Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Mar 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #1,081 of 6,061
Quote:
Just asking for the sake of knowledge/completeness. 

I'm sure there are at least a few out there than can manage a watt or two into 50 ohms. 

Well, the amps that I mentioned would qualify in that regard, but I'm not sure exactly how they'd react.  I know the Atma-sphere amps for instance actually increase in power as you go from an 8 to 16Ω load.  I know Ralph at Atma-sphere is really knowledgeable and has been responsive to questions like this in the past, so I'd suggest emailing him.  It might give everyone here a better idea of the interactions between an OTL amp and a load like this.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #1,082 of 6,061
the possible problem with output xfmr or plate inductor is that they can ring up to high V when some condition causes their current to try to change instantaneously like the load being unplugged while playing, or possibly input transient pumping LC resonance

without any inductance there is no way for substantial over V to be generated - so cathode followers, resistor or active ccs plate loaded OTL Amps won't have this problem

it unlikely that headphones draw enough current to cause a problem even with output Xfmr if suddenly disconnected

but safer would be add a "Zobel" - series RC with R ~= rated load, the C blocks audio signal so the power rating can be small

the MOV or Gas tube sugestions in the links could work too as external add-ons like the Zobel - that should be directly connected to the amp output with any headphone adapter/connector physically "after"

I would really expect better tube amps that could have this problem already have the protection added components inside - but one of the joys of Audiophiledom is paying up for poorer quality

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #1,084 of 6,061
Although I have not heard the HE-6 headphone, I feel compelled to share a find with you guys that may be relevant to your search for an appropriate amplifier. Having heard what a speaker amp could do for my Paradox headphones, having tried them out with my Musical Fidelity A1 class A amp, I started investigating other possibilities that might work at least as well since that amp is used for our stereo system. Just to mention, I have been into this audio hobby since the mid 1970s and although somewhat new to the headphone end of things, I have heard and owned some pretty nice set ups, from Magneplanars to Quad electrostatics, various Spendors, Proacs, tube amps (push-pull and single-ended), etc., etc. I discovered consistently great reviews about a previously unknown little amp called the TBI Millenia MG3. I am including links that tweaked my interest. It also won an award on Positive Feedback last year. This is all in  light of the fact that we have discovered that speaker amps can do very well in driving especially certain headphones......and I believe that doesn't have just to do with added power, but also to the actual fidelity of the amp (no wonder some are using $3,000 Don Garber tube amps and Nelson Pass First Watt amps). This MG3 was itself compared to pretty esoteric amps, and it cost $500. I cannot afford the  more expensive amps, so this tweaked my interest. 

Although it was designed for driving a pair of suitable speakers, Jan (the designer) worked with me to get it to work with my Paradox, first by helping me put together some resistors to remedy the fact that the amp does not have shared negative grounds, which my single ended Paradox require. And he also helped me to lower the noise floor (background hiss). Then he went to the trouble of coming up with what I call his little magic black box, which is basically some resistors to not only eliminate the hiss and allow for the shared grounding issue, but to also allow the amp to see an appropriate resistance for the headphones. End result - some of the best reproduced hi fi I have ever heard, and this mostly goes for home audio as I have very limited experience with the high end headphones you guys mostly talk about. That Jan even attempted to help me out was pretty outstanding; he could have just said the amp was designed for speakers, and left it at that.  So, I have to say kudos to Jan, and also to Luis for his Paradox mod....headphones which also continue to astonish. 

And by the way, the amp works off 8 AA batteries as well as ac (10 watts/channel vs 30 watts on ac). And Jan offers a 30 day trial period.

Here are just some relevant links, there are more:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue62/millenia.htm

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108242.0

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue64/awards.htm

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #1,085 of 6,061
Quote:
Although I have not heard the HE-6 headphone, I feel compelled to share a find with you guys that may be relevant to your search for an appropriate amplifier. Having heard what a speaker amp could do for my Paradox headphones, having tried them out with my Musical Fidelity A1 class A amp, I started investigating other possibilities that might work at least as well since that amp is used for our stereo system. Just to mention, I have been into this audio hobby since the mid 1970s and although somewhat new to the headphone end of things, I have heard and owned some pretty nice set ups, from Magneplanars to Quad electrostatics, various Spendors, Proacs, tube amps (push-pull and single-ended), etc., etc. I discovered consistently great reviews about a previously unknown little amp called the TBI Millenia MG3. I am including links that tweaked my interest. It also won an award on Positive Feedback last year. This is all in  light of the fact that we have discovered that speaker amps can do very well in driving especially certain headphones......and I believe that doesn't have just to do with added power, but also to the actual fidelity of the amp (no wonder some are using $3,000 Don Garber tube amps and Nelson Pass First Watt amps). This MG3 was itself compared to pretty esoteric amps, and it cost $500. I cannot afford the  more expensive amps, so this tweaked my interest. 

Although it was designed for driving a pair of suitable speakers, Jan (the designer) worked with me to get it to work with my Paradox, first by helping me put together some resistors to remedy the fact that the amp does not have shared negative grounds, which my single ended Paradox require. And he also helped me to lower the noise floor (background hiss). Then he went to the trouble of coming up with what I call his little magic black box, which is basically some resistors to not only eliminate the hiss and allow for the shared grounding issue, but to also allow the amp to see an appropriate resistance for the headphones. End result - some of the best reproduced hi fi I have ever heard, and this mostly goes for home audio as I have very limited experience with the high end headphones you guys mostly talk about. That Jan even attempted to help me out was pretty outstanding; he could have just said the amp was designed for speakers, and left it at that.  So, I have to say kudos to Jan, and also to Luis for his Paradox mod....headphones which also continue to astonish. 

And by the way, the amp works off 8 AA batteries as well as ac (10 watts/channel vs 30 watts on ac). And Jan offers a 30 day trial period.

Here are just some relevant links, there are more:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue62/millenia.htm

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108242.0

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue64/awards.htm

interesting. Thanks!

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #1,087 of 6,061
I am using this TBI Millenia amp with a 12v battery, 25K reference speakers, and $5K Dac/Pre. With reference equipment, this amp is a stunner. It is one of the most holographic and transparent amp that I have owned in the last 40 years. I cannot say enough of this amp.

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #1,088 of 6,061
That 3D presentation I've heard from one amp with the 6s, a Simaudio I600. I would love to know what information is needed to find that holographic presentation.

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #1,089 of 6,061
Quote:
That 3D presentation I've heard from one amp with the 6s, a Simaudio I600. I would love to know what information is needed to find that holographic presentation.

Me too, while I've still got my wallet locked up in the basement... encased in concrete. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #1,093 of 6,061
How are things going, by the way figaro69?
I'm in heaven...the darkstar rules with the HE6, hd800, T1, and LCD2.
No complaints. It was expensive, but worth every penny...and boy, does it look pretty! These days I just use the decware csp2 to get that magical tube sound, and the darkstar to rock with big orchestral Mahler and Bruckner. There is no space in my life for an SR009 anymore....I cancelled my pre order for the Blue HAWAII/SR009 combo....I'm no longer in the mood to spend 12K to upgrade something that needs no upgrading...folks, I've reached the pinnacle...and it feels gooooooooooood. So, there, all darkstar naysayers and detractors out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back