Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Sep 18, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #2,236 of 3,814
Want channel separation ?
wink.gif
     Wooaudio W234 Headphone amps Mono blocs !

Only 60 lb... per channel.

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #2,238 of 3,814
Testing PHILCO 1S4 with the RTF 97.  need some hours of break-in before deciding if I prefer them to PHILCO 1S4+Philips DL92

But... I has a shock, because initially I forgot to cut Pin N°1 of the PHILCO, so I couldn't hear any sound out of the AMP !  

--> Hope I did not damaged the Philco... or the amp ! ?

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #2,240 of 3,814

The spec say 60 lb per channel and also 7500 USD per channel too. 
size]

yes...and also, we will always have to deal with volume channel inballance !!! pain in the....

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #2,241 of 3,814
  nothing will be damaged due to the batttery pack protection circuit, the first time i did this for more than half an hour!

Good
tongue.gif
 i am reassured !   

GermanGuy, Question:  according to your spreadsheet, the PHILCO have a much higher current drain than some other much more frugal tubes !  -->  So... don't you have a shorter battery life with this PHILCO 1S4 + RTF 97 combo ?

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #2,242 of 3,814
Done.... I ordered a XLR plug for my Mod.  I tried to choose one as short as possible... :)  

I hope that it will fit inside the short TU-05's case (in place of the charging plug)

- For the XLR cabling I will use the same cooper cable that has been used for re-wiring my TH-900 balanced. And since the 2 (right & left) ground of the transformer output will not be connected together anymore, may be I will experience a better channel separation (if I disconnect the 1/8 jack on the front) ?  What do you think GG ?

- I may also want to do the recabling of the Input jack up to the board/tube.... ?  But here I don't know if I should also use the same Cooper cable or if another cable will make more sense ? ? ? 

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #2,243 of 3,814

Good !

GermanGuy, Question:  according to your spreadsheet, the PHILCO have a much higher current drain than some other much more frugal tubes !
So... don't you have a shorter battery life with this PHILCO 1S4 + RTF 97 combo ?

No it hasn´t, if you read the table correctly, a DL92 has two heater parts = 2x50mA = 100 mA, the Philco has one heater part 1x100mA = 100 mA , voltage is always 1.4 volt!

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #2,245 of 3,814

Done.... I ordered a XLR plug for my Mod.  I tried to choose one as short as possible... :)

I hope that it will fit inside the short TU-05's case (in place of the charging plug)

- For the XLR cabling I will use the same cooper cable that has been used for re-wiring my TH-900 balanced. And since the 2 (right & left) ground of the transformer output will not be connected together anymore, may be I will experience a better channel separation ?  What do you think GG ?

Which type / order number / manufacturer ?

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #2,246 of 3,814
  Which type / order number / manufacturer ?

I ordered 2 different type... in case : 

http://www.audiophonics.fr/neutrik-nc4fdl1-embase-xlr-femelle-poles-p-5753.html

http://www.audiophonics.fr/monacor-nc505j-embase-xlr-plaquee-femelle-p-7821.html

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #2,247 of 3,814

After ordering how long does it take for the amp to arrive? A month, 2 months?

i would say it takes until it arrives! (hard to estimate at the moment)  mine took 2 month after ordering at a time mid of this year when shikada-san i think wasn´t as busy as today after the tu-06 business has started.  at the moment shikada-san seems really busy as he wrote me an (very polite and friendly) email he will answer some questions i sent him later because too busy. but if you have a look at the facebook site you may find a information about delivery time for new orders.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #2,249 of 3,814
  Why not the black aluminium neutriks ?

Dammned, I did not see them on the audiophonics site !  do you have a link to them to order them ? 

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #2,250 of 3,814
After ordering how long does it take for the amp to arrive? A month, 2 months?

I think the 05's is projected at the moment as a 6 week build time from what I can see on his website it looks like he is now listing November as delivery time so 6-8 weeks I am guessing and that is for a stock amp, longer if you want custom work.

What colour are you going for?

I wanted to also say that the stock tubes he supplies now are far superior to the ones that came with my amp at the beginning of the year, really nice Mil-spec US tubes. But of course the lovely thing is that you have some weeks to look for other tubes.

Can I recommend you go through the thread and see what folks have said about the tubes they use and how they feel about them and see if their equipment and musical tastes match yours. I have done this and always ended up with the right things. You don't need hundreds of tubes, just the right ones for your tastes. One of the reasons I went on my tube odyssey was to hopefully help others not have to do that by describing the various traits of different makes of tubes.

No one really needs lots of tubes I feel, just the right ones!

Be aware as well that many tubes are not what they say on the glass. My phillips say made in Holland when in fact they were made in England! A great many Mil-spec tubes were made for the war effort so all the different makers made tubes for each other to fill quota's so what may say Brimar could in fact be Mazda or Ediswan or what says Sylvania could in fact be a Ken Rad or GE!

So seeing what someone is using then going out and buying what you think is the same make will not necessarily mean you get the same tube!

Also, and this is really important and I have said it many many times before. Yes, there are differences in the sound style of tubes but they are just the sprinkles on top of the icing of the cake, that is all. The amp with stock tubes sounds wonderful, absolutely wonderful and for me personally to bugger around with it too much is to alter the basic ethos of the amplifier. If you like doing that fine and dandy but for me the stock amp with some nice tubes is a thing of beauty to listen to I feel.

And remember, in stock mode some folks here have compared it to amps double, treble the price and it still wins sonically and that is with stock tubes!

I just wanted to say that as there is so much talk of modification and tube rolling ( and I am guilty of the latter!) that one forgets that this amp is just a beautiful amp right out of the box!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back