Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Dec 9, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #797 of 6,061
Happy Camper,

Yeah, i found it and likely to stick by it for a long while..just enjoying my music and looking at expanding my record collection instead 
smily_headphones1.gif

Preproman,

The amp is rated circa 185W @ 8 ohms, which i presume to come from the speaker taps. As to the headphone jack, best check with Skylab - he be the Yoda of all things vintage here 
wink.gif
 I just tried it via the speaker taps with the HE adaptor in place - lovely, more noticeable body, dynamics and slam. These cans with this amp is great for metal! Not sure if it suits audiophile recordings but these ears have been ravaged by metal since i can remember so I'm more than happy with the combo and the genre of music i primarily listen to.

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #798 of 6,061
Great for metal? Hell yeah!\m/

I am MeTaL fans too

BUT I think playback well metal music not only needs dynamics and slam

It needs high resolution , smooth and stability also

so that you could really taste metal and feel the soul of it

IMO, playback metal is harder than classical

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #799 of 6,061
Hahahaha...my ears are not so refined and I'm used to all sorts of underground metal music with crappy recording so if it has slam and speed and makes me feel darkness in my soul, that's good enough for me 
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #800 of 6,061
Just checked again Burson Soloist versus Audio-gd Master-6 amp with the HE-6.

In terms of bass impact, power, tightness and punch, I still don't think there is any difference between the two. If there is, it is very subtle.

However, there is a difference in terms of the mids: The Master-6 has both a slightly warmer AND better resolved midrange. This could be the difference between the balanced connection with a warm sounding XLR cable versus the single ended connection to the Soloist, having a somewhat lean sounding RCA cable. This difference between my two cables are known to me before, and at this point I attribute the sonic difference to the connections of the amps.

In my book - the Burson Soloist has NO trouble driving the HE-6 to at least relatively loud levels. It won't drive it to crazy loud levels though. At the end of the day: Will I keep it? Yes - but no. Yes, because I really like it. No, because I want the Burson Conductor, which is a Soloist amp plus a DAC in one box.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #801 of 6,061
Speaker out sound stronger, smoother and altogether fuller-bodied. Headphone out was grainier and less clarity in terms of instrument separation. Can anyone suggest a modern amp able to drive the 6 to similar levels? Looking for a back up in case the vintage fails....

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #802 of 6,061
Quote:
Speaker out sound stronger, smoother and altogether fuller-bodied. Headphone out was grainier and less clarity in terms of instrument separation. Can anyone suggest a modern amp able to drive the 6 to similar levels? Looking for a back up in case the vintage fails....

+1 on the modern amp. And perhaps within the same price range or at least within +$1000.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #804 of 6,061
Hello, 

There are sum up that resume amp that match well with HE6 ?

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #805 of 6,061
Hello, 

There are sum up that resume amp that match well with HE6 ?

Well, this thread is the closest you get, I think.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #806 of 6,061
i know that but I don't have read the whole topic. There are cheap magic amp that drive the HE6 like hell ?

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #807 of 6,061
$20 can net you a receiver from a flea market or pawn shop. Tap the wires directly to the speaker outputs.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #808 of 6,061
A lot are using vintage 2 ch. receivers/integrated/amps in the 50-100 up to 200w range such as Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz, Rotel, NAD, Onkyo, etc.

Some are using the Emotiva & Virtue amps for value, some more hi end amps like BAT, AR, Simaudio, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back