Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Sep 14, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #2,176 of 3,813
Very very nice, Thank you for the link!

I plugged in the Brimars yesterday,....Thanks Andy for bringing them to my attention. Oh yes, I am really glad I go the stamps off mine!

What binar exactly are you mentioning  ?  With what other pair of tube were there used ?

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #2,178 of 3,813
Sep 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #2,180 of 3,813
Brimar 1T4/Phillips DL92

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #2,181 of 3,813

This pair is for my TUR-06, so I don't know what other guy use for their power stage. 

I'm still waiting for my TUR-06 to finish but I will try this Brimar on AnakChan's TUR-06 tomorrow.

AhHH.  Also tomorrow, try to listen to his TU-05 also (if he has received it yet).  I am very interested to read how you feel the 2 amps compare.

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #2,182 of 3,813
Brimar 1T4/Phillips DL92

thanks Ian....

Does this new combo has a chance to take away the crown from your beloved Phillips DL92/Lorenz DF91 combo ? 

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #2,183 of 3,813
No, its just different. It is still to early to tell as they have some more hours to go before they fully settle in. The sound is rounder that the Lorenz but just a little. At this stage I could easily live with either pairings but in truth I could say that about all of the valves I have!

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #2,184 of 3,813
So a Big Thank you to Andy for bringing to light the 1T4 Brimars.

I have now around twenty hours on them and they are wonderful. They opened up quite a bit over the twenty hours and now to my ears combine the airy top end of the Lorenz/Siemens, bass, in fact a little more bass than the Mullards and the sweet mid's of the Mazda's.

They seem to do all things exceptionally well. I did some swapping back and forth tonight and they now are my go to 1T4 as when I put the Lorenz, Mazda or Mullard's back in the overall sonic lacked dimension and intimacy as well as speed and depth. They are a perfect combination with the Phillips DL92 I feel.

These are very detailed tubes as well. Guitars have an added layer of texture as do strings. Brushes on skin have just that little more texture and grain. In comparison the other three feel ever so slightly veiled in that respect ( and this is extreme nit picking it has to be said. All three tubes are still wonderful tubes and if I was told I could only live with one of them I would still be happy)

Just lovely lovely tubes. My other set of Brimars came no where near this standard!

Sep 15, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #2,185 of 3,813
MTTheFirst was able to try his new 1T4 Brimars today on the TUR-06. It was probably a little too new to make impressions. For the moment I had fallen back to my Sylvania's :-

Sep 15, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #2,186 of 3,813
So a Big Thank you to Andy for bringing to light the 1T4 Brimars.

I have now around twenty hours on them and they are wonderful. They opened up quite a bit over the twenty hours and now to my ears combine the airy top end of the Lorenz/Siemens, bass, in fact a little more bass than the Mullards and the sweet mid's of the Mazda's.

They seem to do all things exceptionally well. I did some swapping back and forth tonight and they now are my go to 1T4 as when I put the Lorenz, Mazda or Mullard's back in the overall sonic lacked dimension and intimacy as well as speed and depth. They are a perfect combination with the Phillips DL92 I feel.

These are very detailed tubes as well. Guitars have an added layer of texture as do strings. Brushes on skin have just that little more texture and grain. In comparison the other three feel ever so slightly veiled in that respect ( and this is extreme nit picking it has to be said. All three tubes are still wonderful tubes and if I was told I could only live with one of them I would still be happy)

Just lovely lovely tubes. My other set of Brimars came no where near this standard!

so i will try them again - thanks for your effort to give  them so much time for burn-in

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #2,187 of 3,813
So a Big Thank you to Andy for bringing to light the 1T4 Brimars.....

....Just lovely lovely tubes. My other set of Brimars came no where near this standard!

Ian, what are those "other Brimars" not as good as the 1T4 you discovered ?   I want to make sure I test "the right Brimars" ! 

I found several type and colour of printing on the tubes !??  does  " White printing" or  "red printing" makes a difference ?

And.... for those interested in "in deept" informations about the Brimars tubes: The Brimars tube book !

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #2,188 of 3,813
Anak, I am looking forward to hearing what they are like in the 06 as they are a warmer more bass oriented tube. Bmichels. they are the Brimars with the stamps on. I have the other ones and found them quite different in sound style, flatter and less intimate than the red label Brimars.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #2,189 of 3,813
I just looked Bmichels. Unless you already have ordered them It looks like the Stamp Brimars are sold out.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #2,190 of 3,813
Anak, I am looking forward to hearing what they are like in the 06 as they are a warmer more bass oriented tube. Bmichels. they are the Brimars with the stamps on. I have the other ones and found them quite different in sound style, flatter and less intimate than the red label Brimars.

It was kinda hard to make impressions of the Brimar 'cos they hadn't been burnt in. To my ears they sounded somewhat closed in terms of staging but that could entirely be due to the lack of run-in time. If memory serves (cos we listened to quite a bit of other gear today), to my ears they were quite mid centric but MTTheFirst had different thoughts (will let him divulge when he gets internet time).

The whole story may (and most likely will) change when they get a decent burn-in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back