An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Apr 5, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #1,141 of 1,492
Audiowise are claiming that bypassing the USB clock lowers the overall noise and that has an impact on sound quality. They also claim they are filtering the noise, but since people are still using Wave cables with them, or the Opto-dx, not that well probably. There is still probably less than non isolated usb power lines out of a gaming pc.
It sounds like an Intona in front of the SRC-DX might be the way to go unless you have any other suggestion. I was really hoping to get rid of the cables and boxes on my desk.
Just got the SRC-DX in this morning (thank you Nick!)
Confirmed that it does NOT have galvanic isolation internally and the USB input/BNC outs share a ground connection, so you may wish to add a galvanic isolator to prevent noise from the source/PC getting through.

The device itself is pretty low noise though so if you have a clean source to begin with or an isolator you're good :)

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #1,142 of 1,492
Just got the SRC-DX in this morning (thank you Nick!)
Confirmed that it does NOT have galvanic isolation internally and the USB input/BNC outs share a ground connection, so you may wish to add a galvanic isolator to prevent noise from the source/PC getting through.

The device itself is pretty low noise though so if you have a clean source to begin with or an isolator you're good :)
Interesting that people prefer it to the USB in of the Dave, which has galvanic isolation. The M-scaler does have it on the BNC outs but I'm sure it's much noisier even so. I look forward to your measurements and impressions.
As a source the best candidate so far seems to be the SOTM ultra neo + psu. I noticed you've had it and sold it. Do you think it's a worthwhile improvement over a raspberry pi? I'm also curious to hear that Innuos Phoenix USB for myself at one point.

Apr 6, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #1,143 of 1,492
It is a challenge, as it involve not only bidirectional data transmission, but also DC signalling which is a part of USB protocol.

That's the tricky part, yes :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 8, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #1,144 of 1,492
Just got the Sotm box stack in for a home demo, using it with the Dave ,Hqplayer and Roon. Same issues, if not worse, than my pc's via Asio. Horrible distortion and static, unlistenable. @GoldenOne any suggestions?

Apr 8, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #1,145 of 1,492
Just got the Sotm box stack in for a home demo, using it with the Dave ,Hqplayer and Roon. Same issues, if not worse, than my pc's via Asio. Horrible distortion and static, unlistenable. @GoldenOne any suggestions?
I have never been able to get 768khz working reliably on chord DACs. I always got static sound either immediately or after a while

I have an src-dx here though and that's working perfectly

Apr 8, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #1,146 of 1,492
I have never been able to get 768khz working reliably on chord DACs. I always got static sound either immediately or after a while

I have an src-dx here though and that's working perfectly
My bad, it looks like my Hqplayer settings were reset when switching to the Sotm. Wasapi drivers are the only way to go with them sadly.
Going to be a fun weekend. Does it bring any other measurable (or otherwise) improvement ?

Apr 8, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #1,147 of 1,492
My bad, it looks like my Hqplayer settings were reset when switching to the Sotm. Wasapi drivers are the only way to go with them sadly.
Going to be a fun weekend. Does it bring any other measurable (or otherwise) improvement ?
It's a little tricky to say for sure. I wouldn't say it's a big improvement in quality though there does seem to be a little bit more control and presence to lowend which is nice.

Though it's pretty hard to ab unfortunately.

That being said, I'd pay for it just for the reliability tbh :p have had no issues with static etc on the src-dx but couldn't fix it at all with Dave's usb

Apr 8, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #1,148 of 1,492
It's a little tricky to say for sure. I wouldn't say it's a big improvement in quality though there does seem to be a little bit more control and presence to lowend which is nice.

