An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Mar 29, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #1,096 of 1,492
I know that is the marketing punchline for The src-dx, “the amanero controller is crap”. However everyone seems to love the Singxer su-6, which uses the same one. So I’m not what could be so bad about it. It’s only hqplayer that has issues. And it has so many of them
My Qutest produced static on the left channel when fed 768k signal either from roon or hqplayer. Not always, but often.

Mar 29, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #1,101 of 1,492
I know that is the marketing punchline for The src-dx, “the amanero controller is crap”. However everyone seems to love the Singxer su-6, which uses the same one. So I’m not what could be so bad about it. It’s only hqplayer that has issues. And it has so many of them
I'm not sure it's amanero which is the issue.
Plenty of other DACs using amanero USB don't encounter the same issues as chord does. Honestly no idea what the cause is

Mar 30, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #1,103 of 1,492
My Qutest produced static on the left channel when fed 768k signal either from roon or hqplayer. Not always, but often.
If I recall correctly, the problem was related (only?) to Linux based streamers.
I'm getting this out of a windows pc. Has the SRC-Dx fixed it for you?

Mar 30, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #1,106 of 1,492
You're right, i was thinking of the Audio-Gd DI20HE.
One key benefit of DI20HE is power regeneration otherwise even clock is the old Accusilicon AS318 when Gustard U18 is using AS338.

Mar 30, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #1,107 of 1,492
One key benefit of DI20HE is power regeneration otherwise even clock is the old Accusilicon AS318 when Gustard U18 is using AS338.
Clock itself can unfortunately mean quite little.

The audio-gd currently has the 3rd lowest jitter of all DDCs I've tested behind the rockna wavedream NET and the singxer su6.

I've got a U18 on the way though

Mar 30, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #1,108 of 1,492
Clock itself can unfortunately mean quite little.

The audio-gd currently has the 3rd lowest jitter of all DDCs I've tested behind the rockna wavedream NET and the singxer su6.

I've got a U18 on the way though
That’s correct…
Would be looking forward to your views on U18

Mar 30, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #1,109 of 1,492
You're right, i was thinking of the Audio-Gd DI20HE.
The only things you should worry about is a maximum sample rate 384kHz limit. If you want to go higher, DI-20 is not for you.

I don't understand a criticism of Amanero. Many high-end brand use Amanero design, sometimes in a form of OEM or unbranded chips, but during driver installation Amanero brand pops-up. The CPLD chip from Amanero is a key. If it is original licenced, then there is no problem. DI-20/HE use OEM version of the original Amanero module, it is a legit stuff.

One things you should be aware when using Windows 10. Since the Creators release there was a long transition to the UAC 2.0 compliant internal driver. It created various problems in the past for many, including Amanero. It is fixed now, once Microsoft received help from TheSycon developers, the current version brings stable drivers. However it is probably a reason why a current Amanero Windows driver use different transfer mode, a bulk, similar to hard drives, bypassing these defective Windows routines. When you uninstall drivers, the internal Windows drivers take over using UAC 2.0 mode, which is isochronous asynchronous type. It looks like an advantage, as we can use both in case of getting problems. However I tested both and didn't notice any stability problems using Audio GD DAC (DI-20HE use the same Amanero module). Hope it clears up bad mouth about Amanero.

Mar 30, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #1,110 of 1,492
@teknorob23 i was reading your comments on the may/serene in the ferrum thread and didn't want to derail that thread..

If u have some free time, could u comment more on the Serene? I was at a crossroads recently when choosing a pre and it was down to Serene vs Pass xp12 (but somehow ended up with Primaluna Evo 400 pre.. go figure..).

the impression I got from asking around, and also from Goldensound via a friend, was that the Serene was neutral/clean, and xp12 warmer and more musical. I was considering the pairing with abyss and serene and I guess that's why I ultimately chose a tube pre..

can't help but wonder if I had gone down the Serene route. matching chassis was appealing, and also the xlr2 out for Utopia.

I also take it u prefer May over Musetec and Mola Mola?

Hey @Roasty, sorry I read this when you posted a couple of week, then one of my darling kids gave me COVID, which was fun but if you are still interested: After finally settling back on the May KTE, after excursions with the Mola Mola and musetec, i've been furiously demo'ing preamps of colours and sizes some with headamp stages and some without. Long story short i concur with Goldensounds review, the serene is astonishing in performance and consequently value for money. Technically i've not heard better without getting up to the £15K, the bass definition is stunning, stereo image, placement, layering all exceptional. I would say it has a hint of warmth which gives it a much more natural sound than the surgical and comparitively compressed HPA4, but its not warmth like you get with PASS, which for my preference is a bit much.

I'm listening via my 2 channel set up quite a bit at the moment, but i have to make mention of how good the Utopia's sound with it. Prior to the serene i spent a happy 6 weeks with the OOR/Hypsos, the highlight of which, was the extra width they added to the Utopia's stage, as good as any tube amp i've tried, but the serene is on another level. You get the same wide staging, but its a fair more neutral linear affair than the ferrum which has the odd bump here and there, but the detail retrieval is improved as is tonal clarity is amazing, making tone almost three dimensional.

God, i love the Utopias, no matter how high i raise the bar with partnering kit, they just show me they have 6th and 7th then etc gear. The bass quantity and definition, driving dynamism and speed, listening the Focals with with Serene is hands down best i've heard. I've been listening to this slightly retro but beautifully produced IDM/ techno album by itallian producer Passarani...

and this analogue IDM 80s synth-fest by Biosphere

And just WOW, the May-Serene-Utopia combo, is just well WOW says it.

As for May v Mola Mola v Musetec. The Tambaqui isnt even at races and looks with hindsight a poor value proposition and i preferred that to bartok and DAVE (each for different reasons). The Musetec is now in my workshop and technically its superb in terms, but it cant match the all round peformance of the May which is better technically and has the natural yet holographic staging and natural realism that i've not heard elsewhere. I've read people say it can be a bit soft, but i dont hear this at all, i find driving, dynamic, with a real snap and thwack when the recording calls for it.

This is me done for a while at least it is on the preamp/headamp, DAC, HP'front.. that is until Focal make the announcement we're all waiting for!

So there's my rambling stream of consciousness attempt to answer to your questions :):)

Users who are viewing this thread

• dknk
Back