An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Apr 26, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #1,171 of 1,492
I've not had the opportunity to try the Enleum myself unfortunately but people whose ears I trust all adore it.
Apparently it's definitely a warmer leaning amp, so be aware of that in case it's not your thing, but it seems to be pretty universally liked.

If wanting to save space, consider a Ferrum OOR/HYPSOS combo perhaps.
The Elites are also a bit warm, i was very impressed with the imaging, detail ,speed, and bass out of the HPA4 compared to direct Dave. The fact that it sounded a bit leaner gave me a bit of pause.
Both the Enleum and the Ferrum are a tough sell unheard for me... Especially people testing them only seem to care about how well they drive Susvara, and i'm in a completely different use case. The HPA4 is way too powerful for the Elites as it is, I listen below 50% volume.

Apr 29, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #1,172 of 1,492
Deleted because i'm and occasional idiot who should find better things to do with his lunch hour :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #1,173 of 1,492
quick note for anyone who wants to run single ended HPs from the Serene. It will work with similar adapter to the 2 x3pin XLR to 4pin XLR adapter and although i'm not a massive fan of adding in unnecessary connections, if you use good wire and plugs and keep it short IME any SQ drop off are negligible :)

IMG_4992.jpg
Be careful when doing this.

If you're leaving the negative connection floating it may be safe and should work fine (though may be worth checking with Jeff just in case?)
But if you're shorting the negative connection to ground this could damage the serene

Apr 29, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #1,174 of 1,492
Be careful when doing this.

If you're leaving the negative connection floating it may be safe and should work fine (though may be worth checking with Jeff just in case?)
But if you're shorting the negative connection to ground this could damage the serene

you are 100% right, i'm just having a little "blonde" friday lunchtime moment.. As you were :wink:

Apr 30, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #1,176 of 1,492
Is that from one of your secret sources? Will you be getting one in when it's released for review and measurements?
Not really a secret :p I just emailed Jeff and asked.
I certainly hope to get one in. Ill ask if I can borrow a review unit but will likely buy one anyway.

May 25, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #1,178 of 1,492
Hey GoldenOne, I'm considering a balanced gold point attenuator to be between my holo may and a mcintosh amp. I saw your video about passive and active preamps and cable length affecting treble roll off (which is why I like to keep my cables short as well). Does the cable length only matter from the passive preamp to the amplifier and not from the dac to the preamp? Thanks.

May 25, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #1,179 of 1,492
Hey GoldenOne, I'm considering a balanced gold point attenuator to be between my holo may and a mcintosh amp. I saw your video about passive and active preamps and cable length affecting treble roll off (which is why I like to keep my cables short as well). Does the cable length only matter from the passive preamp to the amplifier and not from the dac to the preamp? Thanks.
That's correct. The cable from the preamp to the amp is the one you need to keep as low capacitance as possible (primarily by keeping it short).

Jun 1, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #1,181 of 1,492
enter stage left, only 50hrs and while they're stretching the Serene's legs, theres something very addictive going on here :wink:

track 2:

IMG_5204.jpg
IMG_5206.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #1,182 of 1,492
Can someone point me in the right direction for a thread related to HQPlayer settings? I wasn't able to find an active one.

I am trying HQPlayer with my TT2. I was expecting my CPU to be used a lot more than it is...it's making me suspect it might not be upscaling.

I haven't done any critical listening yet, just playing around to see how much I can push my computer with HQPlayer.

Any tips on pushing my CPU a lot more? I've even added a 256k tap Audeze convolution filter, still not pushing it much at all.

settings.png

This is playing back a 192k flac file.

performance.png

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #1,183 of 1,492
Can someone point me in the right direction for a thread related to HQPlayer settings? I wasn't able to find an active one.

I am trying HQPlayer with my TT2. I was expecting my CPU to be used a lot more than it is...it's making me suspect it might not be upscaling.

I haven't done any critical listening yet, just playing around to see how much I can push my computer with HQPlayer.

Any tips on pushing my CPU a lot more? I've even added a 256k tap Audeze convolution filter, still not pushing it much at all.

settings.png

This is playing back a 192k flac file.

performance.png
PCM doesn't really push your pc that much. DSD will. Not sure which filters since i haven't used them. I've stuck to Sync L mostly and Sync Mx, which i've been preferring more and more. I'm surprised the Asio drivers work well for you, they crash catastrophically for me. Your settings look good, just remember to set dac bits to 18 if using USB in and 24 if using the SRC-DX

Jun 17, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #1,184 of 1,492
PCM doesn't really push your pc that much. DSD will. Not sure which filters since i haven't used them. I've stuck to Sync L mostly and Sync Mx, which i've been preferring more and more. I'm surprised the Asio drivers work well for you, they crash catastrophically for me. Your settings look good, just remember to set dac bits to 18 if using USB in and 24 if using the SRC-DX
Can you explain the DAC bits setting? I read the manual and it suggested to reduce it only when needed, like going over SPDIF should reduce it to 24. Why 18? I have also seen 20, and also leaving to Default if you're going over USB.

The Chord ASIO driver hasn't given me any issues (yet). I have just started playing with this, so let's see if I can notice any difference. It's been a while since I had the MScaler so I can't compare the two.

Jun 17, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #1,185 of 1,492
Can you explain the DAC bits setting? I read the manual and it suggested to reduce it only when needed, like going over SPDIF should reduce it to 24. Why 18? I have also seen 20, and also leaving to Default if you're going over USB.

The Chord ASIO driver hasn't given me any issues (yet). I have just started playing with this, so let's see if I can notice any difference. It's been a while since I had the MScaler so I can't compare the two.
This post explains it for Dave, not sure what the TT2's THD+N is :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/post-16873157

Users who are viewing this thread

Back