Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Sep 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #2,191 of 3,813
just bought 5x Siemens DL620 (nearly the same as DL92, but f.e.lower heater voltage):

i already had bought 5x Lorenz DF61 (nearly the same as DF91, but also f.e.lower heater voltage):

This company here manufactures custom made tube amplifier output transformers (for example input impedance 1.5, 3.0, 4.5 KOhm, output impedance 2, 4, 8, 16 Ohm, 300 mW) all parameters selectable, up to Studio quality which means 15Hz to > 30Khz +- 0.1 dB !!!!:

http://www.roehrenendstufen.de/

using this tubes and very small output transformers it should be possible to build a real portable MINI TU-05 !

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #2,192 of 3,813
It was kinda hard to make impressions of the Brimar 'cos they hadn't been burnt in. To my ears they sounded somewhat closed in terms of staging but that could entirely be due to the lack of run-in time. If memory serves (cos we listened to quite a bit of other gear today), to my ears they were quite mid centric but MTTheFirst had different thoughts (will let him divulge when he gets internet time).

The whole story may (and most likely will) change when they get a decent burn-in time.

I can understand the closed feeling. I had that when mine were new. Also. I wonder. These are two different amps and what may be great in the 05' may not be so great in the 0'6! Having said that these particular tubes I found are one of the ones that really open up with hours on them, more than others so it will be interesting to see if that affects things in the way they work with the 06'.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #2,193 of 3,813
Hi guys, I'm thinking about ordering a tu-05 for my hidition nt6 pro's but am not sure which impedance option to choose. The nt6 pros have an impedance of 45 ohms. Also what is the headphone out size? 3.5mm or 6.3mm? Thanks

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #2,195 of 3,813
Hi guys, I'm thinking about ordering a tu-05 for my hidition nt6 pro's but am not sure which impedance option to choose. The nt6 pros have an impedance of 45 ohms. Also what is the headphone out size? 3.5mm or 6.3mm? Thanks

I had to look that one up, there are so many new makers out there now!

The amp will drive them easily. You would want the mid setting though I think it useful to have choice so would go for the gain selection option. What other headphones do you have. The 05 can drive up to 200ohm headphones.

The amp uses a 3.5mm socket as standard though the beauty of this amp is it's bespoke nature so if you wanted a 6.3mm socket you could order the long case version. Some folks have also ordered it with RCA inputs as well.

As far as I am aware Shikada San does not offer balanced outputs or inputs though.

Let us know how you get on. Shikada san is great to deal with. If you have a Facebook account you can like his page and I have found responses from him to be quicker via FB messaging. Just remember he is a one man band so you may not get an immediate reply.

I think the current wait for a stock amp is 6 weeks.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #2,196 of 3,813
I had to look that one up, there are so many new makers out there now!

The amp will drive them easily. You would want the mid setting though I think it useful to have choice so would go for the gain selection option. What other headphones do you have. The 05 can drive up to 200ohm headphones.

The amp uses a 3.5mm socket as standard though the beauty of this amp is it's bespoke nature so if you wanted a 6.3mm socket you could order the long case version. Some folks have also ordered it with RCA inputs as well.

As far as I am aware Shikada San does not offer balanced outputs or inputs though.

Let us know how you get on. Shikada san is great to deal with. If you have a Facebook account you can like his page and I have found responses from him to be quicker via FB messaging. Just remember he is a one man band so you may not get an immediate reply.

Wow thanks for helping! Is there any benefit to having the the headphone out socket be 6.3mm over 3.5mm?

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #2,197 of 3,813
I think the 6.3mm sockets are generally stronger but I have the new 3.5mm socket in my amp and it feels nice and strong. Be aware the 6.3mm socket would come at a premium as it requires a bigger case. Personally unless I was using headphones with 6.3mm jacks I would not bother.

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #2,198 of 3,813
I think the 6.3mm sockets are generally stronger but I have the new 3.5mm socket in my amp and it feels nice and strong. Be aware the 6.3mm socket would come at a premium as it requires a bigger case. Personally unless I was using headphones with 6.3mm jacks I would not bother.

Hey guys, I want to straight out say I know absolutely nothing about tubes or tube amps so I need help getting tubes for this amp. What is(are) the best tube(s) for the TU-05? An where can I order it(them)? Thanks so much

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #2,199 of 3,813

On the website the TU-05 is quoting Nov. TUR-06 is quoting Dec. Every week I delay my heart sinks a little more :p

I have asked Anak on his 06 review for a comparison to the Alo Pan Am. There is nothing on this thread other than an isolated TU-05 is "more musical". Think I will PM that member too!

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #2,200 of 3,813
I think the 06 is proving to be more challenging to build than the 05. Add to that that there are more orders for both coming in and Shikada San has one pair of hands.. Still, December is not that far off!!:D

I have to say having had mine away for a month having the modifications done really showed me how much it has added to my enjoyment of music. I thought right out of the AK120 was great until I heard so much more when it was plugged in to the 05!

It's worth the wait!

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #2,201 of 3,813

One very good solution for you is to have a 4 pin XLR plug fitted in the back of unit (where is normaly the charging socket). This should be possible even without needing the " long case". Then you put the charging socket on the side bellow the power switch.

Shikada san was ok tu put for me XLR in but... I asked too late when m'y unit was ready to ship :frowning2:((

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #2,203 of 3,813
Guys who own the TU-05, as of now, what is your number one absolute favorite tube combo for the tu-05? I really need somewhere to start off, thanks for the help.

This is so hard to say as I have said many times here, what is my favourite might not be yours, Having said that!

Currently my reference for the 3S4 stage is the Phillips Miniwatt. It combines depth with detail.

For the 1T4/U4 stage it is a choice of three depending on my mood. Brimar Red Letter, Lorenz Stuttgart or Mazda/Cifte

Of the three the Mazda/Cifte are the easiest to get hold of, the Brimar and Lorenz have similar properties to unobtanium!

A suitable replacement for the Brimar would be I feel the Mazda (the Mazda lacks a little of the bass of the Brimar) and a replacement for the Lorenz I feel would be the Siemens or Telefunken. A middle ground would be the much more obtainable and excellent Radiotechnique.

Be aware that in my experience the Red letter Brimar is a very different animal to the stock one. I found the stock one rather lifeless in comparison.

Bottom line for me is that though I love the Brimar/Phillips I still come back to the Lorenz/Phillips combo.

Sep 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2,204 of 3,813
One very good solution for you is to have a 4 pin XLR plug fitted in the back of unit (where is normaly the charging socket). This should be possible even without needing the " long case". Then you put the charging socket on the side bellow the power switch.

Shikada san was ok tu put for me XLR in but... I asked too late when m'y unit was ready to ship :frowning2:((

Before I placed my order on the TU-05, I've asked Shikada San for the option to have a 4 pin XLR.
At that time he said it's not possible because TU-05 is not designed for balance connection.
Hence if the balance plug installed, it will serve only 1 channel, either it's only the left or only right channel.
I don't know anything about this, hence I drop that option on the first hand.

I would like to hear if this option is indeed possible.

Sep 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #2,205 of 3,813
  Wow thanks for helping! Is there any benefit to having the the headphone out socket be 6.3mm over 3.5mm?

I agree to Ian's comment, as I also had his opinion before decided to have the additional 6.3mm socket.
I have few headphones and IEMs with 3.5mm and 6.3mm jacks and I would like to "prevent" of using any adapters, hence I took that option.
It will come with the expense of portability though, since it will have a longer/bigger and obviously "heavier" case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back