bet it sound amazing. I always want a 901 to be my next upgrade. But hifi DAP prices now getting more and more expensive. I think I have to stuck with my ak100 stock for a while.
biggrin.gif
I am pretty happy with it and Mr. Shikada also using the same ak100. So he might research something new to make full of it. Something like the attenuator stuff that he is done for my tur06.
And yes I hope to hear your impression using the NEC tube.

Thank you bmichels. I actually chose tu05 at first, size wise it is not a problem for me. But after reading Sean about the bass sound i chose tur06 over tu05. For me bass is the fun part of listening any kind of music, So if it has more bass and more fun sounding i will love it as well. And tur06 bass is amazing, very deep and well textured. It takes my ath esw11 boomy bass to be a very refined and well textured one. The other thing is my friend suggest me to get a less tube number mount on an amp as it will save me more money in the future, and it is quite hard to get a right pair of the same quality tube.

I am still looking forward to audition tu05 to hear how much more refined it is than the tur06.

But for now I am very happy with tur06.

Oct 12, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #2,415 of 3,814
Hello SPKRS01, did you received your Cavalli LAu ?  how does it sound ? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back