An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Apr 9, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #1,156 of 1,492
It's a little tricky to say for sure. I wouldn't say it's a big improvement in quality though there does seem to be a little bit more control and presence to lowend which is nice.

Though it's pretty hard to ab unfortunately.

That being said, I'd pay for it just for the reliability tbh :p have had no issues with static etc on the src-dx but couldn't fix it at all with Dave's usb
How are you using the SRC.DX and where in the system? I admit I have never used it with HQP to generate 705/768 but I have used it with PGGB generated 768 files. With those PGGB generated 768 files I never had any issues with using USB direct to the Dave from my Antipodes K50 usb output, ie never any static, pops or clicks.

However my main use of the SRC.DX is between the source and the Mscaler using just a single bnc cable. In this configuration I find the sound using the SRC.DX quite compelling and preferable by some margin to my ears compared to taking the source usb direct to the Mscaler. Rob Watts has recently been mounting a defence of the usb input into the Mscaler and the Dave and so I did spend a few days going back to using usb direct and yes it was indeed very good but there are differences in going through the SRC.DX and using the BNC inputs and I prefer that sound. One thing to mention (and of course I would say this) is that the bnc cable between the SRC.DX and the Mscaler or Dave does make quite a difference whether it is a single cable to the Mscaler or dual bnc to the Dave.

Another thing that may be different in what we hear is that I think that you use Roon on your server. I have tried and tried to get on with Roon but no matter how much I like its interface I have never been able to put up with its slightly veiled sound for more than about half an hour before reverting to my Squeeze sever and Squeezelite player combination. I have used Roon as the server with its own player and have also used Roon with HQP and the Squeezelite player option but neither removes the Roon ‘effect’. I probably notice the Roon effect most in the lower mids and bass where I hear a blurring or lack of definition. It is quite noticeable on my speaker system and was the same when I used Roon on my Innuos Statement (this was before Innuos developed their own software so I was comparing it with LMS on the Statement). Basically there is no way I am going to invest in the kit I have and then have a slight veil pulled over the sound by using Roon. Also I do find the Roon sound makes it more difficult to hear differences between devices. It seems to level everything down a bit.

I also had issues with pops and clicks and white Noise with my Qutest direct connected with my MacBook Pro - white Noise appeared every time, no matter what sample rate i used, can anyone explain that, is it the Amanero? anyway this should not happen with such expensive DACs - i also bought an SRC-DX because of that and now have no Problems anymore, so i think it should solve your Problem too. Sound has also changed by the way, more and punchier bass and more authority and depth because of that. I think the SRC-DX is a good choice, but not that cheep. Does anyone use the Opto DX in combination with the SRC-DX? I would like to know if there is still some room to get better Sound😉 enjoy your music everyone and have fun!
No, I do not think your issue was anything to do with the usb input on the Qutest. Like I have said to GoldenOne above I was able to send PGGB 768 files to my Dave by USB from my Antipodes and never had a single pop or click.

I think your description of more and punchier bass and more authority with the SRC.DX is also what I hear. I would expect that the Opto-DX will have an effect but I no longer have mine so cannot say for sure. You could just try using different bnc cables initially to see what you hear.

In passing I must add that I also have a PhoenixUSB between the K50 and the SRC.DX. It is not needed but it is one of those things that once heard it is difficult to ignore the effect.

Apr 9, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #1,157 of 1,492
How are you using the SRC.DX and where in the system? I admit I have never used it with HQP to generate 705/768 but I have used it with PGGB generated 768 files. With those PGGB generated 768 files I never had any issues with using USB direct to the Dave from my Antipodes K50 usb output, ie never any static, pops or clicks.

However my main use of the SRC.DX is between the source and the Mscaler using just a single bnc cable. In this configuration I find the sound using the SRC.DX quite compelling and preferable by some margin to my ears compared to taking the source usb direct to the Mscaler. Rob Watts has recently been mounting a defence of the usb input into the Mscaler and the Dave and so I did spend a few days going back to using usb direct and yes it was indeed very good but there are differences in going through the SRC.DX and using the BNC inputs and I prefer that sound. One thing to mention (and of course I would say this) is that the bnc cable between the SRC.DX and the Mscaler or Dave does make quite a difference whether it is a single cable to the Mscaler or dual bnc to the Dave.

Another thing that may be different in what we hear is that I think that you use Roon on your server. I have tried and tried to get on with Roon but no matter how much I like its interface I have never been able to put up with its slightly veiled sound for more than about half an hour before reverting to my Squeeze sever and Squeezelite player combination. I have used Roon as the server with its own player and have also used Roon with HQP and the Squeezelite player option but neither removes the Roon ‘effect’. I probably notice the Roon effect most in the lower mids and bass where I hear a blurring or lack of definition. It is quite noticeable on my speaker system and was the same when I used Roon on my Innuos Statement (this was before Innuos developed their own software so I was comparing it with LMS on the Statement). Basically there is no way I am going to invest in the kit I have and then have a slight veil pulled over the sound by using Roon. Also I do find the Roon sound makes it more difficult to hear differences between devices. It seems to level everything down a bit.

