Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jan 3, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #856 of 6,061
Quote:

The BP 2B-LP is from 1983 and should run in the $500 range used (if you can find one).  It was somewhere between $8-900 new IIRC.

The price is exactly why it caught my eye. I assume that still carries the Brystion quality and the lower price is due to relatively low wattage (60 wpc). For HE-6 it should just fine, I think.  

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #857 of 6,061
I have a Bryston 4BSST power amp. I love the sound and the quality is second to none. Don't know about this model and how it would drive the HE-6, but I'll be keeping my Bryston amp for many years.

Would any amp with 40-50watt in 8ohm drive the HE-6 without problem?

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #858 of 6,061
I have a Bryston 4BSST power amp. I love the sound and the quality is second to none. Don't know about this model and how it would drive the HE-6, but I'll be keeping my Bryston amp for many years.

Would any amp with 40-50watt in 8ohm drive the HE-6 without problem?

Yes, it most definitely should.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #859 of 6,061
What about the 2A3/300B speaker tube amps,  do they typically drive the HE6's OK from 16 ohm taps or do you need a dedicated 50 ohm headphone tap on the transformer?  How does the WA5-LE perform ?

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #860 of 6,061
Quote:
What about the 2A3/300B speaker tube amps,  do they typically drive the HE6's OK from 16 ohm taps or do you need a dedicated 50 ohm headphone tap on the transformer?  How does the WA5-LE perform ?

Think they should be good... I am not sure if the WA5-LE will have enough current.... I read that they go loud enough but they somewhat lack dynamics due to slight lack of power

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #861 of 6,061
Yeas as has been discussed previously, the WA5 is much better suited for the HE6 than the LE version.

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #862 of 6,061
So I got the F3 on Friday and I love it! It is wonderful with my HE6! I will post more impressions when I get proper hook up to the speaker taps. While I ordered an adapter, the one I got came with mini female 4pin xlr.
blink.gif
 Totally my fault. I had no ideal that they 4 pin xlrs came in different sizes and chose the wrong termination. Still, the amps sounds awesome through some my audio quest speaker-wire hooked up to the hifiman adapter. If things improve as much as I think they may when I hook them up properly, I may be done with amplification for a very long time.

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #865 of 6,061
Quote:
So I got the F3 on Friday and I love it! It is wonderful with my HE6! I will post more impressions when I get proper hook up to the speaker taps. While I ordered an adapter, the one I got came with mini female 4pin xlr.
blink.gif
 Totally my fault. I had no ideal that they 4 pin xlrs came in different sizes and chose the wrong termination. Still, the amps sounds awesome through some my audio quest speaker-wire hooked up to the hifiman adapter. If things improve as much as I think they may when I hook them up properly, I may be done with amplification for a very long time.

The F3 sounds wonderful or at least the clone F3 I heard a while back. The real thing should sound better (or at least I hope it does). I'm fairly happy with my modest HE6 setup although things can get better with the amp but size of the amp will only get larger and I wouldn't want that.

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #866 of 6,061
So I got the F3 on Friday and I love it! It is wonderful with my HE6! I will post more impressions when I get proper hook up to the speaker taps. While I ordered an adapter, the one I got came with mini female 4pin xlr. :blink:  Totally my fault. I had no ideal that they 4 pin xlrs came in different sizes and chose the wrong termination. Still, the amps sounds awesome through some my audio quest speaker-wire hooked up to the hifiman adapter. If things improve as much as I think they may when I hook them up properly, I may be done with amplification for a very long time.
Ummhmm. These headphones will leave you in awe every time you put them on with all the dynamics being dealt.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #867 of 6,061
Wondering if anybody has tried the following amp for driving the HE-6's?  I really love their 20 year warranty and supporting local manufacturer isn't a bad thing either.  It's 60 Watts per channel with fully separated power supplies etc so I don't need to bridge the speaker taps with a resistor and would also do well driving a nice pair of monitors for the day I get around to separating out dedicated audio from the home theatre.

Bryston 2B LP PRO Dual-Channel (Stereo) Amplifier

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #868 of 6,061
This is a good explanation of why the HE-6 is so hard to drive:

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #870 of 6,061
It would be nice to see a big company with a hugh RD department come out with a Planar Megnitc headphone.  It seems like they're sticking with Dynamic drivers.  Oh well.  Fang didn't say much on the future of HiFiman headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back