An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Jan 14, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #991 of 1,492
As a more casual audio hobbyist, I first want to thank all the technical posts in this thread for broadening my mind on capabilities. This education will affect future upgrade paths. This thread also helped me choose the Spring over the May. The extra $2,000 didn’t seem worth the extra gain and my custom headphone table would have to be rebuilt to fit it. And with that, I can say I’m quite pleased with the Spring 3 KTE + Pre. The details this thing kicks out are where it shines. And that’s what I’m always wanting out of a new DAC: a new experience with my favorite tunes. It doesn’t disappoint.

The one thing that does disappoint is the fact that it has plugs for multiple outputs, and an output switching function, but has intentionally had the ability to switch outputs turned off. If I had known that, I would have reconsidered buying this $3,000 DAC. I wanted to be able to switch between a tube amp and an amp that safely drives the LCD-Rs. I completely missed that little tidbit in all of my research and emails with Kitsune. If the output switcher worked, this DAC would be perfect for me.

D8CE0876-4716-4712-AF59-8D4FC0E015B2.jpeg
With that setup you can no longer use the word “Casual”

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #992 of 1,492
It does not feed two amps at the same time. If XLR is plugged in, RCA does not function.
OK. Magnahifi told me both outputs are active at the same time. I guess not then..

EDIT: I just tried with my Spring 3 KTE, and I can feed both the OOR (XLR) and the Euforia (RCA) simultaneously. I have the DAC only version, no preamp.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #993 of 1,492
I never did get past 'UNLOCK' screen on the HS-3 KTE with my basic Apple Lightning USB-A camera adapter that works fine with the Chord TT2. Keep getting "The attached accessory use too much power"

Have others here had success using the powered version of the OEM Apple Lightning to USB 3 connecter with any iOS device (iPhone 11, iPad, latest gen 7 ipod touch) as a source to connect to their Holo DAC?

I do want to see if the Holo DAC sound is for me or I'll simply just stay with the TT2 / MS.

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 12.35.39 AM.png

Jan 15, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #994 of 1,492
Yes, that is the one I have and it is compatible with my iPhone 11, 7th gen iPod touch and my ipad.
It is OK with the TT2 and, at this point, a NO-GO with the Spring 3 and will not lock.

EDIT: I have found posts from December that did say they used an i Phone and iPad so there must be something I am missing.
Hi
I have been using my IPad pro 2017 since getting Spring 3 KTE flawlessly using a powered camera connection kit which is charging the iPad at the same time.
I will need to check later today without power supply.
In general that connection kit is the easiest way to connect Spring and play from whatever source like Apple Music, Amazon Music HD like plug and play.
The iPad even works as a Roon Endpoint.
That means you can carry your iPad to your bed side and connect Spring there and play even upsampled Hires up to 768khz out of Roon to your IPad and connected Spring.
Edit: IPhone 11 Pro is also working like a charm.
Cannot get to my listening room right now but will come back later today to this thread trying my other various lightning kits

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #996 of 1,492
Thank you, @FooFighter!

I was looking for someone who had used the OEM Apple powered CCK adapter with the Spring 3 KTE. I should one to try in a couple of days.
Am not even sure if the one I have is original Apple or aftermarket 3rd party.
Have had way too many dongles in last 2 years but I am quite confident that the powered original Apple dongle should work fine.
You have the standard late autumn firmware with latest Titanis USB module, right?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #997 of 1,492
This was purchased new in July so it may (?) be the old USB module. I need to open it and see using the images on Golden Sounds YouTube review.

I will ask the seller about the firmware version. Is the firmware version noted anywhere on the display?

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #998 of 1,492
@nwavesailor
So I quickly hooked up 3 different lightning usb dongles with and without power supply to the Spring including stock Apple dongle without power supply.
All are working without errors.
If it's not working on your side I suggest to contact Holo Audio if it's related to the old USB module.
AFAIK there was a swapping offer to get the new module for some update fee...

Attachments

• AB1ED89E-E8D7-4D5B-9383-7F3FBB36D778.jpeg
    AB1ED89E-E8D7-4D5B-9383-7F3FBB36D778.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 032ADFEE-B644-450A-90F9-E2823B7F3858.jpeg
    032ADFEE-B644-450A-90F9-E2823B7F3858.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #999 of 1,492
OK. Magnahifi told me both outputs are active at the same time. I guess not then..

EDIT: I just tried with my Spring 3 KTE, and I can feed both the OOR (XLR) and the Euforia (RCA) simultaneously. I have the DAC only version, no preamp.
Thanks for giving it a try. I have the preamp Spring 3. Would be odd if that changes things. I’ll reach out to Tim at Kitsune. So far I’ve just been bitching in this thread :deadhorse:

Jan 15, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #1,000 of 1,492
With that setup you can no longer use the word “Casual”
I have a May KTE on order. I want to connect XLR and RCA outputs to two different amps, but play them individually. Denafrips says you shouldn’t have both outputs connected, even if one is not active, because you’re overloading the same output circuit and affecting SQ.

Does the May have individual circuits for each analog output?

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #1,001 of 1,492
I have a May KTE on order. I want to connect XLR and RCA outputs to two different amps, but play them individually. Denafrips says you shouldn’t have both outputs connected, even if one is not active, because you’re overloading the same output circuit and affecting SQ.

Does the May have individual circuits for each analog output?
That's what I've been told about the Spring. So I would suspect it's the same for the May, but I'm sure a May owner can confirm.

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #1,002 of 1,492
So, I tried to change out the fuse for a synergistic fuse and the fuse holder snapped. The part holding the fuse. I just tried to remove the red nano fuse and the plastic part just snapped right off. I contacted Tim at Kitsune about a replacement fuse holder... so we'll see. I did not use a lot of force and was deliberately gentle when I tried to take the original fuse out from the holder. Pretty bummed out. Guess I'll see what Tim can do.

Jan 15, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #1,003 of 1,492
So, I tried to change out the fuse for a synergistic fuse and the fuse holder snapped. The part holding the fuse. I just tried to remove the red nano fuse and the plastic part just snapped right off. I contacted Tim at Kitsune about a replacement fuse holder... so we'll see. I did not use a lot of force and was deliberately gentle when I tried to take the original fuse out from the holder. Pretty bummed out. Guess I'll see what Tim can do.
Really sorry.
Without the fuse the whole device is dead now I suppose.
That's the worst nightmare for any Headfier
Keeping fingers crossed.
After updating the whole outer chain dealing with the internals is one of the rabbit holes only a small percentage is willing to deal with whereas exchanging fuses is supposed to be easy and not likely to break things

Jan 15, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #1,004 of 1,492
Poor holder quality, really poor. Never seen things like that... Solder a wire over a fuse holder soldering points and move a fuse to the male mains plug side. A plug with a fuse looks like this (taken from the old IBM equipment).

The best audiophile fuse is no fuse, or a fuse outside the enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_20211221_110332.jpg
    IMG_20211221_110332.jpg
    829.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #1,005 of 1,492
Really sorry.
Without the fuse the whole device is dead now I suppose.
That's the worst nightmare for any Headfier
Keeping fingers crossed.
After updating the whole outer chain dealing with the internals is one of the rabbit holes only a small percentage is willing to deal with whereas exchanging fuses is supposed to be easy and not likely to break things
It's depressing and it sucks. Can't do anything until Tim gets back to me with options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back