That being said, I'd pay for it just for the reliability tbh :p have had no issues with static etc on the src-dx but couldn't fix it at all with Dave's usb
3 Sotm boxes + SRC-DX is already giving me a headache. I would consider the Phoenix USB if the sotm reclocker does somehow turn out to make a difference, at least it's only one box. I just sold the M-scaler to simplify the chain. Too bad the Bartok is not that impressive. Or transportable

Apr 8, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #1,149 of 1,492

Yeah, whatever I do , 768 is problematic. Just placed an order for an SRC-DX. Hope it will solve the problems. That said, the SOTM psu does seem to be generating a lot of hiss at times, which might just be synced up with the pops i hear. I'll test the stock wall wart more tomorrow.
I also seem to be getting feedback in the headphones whenever i touch the Streamer or the tip of the usb cable

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #1,150 of 1,492
Yeah, whatever I do , 768 is problematic. Just placed an order for an SRC-DX. Hope it will solve the problems. That said, the SOTM psu does seem to be generating a lot of hiss at times, which might just be synced up with the pops i hear. I'll test the stock wall wart more tomorrow.
I also seem to be getting feedback in the headphones whenever i touch the Streamer or the tip of the usb cable
Firstly double check that you've got the SPS500 set to the correct voltage. There's a dial on the back.

In regards to feedback when you touch the streamer that's a bit odd cause the Dave's usb input is apparently galvanically isolated so you shouldnt be able to get ground loops cause it won't be grounded so not sure what's happening there

Apr 8, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #1,151 of 1,492
Firstly double check that you've got the SPS500 set to the correct voltage. There's a dial on the back.

In regards to feedback when you touch the streamer that's a bit odd cause the Dave's usb input is apparently galvanically isolated so you shouldnt be able to get ground loops cause it won't be grounded so not sure what's happening there
Yep, i've set it to 9v, just like the streamer. Weirder still, I hear static and hissing out of the SPS500 even with it unplugged for 15 minutes now. What.

Apr 8, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #1,152 of 1,492
Yep, i've set it to 9v, just like the streamer. Weirder still, I hear static and hissing out of the SPS500 even with it unplugged for 15 minutes now. What.

that's weird. I have the three sotm boxes running and the sps is completely silent. are u able to ask for another sps unit to try?

Apr 9, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #1,153 of 1,492
I also had issues with pops and clicks and white Noise with my Qutest direct connected with my MacBook Pro - white Noise appeared every time, no matter what sample rate i used, can anyone explain that, is it the Amanero? anyway this should not happen with such expensive DACs - i also bought an SRC-DX because of that and now have no Problems anymore, so i think it should solve your Problem too. Sound has also changed by the way, more and punchier bass and more authority and depth because of that. I think the SRC-DX is a good choice, but not that cheep. Does anyone use the Opto DX in combination with the SRC-DX? I would like to know if there is still some room to get better Sound😉 enjoy your music everyone and have fun!

Apr 9, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #1,154 of 1,492
that's weird. I have the three sotm boxes running and the sps is completely silent. are u able to ask for another sps unit to try?
Do you use a Y splitter cable for them? I will do another demo once my SRC-DX arrives, in a couple of weeks probably. I see you have a nice collection of gear, do you also use an SRC-DX in any of the setups? I'm curious if reclocking makes any sense before it (or in general, for that matter, but for the sake of argument), since the data is converted to S/PDIF anyway. Also curious about the Innuos Phoenix vs the SOTM stack.

Apr 9, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #1,155 of 1,492
Do you use a Y splitter cable for them? I will do another demo once my SRC-DX arrives, in a couple of weeks probably. I see you have a nice collection of gear, do you also use an SRC-DX in any of the setups? I'm curious if reclocking makes any sense before it (or in general, for that matter, but for the sake of argument), since the data is converted to S/PDIF anyway. Also curious about the Innuos Phoenix vs the SOTM stack.

yes its a y-splitter dc cable from the SPS500. I don't use a src-dx into the Dave, but I do use a ddc and run aes/ebu.

I did try hqplayer and 768khz via USB into the Dave and I had a few issues, some crackles here and there, and occasionally random stops in music. sometimes songs would just refuse to play. this was with the latest Windows chord driver. gave up after a short while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back