An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Feb 13, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #1,051 of 1,487
Nice! Any chance to repeat this trick on Windows?
There is something called a virtual cable application. It is reported to work with Foobar and foo-record plugin. Perhaps the same with other players supporting Windows recording interface as input.

Mar 5, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #1,052 of 1,487
So then, the battle of the titans! I've spent some time with some other high end dacs. And with delta sigma, my favourite dac is the dCS vivaldi, followed not too far behind by the Bricasti M1SE.
That changed today. And I can say that I prefer the Dave + Mscaler combo to the M1SE. Though the dCS i'd need to get a chance to A/B properly with it as its been a bit too long to make a conclusion from memory. (Dave alone however I'm not sure, and I think I might pick M1SE over a dave without mscaler).

@GoldenOne Was the Bricasti M1SE that you listened to with the relatively recent MDX board hardware upgrade or the plain vanilla M1SE? From what I understand the MDX board significantly improves the M1SE. A friend who got his upgraded claimed it was almost like having a brand new dac.

Also, by any chance have you tried out the Dav+MScaler, May and Bricasti on speakers, and if so was your conclusion still the same wrt the relative ranking, ie - Holo May>Dave+MScaler>Bricast M1SE>Dave?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #1,053 of 1,487
@GoldenOne Was the Bricasti M1SE that you listened to with the relatively recent MDX board hardware upgrade or the plain vanilla M1SE? From what I understand the MDX board significantly improves the M1SE. A friend who got his upgraded claimed it was almost like having a brand new dac.

Also, by any chance have you tried out the Dav+MScaler, May and Bricasti on speakers, and if so was your conclusion still the same wrt the relative ranking, ie - Holo May>Dave+MScaler>Bricast M1SE>Dave?

Thanks!
Oh, I had not heard about the Bricasti MDX upgrade but then my Bricasti M1 SE was sold quite a while ago when I got the Dave (and then the Mscaler some time after). I am interested however to see if it was the MDX version that @GoldenOne heard. All my listening is with speakers and to me the Dave by itself was a significant step in the direction of what I want to be able to hear through a DAC (to my ears the Bricasti smeared the sound and tended towards the ‘wall of sound’ effect in orchestral crescendos).

Mar 13, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #1,054 of 1,487
@teknorob23 i was reading your comments on the may/serene in the ferrum thread and didn't want to derail that thread..

If u have some free time, could u comment more on the Serene? I was at a crossroads recently when choosing a pre and it was down to Serene vs Pass xp12 (but somehow ended up with Primaluna Evo 400 pre.. go figure..).

the impression I got from asking around, and also from Goldensound via a friend, was that the Serene was neutral/clean, and xp12 warmer and more musical. I was considering the pairing with abyss and serene and I guess that's why I ultimately chose a tube pre..

can't help but wonder if I had gone down the Serene route. matching chassis was appealing, and also the xlr2 out for Utopia.

I also take it u prefer May over Musetec and Mola Mola?

Mar 14, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #1,055 of 1,487
The Holo May KTE and Serene KTE join my setup and are going up against the Dave and M-scaler 🤘🏻

Will be trying all combinations with the M-Scaler and HQplayer as well as serene's headphone amp.

I'm using both dacs in my 2 channel setup as well.

Will post thoughts after 500 hours+ burn in of both 🤘🏻

Really looking forward to this comparison as well.

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #1,056 of 1,487
The Holo May KTE and Serene KTE join my setup and are going up against the Dave and M-scaler 🤘🏻

Will be trying all combinations with the M-Scaler and HQplayer as well as serene's headphone amp.

I'm using both dacs in my 2 channel setup as well.

Will post thoughts after 500 hours+ burn in of both 🤘🏻

So, which did you prefer more, the May or the Dave+Mscaler? Sorry for putting you on the spot :grin:

Mar 14, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #1,057 of 1,487
Will post thoughts after 500 hours+ burn in of both
In my experience the Dave and Mscaler have zero burn in effect. I tried my 5yr old Dave against a new one straight out of the box and they were identical.

Mar 14, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #1,059 of 1,487
So, which did you prefer more, the May or the Dave+Mscaler? Sorry for putting you on the spot :grin:
I havent had my My dave and mscaler for many weeks as they have been borrowed but I'm hoping to get them back soon and then I will be able to compare again as i've been using the May exclusively for weeks. I love both for different reasons so give me a bit more time and i will def post my feelings on them.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #1,060 of 1,487
@teknorob23 i was reading your comments on the may/serene in the ferrum thread and didn't want to derail that thread..

If u have some free time, could u comment more on the Serene? I was at a crossroads recently when choosing a pre and it was down to Serene vs Pass xp12 (but somehow ended up with Primaluna Evo 400 pre.. go figure..).

the impression I got from asking around, and also from Goldensound via a friend, was that the Serene was neutral/clean, and xp12 warmer and more musical. I was considering the pairing with abyss and serene and I guess that's why I ultimately chose a tube pre..

can't help but wonder if I had gone down the Serene route. matching chassis was appealing, and also the xlr2 out for Utopia.

I also take it u prefer May over Musetec and Mola Mola?
I’m considering the serene now as well. Especially after Golden’s wa33 review, where he said that his favorite overall headphone amp was the serene.

Mar 24, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #1,061 of 1,487
Hey people. I'm using NUC i5 as Roon Rock server at the moment.

Should I want to use HQplayer, what's the best way to integrate it in a Roon server?

Mar 24, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #1,062 of 1,487
Hey people. I'm using NUC i5 as Roon Rock server at the moment.

Should I want to use HQplayer, what's the best way to integrate it in a Roon server?

If I'm not wrong, u can't use hqplayer with Rock. the hqplayer software has to be on the core pc. if u have Rock setup, you can't install hqplayer on the Nuc.

u may have to remove Rock and install a normal OS, then install the normal Roon software and hqplayer.

someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mar 24, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #1,063 of 1,487
If I'm not wrong, u can't use hqplayer with Rock. the hqplayer software has to be on the core pc. if u have Rock setup, you can't install hqplayer on the Nuc.

u may have to remove Rock and install a normal OS, then install the normal Roon software and hqplayer.

someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
That’s incorrect. You can have roon rock as the core, then have HQPlayer on another pc and direct roon to that or even have HQPlayer naa setup to another pc or streamer. Think best that all connected to Ethernet for no dropouts.

Mar 24, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #1,064 of 1,487
Still they can’t be on the same machine, unless install windows on the NUC and run it as Roon Core, with HQ player on the same machine. Right?

Mar 24, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #1,065 of 1,487
Still they can’t be on the same machine, unless install windows on the NUC and run it as Roon Core, with HQ player on the same machine. Right?
Yes that part is correct. Roon rock can only run roon and nothing else. But you can still use HQPlayer if on another machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back