Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Sep 22, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #2,326 of 3,813
ianmedium,
Congratulations on your purchase of a NIXIE WATCH!  
L3000.gif

It really is a very unique and quirky thermionic timepiece. I had one, but gave it to Steve at Mullard Magic, as he needed cheering up at the time and it was just too big for my slender wrist. It will certainly garner interest from curious bystanders in cafes and public places when you tilt your wrist to activate it. I found that the battery lasts between 4-6 months depending on the number of times that the tubes are lit up - you will constantly play with it at first so have a spare battery handy! 

Cheers,
Andy.

Quote:
if he has two of the Marconi's jump on them! Otherwise in the other listing they are the mil speck Mullards. I have purchased from this seller and they are excellent and sound the same as the phillips i have but with a little more bass.

On to other tube news. Next week see's the arrival of two new tubes for me!! Very excited about these two as they come in a special case...
biggrin.gif

Lets just say Flavor flav has nothing on me..
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #2,327 of 3,813
bmichels - do you know this neutrik speakON connectors ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakon_connector

2, 4 or 8 contacts, made for PA equipment, up to 20 ampere current, made for loudspeaker interconnects, much larger contact area, will try them as output jack for my next tu-05 mod:

Sep 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #2,328 of 3,813

Andy, I had no idea you had one, that is wonderful and what a lovely thing to do to give it to Steve. Luckily I have a very large and very thick Breitling as you know so it won't be too hard to get adjusted to it!
I found a source on eBay that sells the type of battery but in a plain creamy white cover (i think they are used for medical things) The are apparently Duracell but I thought the plain white would make it even more mad scientist looking so have ordered a couple.

I keep thinking back to the back room boys that put Britain back on its feet after the war building experimental planes and such with this watch. I remember seeing them standing in front of devices with these tubes counting out numbers... Make me want to find some Childrens Film Foundation films and watch them.. Ah for simpler times!

Oh, and the watch is an early 50th birthday present from a friend of mine.

BTW, How have you got on with the isolation devices you purchased?

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #2,329 of 3,813
  bmichels - do you know this neutrik speakON connectors ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakon_connector

2, 4 or 8 contacts, made for PA equipment, up to 20 ampere current, made for loudspeaker interconnects, much larger contact area, will try them as output jack for my next tu-05 mod:

NO, never heard about them, but they look like a good solution

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #2,331 of 3,813
I met up with two Head Fi-ers early evening, and they both listened to the TU-05 sourced by the RWAK 120-S.

Both loved it..................

I think one is going to order the TU-06 and the other TU-05
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #2,332 of 3,813
Thats wonderful Gavin, I am really glad they enjoyed it!

I should have the Ken Rad 3S4's this week so can try an all matched, all US military tube set up.. And my tube watch will be here by the end of the week.. Fun with tubes week starts autumn off perfectly!

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #2,334 of 3,813
Thats wonderful Gavin, I am really glad they enjoyed it!

I should have the Ken Rad 3S4's this week so can try an all matched, all US military tube set up.. And my tube watch will be here by the end of the week.. Fun with tubes week starts autumn off perfectly!

Ian

I am not too sure of the tubes..but the watch is cute/sweet, congrats!

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #2,335 of 3,813
Guys, where does one get this watch?

Edit - found it!

Sep 23, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #2,336 of 3,813
Sidrpm, are you going to get one? I can't wait for mine to arrive this week.. At least there is no need to tube roll!

I just got the Ken-Rad Mil-spec's today and as I type they are getting some hours on them along side the Raytheons I purchased from the same seller. Will report back later in the week once I have got some hours on them. I can report that this technically and date matched pair of Ken Rads are like the Raytheons which were also matched in that these are the most silent tubes out of the box I have had to date. All my tubes have had some slight noise right at the beginning which has burned off but both these pairs are silent as the grave.

I cannot recommend this seller highly enough, great experience and great tubes..
http://stores.ebay.ca/VIVA-TUBES-NOS-Vintage-Vacuum-Tubes?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2,337 of 3,813
First need to get the amp - followed by tubes - followed by the watch.

I still can't figure out which amp is more suitable for my source (AK120). Have only tried the TU-06.

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #2,338 of 3,813
i can't speak for the 06 but I have to say that the CLAS/Classic I had was a great match, the 801 even better and the 120 just takes the whole thing to another level of competing with good home set up's I feel. For me the synergy is spot on as the black background and sheer quality of sound from the 05 really allows the 120 to show what it is capable of.

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #2,339 of 3,813
Thanks Ian, this helps in me making an informed decision. The only aspect that was swaying me toward the 06 was the smaller size/weight.

Hope to hear the 05 soon before ordering. May reach out to you before I order.

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #2,340 of 3,813
Absolutley, I wish you were in my town you could have an extended listen to it. As far as I know Sean is the only person who has heard both but I know Gavin should get his 06 soon so it might be worth waiting to hear what he thinks of the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back