Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Dec 28, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #841 of 6,061
I friend of mine once drove his he-6 with a phonitor. At that time, he ranked it below his T1, and lcd 2. Also, he thought the phonitor drove it really well, and thought it was a pretty good pairing. So thinking he had an idea about how the he-6 sounded, he was about ready to give up. He even mentioned to me he thought about selling them.

Now after pairing them with the dark star, he prefers them over his hd-800, and lcd-3. And now it would be one of the last headphones he would sell. 

That is good to hear, since it indicates that my best experience with the he6 is still to come. F3 is coming on Friday next week! Hope my speaker hook ups come then as we'll! :xf_eek:

Btw, how did the Black Star improve on the Phonitor?

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #842 of 6,061
Quote:
That is good to hear, since it indicates that my best experience with the he6 is still to come. F3 is coming on Friday next week! Hope my speaker hook ups come then as we'll!
redface.gif

popcorn.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #843 of 6,061
Quote:
That is good to hear, since it indicates that my best experience with the he6 is still to come. F3 is coming on Friday next week! Hope my speaker hook ups come then as we'll!
redface.gif

Btw, how did the Black Star improve on the Phonitor?

I've listened to his dark star via the he6 numerous times, but didn't get a chance to hear them myself on the phonitor. But from what he told me, the he6 came off as being bright and not providing much bass with the phonitor. He did say they had a nice wide sound stage, and good imaging with the phonitor. But they just sounded thin, and bright.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #844 of 6,061
To clarify further: I don't hear or say that the HE-6 is lacking bass or lower mids, but having a somewhat bright sound (very balanced, but on the bright side of neutral) because of too much treble.

Regarding the measurments from InnerFidelity and HeadRoom - they are measured at quite low levels, thus making the power issue a non-issue ...

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #845 of 6,061
That's great that we compare how they sound with different amps, but sources matter too. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #846 of 6,061
Of course they matter a great deal. But this thread is titled "Amps that can drive the Hifiman Hifiman HE-6 planar magnetic headphones". So that's why pretty much amps are discussed in this thread, and this is the amp forum as well. There are however, discussions about sources pertaining to the he-6 over in the source forum.

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #847 of 6,061
A nice hybrid speaker amp would be an option to keep a tube in the circuit. I was looking at the Jolida integrated hybrids and got to thinking about finding a hybrid amp (no inte.). Anybody have experience with a decent wattage hybrid?

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #848 of 6,061
Quote:
A nice hybrid speaker amp would be an option to keep a tube in the circuit. I was looking at the Jolida integrated hybrids and got to thinking about finding a hybrid amp (no inte.). Anybody have experience with a decent wattage hybrid?

I've heard most of Peachtree's offerings but only in speaker setups.  They're all pretty smooth and more than capable of driving the HE-6.  I should also note that it can be somewhat of a pain to get their amps open to roll tubes.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #850 of 6,061
"Current feedback amplifier circuit, Discrete-component amplifier", sounds like it would be worth a try off the speaker taps.  The headphone socket reportedly isn't that great.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #851 of 6,061
At one time I was entertaining the idea of getting a hybrid Counterpoint speaker amp for my HE-6. Then I read that if one of the original transistor fail, you can't replace them. They're out of production.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #852 of 6,061
Quote:
"Current feedback amplifier circuit, Discrete-component amplifier", sounds like it would be worth a try off the speaker taps.  The headphone socket reportedly isn't that great.

Check out the First Watt F4.  It has no voltage gain at all.  You'll need a preamp in order to get the voltage.

http://www.firstwatt.com/f4.html

The way to go with these is mono blocks (balanced) = 100wpc into 8 ohms..  25wpc into 8 ohms if using one amp and in (single ended mode.)

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #853 of 6,061
Quote:

Check out the First Watt F4.  It has no voltage gain at all.  You'll need a preamp in order to get the voltage.

http://www.firstwatt.com/f4.html

The way to go with these is mono blocks (balanced) = 100wpc into 8 ohms..  25wpc into 8 ohms if using one amp and in (single ended mode.)

What do you think about the Bryston sound sig combined with the HE-6. There is one that puts out 60WPC -- the BP 2B LP. Anyone have experiance with that one? Or Bryston in general?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back