Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Oct 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #2,386 of 3,814
I would like to audition a HM-901 but finding a UK stockist is problematical. Moreover, what's with the recently announced HM-802 and how will this measure up to the 901? All very confusing. 
confused_face.gif

Quote:
Personally, for me the 901 is easy enough to use, and the build isn't bad at all. It's no iphone, but I didn't buy it so I could stare at it, I bought it so I could listen to it. It really does sound wonderful balanced. Give it a try!

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #2,387 of 3,814
Andy, I did not know that there was an 802, will have to check it out though to be honest I think I am an Astell & Kern man now. So impressed not only with the sound but the build quality and ease of use. The only things I hope they sort out are being able to show albums as a whole instead of separated as they are now in some cases. I know it is a metadata thing that I could sort out but if apple can do it so can A&K though to be honest I just get around it by viewing the folder menu. The only other minor thing is that DSD album art still does not show up even though the new firmware was meant to sort that out.
But those are minor, so easy to use and put music on to but it is the sound, such a sophisticated sound. I sometimes forget at night when listening in the dark that I am listening to a portable system, so full sized and full scale this combination is.

You should hear big band music through this system, absolutely amazing sense of scale and depth.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,388 of 3,814
I might be selling my 901 soon though, as reports of the sony nw-zx1 say that it is about on the level of the 901 and better sounding than both the ak100 and ak120! Honestly the ak120 really is overpriced. And if the zx1 really is better sounding than the ak120, then there is absolutely nothing the ak120 has over the sony. The sony would be cheaper and better built too.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #2,389 of 3,814
I must admit I do not get this over priced comment thing. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it!

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #2,390 of 3,814
Thanks very much zachchen1996. Interesting news from Sony.

www.pocket-lint.com had this to say about pricing -

"The NW-F880 will come in white, black, blue and pink, although the 64GB model only comes in black and white. The 16GB is priced at $274 (£155), the 32GB at $304, and the 64GB at $405. The NW-ZX1 comes in silver only and costs $760". 

$760 is only £470, which would make the NW-ZX1 a relative bargain if it sounds great. 

Quote:
I might be selling my 901 soon though, as reports of the sony nw-zx1 say that it is about on the level of the 901 and better sounding than both the ak100 and ak120! Honestly the ak120 really is overpriced. And if the zx1 really is better sounding than the ak120, then there is absolutely nothing the ak120 has over the sony. The sony would be cheaper and better built too.

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #2,391 of 3,814
looking for parts for my mod i found (i think) the original output transformers used for the tu-05:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-kasuga.net%2Fgoods.asp%3Fid%3D35

interestingly there is also offered a improved version with better low frequency response:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-kasuga.net%2Fgoods.asp%3Fid%3D1235

so if you have an early version of the tu-05 could be of interest which output transformer was used and if an upgrade is senseful.

there is an oversized, but fitting the specs james output transformer i eventually will buy, also i sent the specs to sacthailand (silk output transformers) to get two offers for custom made highend outout transformers for the tu-05 exactly fitting the specs but additional 16 ohm secondary option (this means cans up to 400 ohm impedance can be used - for example my hd800)

- one fitting the size for internal mounting
- one based only on sound quality

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #2,392 of 3,814
I must admit I do not get this over priced comment thing. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it!

agree. not to forget all the buying mistakes that cost money and the time for searching, buying and testing and then not beeing satisfied. compared to the time saved and the money one can earn per hour f.e. as consultant, for example both my t5p and the akg k3003 were not expensive but instead immediatly stopped the need of further looking for a great headphone for portable and other equipment and an excellent iem providing the sound quality i got used to.

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #2,393 of 3,814
Well said GG!

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #2,394 of 3,814
My first little disappointment with the TU-05, well not really, expected the result. Will stick to easier loads
wink_face.gif

I received my JPS Abyss AB-1266 today. The TU-05 was unable to drive them to any decent volume level, luckily the Cavalli LAu is due back tomorrow...............................

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #2,395 of 3,814
Now that is some heavy metal! They look great, what a shame the 05's won't drive them. I wonder if Shikada San will offer a variation with more power. Knowing him I bet he could make a bespoke one.

What do you think of them so far, I know its early days but initial thoughts?

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #2,396 of 3,814
Now that is some heavy metal! They look great, what a shame the 05's won't drive them. I wonder if Shikada San will offer a variation with more power. Knowing him I bet he could make a bespoke one.

What do you think of them so far, I know its early days but initial thoughts?

I have not listened to them properly yet, Ian. I only have portable amps at home and none of them will drive the thing. The Wagnus gave it a reasonable try. I lent my Violectric stack to a fellow Head fi-i'er friend, so the Abyss is waiting for the Cavalli to arrive. It has landed in Hong Kong and cleared customs tonight, so expect delivery in the morning.

I have a pair of LCD-3 that I bought two weeks ago that has been in the wardrobe with my other cans. I have not listened to those either, but it will be a fun weekend ahead, definitely.

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #2,397 of 3,814
I think the comparison between the LCD3 and the Abyss will be the one most are waiting for!

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #2,398 of 3,814
I think the comparison between the LCD3 and the Abyss will be the one most are waiting for!

AGREE  +  I will love to hear your thought about the Cavalli Amp.

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #2,399 of 3,814
  I have been spending all my time listening, rather than posting.

The TU-05 is sounding superb.

It has got to the point that every other portable/transportable amplifier is ignored and that I am considering selling them all.

Been listening to Joanna Wang, didn't even realize that I had her in my library
confused_face_2.gif
 Love the tonality of her voice......................

Great voice. I am very grateful that you made me discovering Joanna Wang !  Thanks 

HIGH RES downlodable here 

Oct 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #2,400 of 3,814
we all can be really happy that the tubes for the tu-05 are rather cheap (but also these types get more and more expensive and rare on ebay).

bought some tubes for my cayin ha-1a and must say that the prices the tube sellers want are really crazy.

for an ordinary ecc82, ecc83 or 5751 nos tube you have to pay nearly 30 euros, for a pair of nos siemens el84 i got for free from my radio technican friend you can pay about 150 euros! (also for some ecc82 or ecc83).

btw, to have everything in place for my big tu-05 mod i bought a two channel analog oscilloskop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back