No, I do not think your issue was anything to do with the usb input on the Qutest. Like I have said to GoldenOne above I was able to send PGGB 768 files to my Dave by USB from my Antipodes and never had a single pop or click.

I think your description of more and punchier bass and more authority with the SRC.DX is also what I hear. I would expect that the Opto-DX will have an effect but I no longer have mine so cannot say for sure. You could just try using different bnc cables initially to see what you hear.

In passing I must add that I also have a PhoenixUSB between the K50 and the SRC.DX. It is not needed but it is one of those things that once heard it is difficult to ignore the effect.
Thanks for your advice Triode User, im gonna try that👍 what is this Phoenix usb Cable? I could not find it.

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #1,158 of 1,492
Thanks for your advice Triode User, im gonna try that👍 what is this Phoenix usb Cable? I could not find it.
You will not find a PhoenixUSB cable because it is the Innuos PhoenixUSB Reclocker.

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #1,160 of 1,492
I'm sorry if I'm interrupting the super interesting technical discussion as it has given me quite a bit of food for thought. I've always dreamed of my personal end game system of the Gaia into a Tambaqui and then a Woo Wa33. After reading all this it sounds like a complete Kitsune chain (Singxer, May, Serene) would save me not only money but seems to sound a whole lot better from all your experiences as well? What headphone amp would I put at the end? Benchmark HA4? So much to contemplate...

Apr 25, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #1,161 of 1,492
I'm sorry if I'm interrupting the super interesting technical discussion as it has given me quite a bit of food for thought. I've always dreamed of my personal end game system of the Gaia into a Tambaqui and then a Woo Wa33. After reading all this it sounds like a complete Kitsune chain (Singxer, May, Serene) would save me not only money but seems to sound a whole lot better from all your experiences as well? What headphone amp would I put at the end? Benchmark HA4? So much to contemplate...

I had used Holo May with Tube amp WA33 and also with SS amp Simaudio Moon 430, both sounded great and again it will come down to the preference of amp characteristics. In my conversation with Kitsune team, they have good experience with Benchmark HPA4 as well. You wont go wrong with these 3 amp choices so see which amp signature suits your taste. One main element I would add to the chain is HQ Player upsampler which will complete the nirvana state, IMO that will make more noticeable audible differences, probably more than Pre amp or cables or input.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #1,162 of 1,492
I had used Holo May with Tube amp WA33 and also with SS amp Simaudio Moon 430, both sounded great and again it will come down to the preference of amp characteristics. In my conversation with Kitsune team, they have good experience with Benchmark HPA4 as well. You wont go wrong with these 3 amp choices so see which amp signature suits your taste. One main element I would add to the chain is HQ Player upsampler which will complete the nirvana state, IMO that will make more noticeable audible differences, probably more than Pre amp or cables or input.
Thank you so much for your response. Looks like the Holo May KTE is coming on the list for this year instead of the Tambaqui. As for the preamp I’m still torn as I was going to use the WA33 not only for headphones but also as a preamp for my speaker system. But step by step to not let my wallet bleed too much. The HA4 is after all a lot easier to get…

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #1,163 of 1,492
Thank you so much for your response. Looks like the Holo May KTE is coming on the list for this year instead of the Tambaqui. As for the preamp I’m still torn as I was going to use the WA33 not only for headphones but also as a preamp for my speaker system. But step by step to not let my wallet bleed too much. The HA4 is after all a lot easier to get…

Out of interest which hp’s will you be driving? I’m driving utopia with the serene and it’s the best ss hp amp I’ve heard to date, more resolved than the hpa4 with a far easier, smoother sound plus bass definition and impact to die for:)

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #1,164 of 1,492
Out of interest which hp’s will you be driving? I’m driving utopia with the serene and it’s the best ss hp amp I’ve heard to date, more resolved than the hpa4 with a far easier, smoother sound plus bass definition and impact to die for:)
Yes, I saw the wonderful adapter out of the XLR1 output in Golden Ears video which blew my mind. I have the Utopias as well along with the Stellia for when it gets to noisy in the neighbourhood. Where would I get the adapter? And would it be able to drive my beloved Abyss Diana V2s and TCs as well? ZMF Verite closed?

