Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Sep 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #2,116 of 3,813

FAD PF are very popular with audiophiles. Seems like so few have FAD PF X however. Why so few people seem to upgrade from earlier models? Can't believe it would be price.

Has anybody tried any resonance damping on the inside of their TU-05?

think about doing that when implementing my "big mod", but a lot of research needed before!

Edit: it IS the price!!!

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #2,118 of 3,813
That looks great! It looks like nice thick leather that will age really well with time.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #2,119 of 3,813
That looks great AnakChan, Congrats!

Shikada-san offered to send my brown case for the TU-05 last week, I refused and asked him just to send everything with the TU-06. No point wasting money on shipping. So I think the brown case on his facebook is mine, that is going to another customer first. OR at least I think I ordered brown cases for both the TU-05 and TU-06.

He did mention that the TU-06 was a little delayed again, I think..................... 

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #2,121 of 3,813
That is slick AnakChan! Also your mini IC looks just as slick, what kind is it?

Edit: Great photo, btw!

The IC is by Mezzo Soprano of which I reviewed briefly here. I'm tempted to bring this to the office tomorrow but kinda worried what my work colleagues will say :wink:.

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #2,122 of 3,813
AnakChan, how would you compare the Zana Deux SE to TU-05? I'm considering buying one of them to pair with my Fostex TH900 (and also ACS T1 ciem and T5p), and they both seem to offer different advantages...

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #2,123 of 3,813
AnakChan, how would you compare the Zana Deux SE to TU-05? I'm considering buying one of them to pair with my Fostex TH900 (and also ACS T1 ciem and T5p), and they both seem to offer different advantages...

In my personal opinion, the ZDSE still wins out primarily cos it has a huge transformer/power to drive it with the 6C33C-B driver tubes. However, when I wrote the TU-05b review, it was on loan for a week from Shikada-san therefore I didn't have any tubes to roll. I don't know if it would have changed my thoughts by much though. I actually think the WA7 and the TU-05b would be a more interesting comparison. It's a pity that I never had both side-by-side to compare.

However in terms of (trans)portables, I don't know of any other that would give as close as possible to a desktop sound but the flexibility of mobility than the TU-05b.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2,125 of 3,813
since about one week i face the problem that using my tablet and opera mobile browser  sometimes there is an editor, often not, often cryptic formatting sequences to see, sometimes the pictures, often only the html embedding code, it's really a nightmare. 

do you have the same experience?

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #2,126 of 3,813
In my personal opinion, the ZDSE still wins out primarily cos it has a huge transformer/power to drive it with the 6C33C-B driver tubes. However, when I wrote the TU-05b review, it was on loan for a week from Shikada-san therefore I didn't have any tubes to roll. I don't know if it would have changed my thoughts by much though. I actually think the WA7 and the TU-05b would be a more interesting comparison. It's a pity that I never had both side-by-side to compare.

However in terms of (trans)portables, I don't know of any other that would give as close as possible to a desktop sound but the flexibility of mobility than the TU-05b.

Thanks for your thoughts. Portability is a huge plus in my book. I listen to music in different parts of my house. I have a AK120, so I'm not so keen on spending money on the dac side of WA7. But I will check out a bit more of what other headfiers thinks about it.

The only thing I worry about is if the customs in Norway will stop equipment without CE approvement... Are there anyone here from Norway who has bought such gear?

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #2,127 of 3,813
Thanks for your thoughts. Portability is a huge plus in my book. I listen to music in different parts of my house. I have a AK120, so I'm not so keen on spending money on the dac side of WA7. But I will check out a bit more of what other headfiers thinks about it.

The only thing I worry about is if the customs in Norway will stop equipment without CE approvement... Are there anyone here from Norway who has bought such gear?

I guess you've seen BMichel's rig? It seems to be what you're after...the TU-05b + TH-900 and AK120 I think (or was it the modded RWAK120?).

