An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Mar 24, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #1,066 of 1,488
Mar 24, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #1,067 of 1,488
thanks for chiming in, @iamoneagain !
So other thing about running on 3 machines is trouble shooting. Nice when it’s all working but I had each part of different part of house when I was running it. Drove me mad.

Mar 24, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #1,068 of 1,488
If my i5 NUC is enough for windows, Roon Core and HQ player, I might as well do that and get rid of Rock…

Mar 24, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #1,069 of 1,488
If my i5 NUC is enough for windows, Roon Core and HQ player, I might as well do that and get rid of Rock…

depends.. the i5 won't be able to handle the more demanding filters. I had a nuc i7 in a fanless akasa and with some filters I got overheating and protection shutdowns. in the stock case, the audible fan whirring annoyed me.

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #1,070 of 1,488
depends.. the i5 won't be able to handle the more demanding filters. I had a nuc i7 in a fanless akasa and with some filters I got overheating and protection shutdowns. in the stock case, the audible fan whirring annoyed me.
That also why would be good to separate HQPlayer from the streamer and use naa. All the hard work stays away from your dac. Then no fan noise or internal rf affecting your listening.

I had a intel nuc i7 for roon rock, used iMac for HQPlayer and then sent that to my Stack Audio Link II streamer.

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #1,071 of 1,488
That also why would be good to separate HQPlayer from the streamer and use naa. All the hard work stays away from your dac. Then no fan noise or internal rf affecting your listening.

I had a intel nuc i7 for roon rock, used iMac for HQPlayer and then sent that to my Stack Audio Link II streamer.
Ehm…. What’s naa? 😊

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #1,072 of 1,488
Ehm…. What’s naa? 😊
Essential it’s like roon’s bridge software except HQPlayer has its own. So HQPlayer plays on the core computer and use naa to send to an endpoint that just receives the signal, so can very light weight like as RPi computer. But can install on any computer or some streamers have it installed.

Just to to note, I gave up on the whole thing. I currently just use roon rock and a Naim Uniti Atom HE that has streamer, dac, headphone amp in one and don’t do any external upsampling. When I had the Chord Dave, I found the mscaler sounded better than any settings in HQPlayer. Something was missing in the texture when using HQPlayer. It had the liquid sound and opened up the soundstage but didn’t find it to my liking for extended listening with that setup.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #1,073 of 1,488
I've also pretty much stopped using hqplayer. only dabble with it once in a while when a new release and/or new filters come out. always end up just going back to non-upsampled.

Mar 24, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #1,074 of 1,488
Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #1,075 of 1,488
Mar 24, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #1,076 of 1,488
Mar 25, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #1,078 of 1,488
Well I only upsample till 192Khz as my DAC only goes till there so no issue for me. I have NUC running Roon ROCK and then HQPlayer on my MacBook Pro with Pi4 on LPS as NAA and Pi4 in turn connected via USB to DDC to get SPDIF out to DAC. Normally I use vanilla and no upsampling but only when I’m in mood of upsampling I fire up MacBook.

Btw any one tried PGGB for upsampling local files ?

Mar 25, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #1,079 of 1,488
Btw any one tried PGGB for upsampling local files ?
I tried PGGB offline files 2x and 4x OS created for our testing group by the author. Unlike HQP it is a real pro stuff, no cheating to suit user taste. It sounds the most close to the original 44.1k source I ever heard, no side effects. I do recommend PGGB for DACs that benefit from upsampling.

Off-line PGGB is for perfectionists. There is also a real-time PGGB add-on for Foobar 2000 and it is free. Essentially the same, with limited number of taps. If you accept ~30s delay before starting first track, it should give the best of two worlds. I haven't tried yet, as my dedicated laptop is still Core 2 Duo, good just for bit-perfect playback.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #1,080 of 1,488
I tried PGGB offline files 2x and 4x OS created for our testing group by the author. Unlike HQP it is a real pro stuff, no cheating to suit user taste. It sounds the most close to the original 44.1k source I ever heard, no side effects. I do recommend PGGB for DACs that benefit from upsampling.

Off-line PGGB is for perfectionists. There is also a real-time add-on for Foobar 2000 and it is free. If you accept ~30s delay before starting first track, it should give the best of two worlds. I haven't tried yet, as my dedicated laptop is still Core 2 Duo, good just for bit-perfect playback.
I did try 4fs for my Sonnet and Metrum DACs and with warm setting I do get more tangible weight in bass and strings. Good stuff, subtle but good
And since it is offline so it will force me to own my my music. Will help me to build my local library.

I did try 16fs as well for Mojo and the downside was 1.5~2GB file size for a song. It was like 40Mb in 16/44.1khz.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back