Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Dec 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #812 of 6,061
today i got new DI-V3 paired with ref 1 and master 6,  gave me better impression.

when i used logitech touch, i dont like to use master 6 paired with he6, Thin , plain, not enough punching. 

After replaced DI-V3, i am enjoying he6 with master 6 , volume at 35/70. Now body shape is just enough. Not too much and not too less. This is i think "neutral"

below is the impression of DI-V3. 

Quote:
I received my DI-V3s yesterday. In the package were the spare firmware, an LED which I supposed is for changing to a less brighter one than the one installed on the DI-V3s, along some resistors to modify the DI-V1 PSU to power-up the DI-V3s. 

Initial impressions are the DI-V3s sounded much clearer and detailed than the DI-VI, and it's noticeable I no longer have problems with the occasional 'ticks" usually heard from the DI-VI which indicated drop-outs. So far, there's no issue of any drop-outs or glitches with audio even when the PC is under heavy load from doing other things. Sonically, it's sounded just a little warm and transients slightly blurred but it is still very early yet as it has not been burn-in fully. I might upgrade to a Tentlabs XO later since I had great results from one used in the earlier DI-V1. Right now, it is just using stock.

Will update later when it's fully burned in.

just got mine usb-power yesterday, i second your impression. and easy to blow away logitech touch.
no annoying drop out issue . Downside is not dark enough.

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #813 of 6,061
Hi, wonder if someone may be able help. I have recently acquired a marantz pm6004 amplifier which has 2 speaker outputs. Obviously I have a standard set of stereo speakers hooked up but wondered if they would also be suitable for driving the he-6 headphones through the additional output. Thanks in advance.

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #814 of 6,061
Quote:
Hi, wonder if someone may be able help. I have recently acquired a marantz pm6004 amplifier which has 2 speaker outputs. Obviously I have a standard set of stereo speakers hooked up but wondered if they would also be suitable for driving the he-6 headphones through the additional output. Thanks in advance.

I think that would be a terrific way of hooking up the HE-6 (I expect it is a solid state amp). For some time I was actually looking for an amp with two sets of speaker outputs for that very purpose: speakers on one and the HE-6 on the other set of speaker outputs. Good luck!

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #815 of 6,061
I've had my HE-6 for a few weeks now and have used them with a few setups.  

First up was the Decware Taboo which just couldn't handle the HE-6.  It got up to a decent volume level but the bass just bloated, and I thought that the HE-6 might be broken.

Then I used my Modwright SWL9.0se as a preamp powering my Dynaco ST-70 (highly modified) feeding the HE-6 via the Hifiman speaker adapter box.  This sounded wonderful and had great impact and drive.  It was very engaging.

Last week I got my new Cavalli Liquid Glass, and have used that both feeding the HE-6 directly and feeding the ST-70 like I did with the Modwright.  I'm not sure which out of the Modwright or LG I prefer as a preamp, but the HE-6 sounds great straight out of the LG.  It doesn't quite have as much drive when I really crank it, but at reasonable levels it's probably the best sounding option I've got.

It does meet the "≥ 6 watts into 50Ω" threshold. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #816 of 6,061
Nice set-up you have there, Jazzerdave! Good to know you found a suitable set-up in the Modwright and Dynaco.

As some (including myself) have found out on here, the HE-6's power requirements are highly underrated. I had a DIY tube headamp built that had something like 9W into 50 Ohms, which didn't need a lot of turn on the volume knob to gets things loud. Yet, music didn't have body and weight.

My Pioneer SX-1280 continues to hold forte as THE amp to drive the HE-6 with an iron grip
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #817 of 6,061
Quote:

It does meet the "≥ 6 watts into 50Ω" threshold. 

I really don't think it's a ">6 watts into 50Ω" threshold as most people will think.  Sure in some cases the more watts the better.  However, IMO it's the current that matters and even more so the quality of the amps that's being used.  Take the First Watt amps.  Most of them are low powered amps.  Look at the link below:  These are said to be some of the best amps to use with the HE-6. Along with Threshold, Pass Labs and a few others.

http://firstwatt.com/prod.html

From this list some of the most recognized are the J2, F3, The all current driven F1 / F1J and the Alpeh J.  Notice the low amount of watts each has, and that's into 8Ω's which in turn would put you <6 watts into 50Ω in most cases..  Yet they are said to be some of the best.  

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #818 of 6,061
Quote:

I really don't think it's a ">6 watts into 50Ω" threshold as most people will think.  Sure in some cases the more watts the better.  However, IMO it's the current that matters and even more so the quality of the amps that's being used.  Take the First Watt amps.  Most of them are low powered amps.  Look at the link below:  These are said to be some of the best amps to use with the HE-6. Along with Threshold, Pass Labs and a few others.

http://firstwatt.com/prod.html

From this list some of the most recognized are the J2, F3, The all current driven F1 / F1J and the Alpeh J.  Notice the low amount of watts each has, and that's into 8Ω's which in turn would put you <6 watts into 50Ω in most cases..  Yet they are said to be some of the best.  

Oh, I'm well aware that wattage isn't the all-important stat here.  Having just read through the entire thread before posting, I just saw that number creep up plenty of times.  While I personally think that current reserves and damping factor can be more important for these cans, I thought I'd post the power number for those who do care.  

The LG can definitely drive the HE-6 to ear-splitting levels, but it's the first amp I've heard that makes me feel I don't need to listen that loud.  The other thing I can try is a higher gain tube to see how that affects the HE-6.  I'll try that out this week and see how it affects the sound.  I also need to try rolling some different tubes through the ST-70 as it can still be bright with the HE-6.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #821 of 6,061
Quote:

I should also note that I eventually plan to try them out on an Adcom GFA-5802, the 300wpc beast designed by Nelson Pass.  

WOW make sure you used that adapter or some resistors...  I would try the use of resistors over that adapter.  Or, maybe I should ask first.  How does that adapter sound with the HE-6s - do you notice any downgrade in SQ?

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #822 of 6,061
Quote:

WOW make sure you used that adapter or some resistors...  I would try the use of resistors over that adapter.  Or, maybe I should ask first.  How does that adapter sound with the HE-6s - do you notice any downgrade in SQ?

I haven't tried the HE-6 off a speaker amp without the adapter, so I can't exactly comment on how it sounds without it (for all I know, the adapter is what's keeping the HE-6 bright my ST-70).  I'll try switching in my stock ST-70 (considerably warmer/more euphonic) to see if that makes a difference.  If not, then the adapter may be the issue.  I can always open it up and swap in some better parts, but it'll be a while before I have the time.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #824 of 6,061
Quote:

Why?  My understanding is that the adapter is only really needed for tube amps...to compensate for the HE-6's impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back