I have talked to Shikada-san about the CE approval actually. Good point on where that's up. Maybe Ianmedium may know. He seems to talk to Shikada-san more than me (despite me being in the same country :p).

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #2,128 of 3,813
  since about one week i face the problem that using my tablet and opera mobile browser  sometimes there is an editor, often not, often cryptic formatting sequences to see, sometimes the pictures, often only the html embedding code, it's really a nightmare. 

do you have the same experience?

HI GG, I'm using the iPad and haven't encountered anything that's worse than usual.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #2,129 of 3,813
Well this is quite a revelation for me! Since getting my amp back I am rediscovering its joys and finding new ones.

I think firstly that using the AK120 has proved to be a substantial increase in quality over my last source, the HM-801. I knew listening from the headphone out that the AK120 was the better player but only by plugging it into a high quality amp can I see how much better it is!

There is a refinement and maturity of the sound that one generally only gets in the better DAC's in home systems. Also this is as close as I have come in portable audio to albums on CD sounding like vinyl. Two played tonight show that for me. Phil Collins first solo album, Face Value and Roxy Music's Avalon.

I have owned both albums over the years on vinyl, CD and cassette. Both on CD were lacklustre, especially Avalon, sounded thin and laking dynamics. Ripped from CD to FLAC via XLD These albums on the AK120/TU-05 combination sound so different to the CD they were ripped from. I can only put that down to the player (as I tried them right out of the HP out and they sounded great) but also in combination with the 05 that great went to,"what, this cannot happen, how can this happen"?

Honestly, they both have the warmth, the feeling of intimacy (especially Face Value) that I last heard on Vinyl and Cassette. This player is outstanding and the 05 just shows that so much more. Likewise the 120 shows even more what an incredible design Shikada San has created here with this amp.

Also, I think as well it must be said that my new isolation platform is working beautifully. With it what little noise floor there is with this amp just disappears completely ( and when I say noise floor I mean the tubes not the amp which is always silent in my experience) The tubes are deadly silent and the music just hangs in an inky black deep space. Sheila Jordan's voice just hangs there. Three dimensional, breathy and intimate. I have not heard this CD rip sound better!

The last thing and I think one of the most important which really ties all these positives together is this cheap little Audioquest cable. It is truly astonishing as it simply does not impart anything in the sonic. Every time I put the Cardas in the music becomes softer and less emotional. Switch to the Kimber and the music feels rough. Go back to the Audioquest and well, its just music, nothing added, nothing taken away.

Its not a fashionable cable. It has no ultra expensive exotic materials, just solid long grain copper conductors but it does what Audioquest has as its motto, "first do no harm".

The other thing this new set up has done is show me how truly great a design the Beyerdynamic T5P's are. With great equipment they show that they simply reproduce the signal they are given. If there is deep bass its there, if not then the T5P does not make up stories. It is not like the HD800 which many say is better, I just find unemotional. I have yet to hear that headphone, even with tubes, involve me in music. Great for analyzing the last degree I agree but for me it is a studio tool not a headphone to enjoy a wide range of music with which saddens me as I love Sennheiser!

I have said this before but will say it again with some additions. The TU-05 to me is like a Nagra pre amp in they way it delivers music. Go listen to one if you get the chance, you will see what I mean! The AK120 for me is in many ways very similar to an experience I have many years ago when I got to listen to DCS's original Elgar DAC which when I heard it was used in conjunction with a Wadia transport. There was an intimacy and detail about that set up that was intoxicating and whilst I would not dream of saying the AK120 is the same it gives a very similar feeling that I felt listening to that set up in terms of musical involvement. Who would have thought a mere 13 years later that I could be saying that about a portable player!

Lastly the T5P's to me are the headphone equivalent of Wilson speakers in terms of transparency and the ability to convey musical emotion and timing. I actually said that to Debby (Dave Wilson's daughter) a little while ago and she went and listened to a a pair and understood what I meant!

So there we are. I am so glad that my amp is back, music has never sounded better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back