An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Jan 20, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #1,021 of 1,488
Thought I might get an answer here. My May KTE arrived in April 21. I have not tried HQP but is my understanding correct that I will need to swap out my USB port in my player to be able to use the 1.5mhz upsampling in HQP?
It all depends on the source device you're connecting the May to. Intel devices are fine running 1.5mHz on all the USB modules. AMD-based systems had a 768kHz limitation on the older USB 2.0 modules. You can ask your dealer for a new USB card (I think I paid ~$130 USD) and it's a pretty easy swap out that enables 1.5mHz with both Intel and AMD-based systems.

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #1,023 of 1,488
It all depends on the source device you're connecting the May to. Intel devices are fine running 1.5mHz on all the USB modules. AMD-based systems had a 768kHz limitation on the older USB 2.0 modules. You can ask your dealer for a new USB card (I think I paid ~$130 USD) and it's a pretty easy swap out that enables 1.5mHz with both Intel and AMD-based systems.
Thank you. Yes my computer has a AMD processor so it looks like I will need the updated module if I connect to the USB on the computer. If I use a UltraRendu as a go between do you know if that will pass greater than 768khz? Is there much to gain by using 1.5mhz? I plan to use Roon using HQP.

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #1,024 of 1,488
Thank you. Yes my computer has a AMD processor so it looks like I will need the updated module if I connect to the USB on the computer. If I use a UltraRendu as a go between do you know if that will pass greater than 768khz? Is there much to gain by using 1.5mhz? I plan to use Roon using HQP.
There is a decent jump in sound quality from 768 to 1.5mhz

Ultra rendu might be an issue for you. You should contact Sonore to make sure 1.5mhz will work with YOUR setup. I use OpticalRendu and had some hiccups but it works wonderfully now. I have heard but can’t confirm that ultra rendu can’t handle it. Depends on a few things. Like server and internet speed ect.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #1,025 of 1,488
There is a decent jump in sound quality from 768 to 1.5mhz

Ultra rendu might be an issue for you. You should contact Sonore to make sure 1.5mhz will work with YOUR setup. I use optical and had some hiccups but it works wonderfully now. I have heard but can’t confirm that ultra rendu can’t handle it.
Thanks, I noticed their spec sheet only shows 768khz but I’ll contact them to be sure.

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #1,027 of 1,488
It works on the Ultrarendu too. I've booted a Mac from Jussi's HQPlayer embedded boot image and I've connected the Mac to the same Wifi Extender as the Ultrarendu. It works. But to be honest, the SQ was worse than when I just connect the Ultrarendu to the Wifi extender and just upsample to DSD 256 with the ECv2 modulators.

Jan 21, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #1,029 of 1,488
I used a Dave+laptop/HQplayer ETC. for a long time. I was thinking of a simple solution SP2000T. I had no idea if that thing hangs in that arena or not? I will say the former is more than satisfactory. Unfortunately I finally had to give up loudspeakers.

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #1,030 of 1,488
Thought I might get an answer here. My May KTE arrived in April 21. I have not tried HQP but is my understanding correct that I will need to swap out my USB port in my player to be able to use the 1.5mhz upsampling in HQP?
Depends on your PC, I had the original USB implementation and when I tried to use the other firmware to play 1.5 my computer told me to go **** myself. If you contact tim he'll get you the 2.1 USB module at a discount, you might get a better one since I got mine a bit before yours. But the whole process of swapping out the modules is -very- easy.

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #1,031 of 1,488
I used the HS-3 for a few days and, perhaps I missed the OS, but went back to the Chord TT2 and MS.
I have a Dave ordered and found I prefer the Chord house sound!

I liked the HS-3 and it is a bargain for the cost just not for me or the sound I am used to and enjoy.

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #1,032 of 1,488
Tim from Holo audio sent an entire iec port replacement as well as the fuse holder inside. It was delivered 3 days ago but I never thought to check the mail box. Amazing and fast customer support as well as a generous replacement of the entire IEC port. Well, that speaks volumes to me about their customer service, and makes me feel even better about their products.

Jan 23, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #1,033 of 1,488
I believe the ENOB for the May is 20 and that should be the setting in HQP. I ran HPQ 1.536M 20bit Sinc-M out to my L2 May via USB from a 2012 Mac Mini that was also my Roon server. I did have issues with some USB cables though. The stock one that came with the Holo May worked best and I still use that over some fancier USB cables I tried.

From @GoldenOne's quickstart guide on Discord:
5, DAC Bits: What bit depth HQPlayer will Dither to. This is useful because no real DAC is accurate to 24 bit, and so being able to dither to the TRUE accuracy of your dac means dithering/noise shaping is operating at the most effective level. You can calculate your DAC ENOB (effective number of bits) here if you know the SINAD: https://www.everythingrf.com/rf-calculators/sinad-to-enob-calculator
If you don't know, set it to 19, or 20 if it is a very high-end DAC.
If setting dac to 20bit, then what about playing 24bit music files, losing dynamic sound quality? AK4499 and ES9038 32bit dac is not accurate to 24bit?

Jan 23, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #1,034 of 1,488
If setting dac to 20bit, then what about playing 24bit music files, losing dynamic sound quality? AK4499 and ES9038 32bit dac is not accurate to 24bit?
Accuracy is a different things than resolution. Accuracy is already decreased during noise shaping (a part of any DS decoder). There is also a need to distinguish between averaged and temporary accuracy. An averaged accuracy is shown in tests, when done it well it can approach bit-resolution. However our ears are also sensitive to the peak deviation. For this reason 24-bit files do not sound better than 20-bit files.

However, when bit depth is simply truncated (by example your DAC only accept 20-bit files), it create quantization error during conversion. It can be heard as a digital harshness. Adding a small amount of dither reduce these errors. Your DAC may not do it properly or at all.

Jan 24, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #1,035 of 1,488
Accuracy is a different things than resolution. Accuracy is already decreased during noise shaping (a part of any DS decoder). There is also a need to distinguish between averaged and temporary accuracy. An averaged accuracy is shown in tests, when done it well it can approach bit-resolution. However our ears are also sensitive to the peak deviation. For this reason 24-bit files do not sound better than 20-bit files.

However, when bit depth is simply truncated (by example your DAC only accept 20-bit files), it create quantization error during conversion. It can be heard as a digital harshness. Adding a small amount of dither reduce these errors. Your DAC may not do it properly or at all.
24bit files sound better than 16bit files. So for 24bit Pegasus R2R DAC, we should set 24bit or 20bit inside HQplayer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back