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #1,165 of 1,492
And here i am just about to buy the HPA4 :p

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #1,166 of 1,492
The Serene has me so excited for the Bliss.
The Serene is my favourite SS headphone amp too. Though with the downsides that you can't run single-ended headphones, and that it doesn't quite have enough oomph to run Susvara to the fullest extent. 3W is plenty for just about anything else but Susvara I still prefer on a speaker amp.

But everything else from 1266 to HD800 to Atrium, the Serene is my fav amp.

And here i am just about to buy the HPA4 :p
I personally wouldn't go for the HPA4. The problem with the HPA4 is you're not paying for a $3000 headphone amp. You're paying for a $2500 preamp (LA4) with a $500 headphone amp module added on.
IMO the HPA4 is fine but it's not worth the money and is honestly a slightly better Topping A90.

Other amps like the Ferrum OOR or Holo Serene I'd take instead in a heartbeat (Though if planning on going Serene I'd wait for the Bliss at this point as it's supposedly coming out in the next couple months)

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #1,167 of 1,492
I personally wouldn't go for the HPA4. The problem with the HPA4 is you're not paying for a $3000 headphone amp. You're paying for a $2500 preamp (LA4) with a $500 headphone amp module added on.
IMO the HPA4 is fine but it's not worth the money and is honestly a slightly better Topping A90.

Other amps like the Ferrum OOR or Holo Serene I'd take instead in a heartbeat (Though if planning on going Serene I'd wait for the Bliss at this point as it's supposedly coming out in the next couple months)
The Pre-amp is so good though :p it's more transparent than direct to Dave, which is a revelation imo. The issue is that it sounds even leaner than direct to Dave. Much more detail and clarity, but leaner. And this is with easy to drive Elites. I don't plan on getting Susvaras or any other headphones frankly, just optimizing my current setup.
Alternatively, i'm also considering a Weiss 501, but i'm sure that would also benefit from a headphone amp.

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #1,168 of 1,492
The Pre-amp is so good though :p it's more transparent than direct to Dave, which is a revelation imo. The issue is that it sounds even leaner than direct to Dave. Much more detail and clarity, but leaner. And this is with easy to drive Elites. I don't plan on getting Susvaras or any other headphones frankly, just optimizing my current setup.
Alternatively, i'm also considering a Weiss 501, but i'm sure that would also benefit from a headphone amp.
Yep that was part of the problem I had with the HPA4 (and other similar design amps like the THX 789). They're very lean and sterile sounding.
Detailed, but lean and after a while, honestly feeling lacking.

It seems to be a common trend amongst the nested-feedback opamp based designs.
Other very high performing amps that are not using IC opamps don't seem to have this issue.
The Serene preamp outperforms the LA4 objectively for example but doesn't have that lean/thin sound. ( https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-holoaudio-serene-preamplifierpre-retail/ )

Or comparing a headphone amp like an A90 or HPA4 to something like a Singxer SA-1.
All super high SINAD etc but the SA-1 doesn't sound near as clinical as the other two

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #1,169 of 1,492
Yep that was part of the problem I had with the HPA4 (and other similar design amps like the THX 789). They're very lean and sterile sounding.
Detailed, but lean and after a while, honestly feeling lacking.

It seems to be a common trend amongst the nested-feedback opamp based designs.
Other very high performing amps that are not using IC opamps don't seem to have this issue.
The Serene preamp outperforms the LA4 objectively for example but doesn't have that lean/thin sound. ( https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-holoaudio-serene-preamplifierpre-retail/ )

Or comparing a headphone amp like an A90 or HPA4 to something like a Singxer SA-1.
All super high SINAD etc but the SA-1 doesn't sound near as clinical as the other two
Sadly it's way too big for my desk, i'm considering a Weiss specifically to get rid of the boxes and reclaim some space vs a Dave setup. If you and others hadn't totaled Bartok in your reviews i might've gone for the HP edition :p. Any thoughts on the Enleum as an alternative? I'm weary of the sterile sound since i've been down that road before and i know i get sick of it, however i'm not in the "tube amp" camp either, i'd like to preserve Dave's sound signature (or any dac's).

Apr 26, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #1,170 of 1,492
Sadly it's way too big for my desk, i'm considering a Weiss specifically to get rid of the boxes and reclaim some space vs a Dave setup. If you and others hadn't totaled Bartok in your reviews i might've gone for the HP edition :p. Any thoughts on the Enleum as an alternative? I'm weary of the sterile sound since i've been down that road before and i know i get sick of it, however i'm not in the "tube amp" camp either, i'd like to preserve Dave's sound signature (or any dac's).
I've not had the opportunity to try the Enleum myself unfortunately but people whose ears I trust all adore it.
Apparently it's definitely a warmer leaning amp, so be aware of that in case it's not your thing, but it seems to be pretty universally liked.

If wanting to save space, consider a Ferrum OOR/HYPSOS combo perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back