Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Sep 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #2,222 of 3,814
  Also where can I get some Philips Miniwatt DL92's? Is anyone willing to sell me theirs? 
biggrin.gif

Since nearly 2 month absolutely no philips dl92 to find !

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #2,223 of 3,814
GermanGuy, look what I got today ! 
wink.gif
 Now I will be able to test your Killer Combo :  RFT DF97 / PHILCO 1S4

But, is it a problem that the 4 are not the same red/yellow/blue box like yours ?
mad.gif

--> have you also received/tested some in the blue/yellow box ? (they seems to have the same print on the tube)

and by the way, have you finaly tested the  RFT DF97 - Mullard DL92 combo

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #2,224 of 3,814
Bmichels, where on earth are you getting those wonderful hole plate tubes from???

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #2,225 of 3,814
Also, though your Mazda's say made in Britain I will bet a pound to a penny they were made at the same Factory as my French Mazda's as from what I can find out the later ones were all made there. Interestingly the same company made Brimar and Ediswan.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #2,226 of 3,814
Bmichels, where on earth are you getting those wonderful hole plate tubes from???

Ian, I was myself surprised when I opened the box, I did not expected them to be like this.  I must be lucky !   

I now hope that they will sound as good as the one without holes !

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #2,228 of 3,814
bmichels - seems you are always getting different tubes as with the lorenz.
smile.gif

btw, i can check my inventory, i only have philcos with this black yellow red boxes, all with yellow printing except one with orange/red printing.

so if you post a picture of all your philco tubes, we could exchange a tube, f.e. sending you the orange / red one getting a yellow back. there are yellow tubes with the philco label near to the bottom of the tube and yellow ones with the label in the middle.

i did not test the rft df97 -  mullard dl92 combo that long because so happy with the philco 1s4.

but the sylvania 1s4 sound promissing, also the rca and especialla the GE.

before cutting any pins: i ordered mini 7 pin tube sockets designed to be directly soldered as part of a pcb, i think it's possible to remove pin 1 of the socket and then use it as adaptor
 (only:a sample picture, nit exactly the same sockets):

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #2,230 of 3,814
I thought I would pop in the Marconi's today to try them with the Brimar red letter tubes. Got them warming up as I type and will report back! You can see how poor the lettering was on my Brimar's, still I can tell what they are!

Sep 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #2,232 of 3,814
Wowzers! The Marconi's have become something even more than I remember. This has to be down to three things. New source that is far more revealing, new tubes to work with (Brimar 1T4 red letter) and very effective isolation with my new amp platform.

Firstly, though the Marconi's are silent tubes they are lively in terms of tinging noise when the volume is turned. The new isolation bass I have made takes care of that and this proves to me that what I have now is much better for tubes! Secondly they are a perfect match with the Brimar's.

There is a little more bass than the Phillips but at the same time there is a wider soundstage and within that soundstage there is layering and pin point accuracy, just phenomenal! But all this space and detail does not come at the expense of intimacy. Female vocals are close and breathy and fingers on strings have texture to die for!

I love it. I am so glad I have these Marconi's now. They have increased in musicality and silence even more than before!

And before anyone asks, they are unobtanium!

Sep 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #2,233 of 3,814
GermanGuy, here are my 4 philco.  All with yellow printing. 

The one on the right is coming from the red/yellow box, the 3 others are coming from the Blue/yellow box.

I have 2 with printing in the upper part and 2 with printing in the lower part !  

--> Should I pair them according to this "printing position" classification ? Or based on the colour of the box ? 

Sep 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #2,234 of 3,814
  Guys who own the TU-05, as of now, what is your number one absolute favorite tube combo for the tu-05? I really need somewhere to start off, thanks for the help.

RFT DF97 - PHILCO 1S4

(only compatible with modification).

would be much easier to give you a recommendation if you post some information about your sonic preferences and music genres and the headphones you want to use.

Sep 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #2,235 of 3,814
i would pair them based on printing on the tubes, because it looks like they tried to get a more modern look on their cardboard boxes, but printing is done during manufactoring!

the two tubes on the right side seem to be manufactured on the same line, have a look at the not exactly horizontal printing/label with exactly the same angle!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back