Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Dec 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #784 of 6,061
I have Boot Camp. But, since I have three computers side-by-side...

I like the latest version of Amarra and Audirvana Plus. If this merely approaches these two players but doesn't surpass them, I'd rather stay on the Mac. We shall see.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #786 of 6,061
Who doesn't like 
tongue_smile.gif
 new stuff?!

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #787 of 6,061
Just wanted to share that I am pleasantly surprised that the brightness and sibilance issues with he-6s have all but gone away after upgrading to a pair of gabriel gold revelation 2 interconnects (gold alloy). Everything just sounds "right" now - very natural and organic. In fact, I am astounded that the First Watt F3 amp now sounds warm and tube-like whereas before it was overly bright and a bit harsh. Finding a warm sounding interconnect may be a simple tweak for those having brightness issues like I did with the HE-6s. Happy listening.

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #788 of 6,061
I've mentioned it before, but the Nuforce Icon amps do a fine job of powering the HE-6 from the speaker outputs. Fantastic performance for something the size of a book. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #790 of 6,061
Just took delivery of my Pioneer SX-1280 amp today (which according to the previous owner, has been serviced, recapped and de-oxited) and with the HE-6 plugged into the headphone jack, I have to admit, I'm done with my search for the right amp to power these PITA cans 
smily_headphones1.gif

It has PRAT, dynamics, bass and no hints of brightness so infamous with these cans, period. Anyone who is still searching for the amp need to try these vintage monster amps, they DO work. Not sure about the other TOTL Pioneer SX-1250 but the 1280 do their job well. Oh, and I haven't driven the cans off the speaker taps yet..

Thanks, Skylab for the recommendation 
basshead.gif

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #791 of 6,061
Just took delivery of my Pioneer SX-1280 amp today (which according to the previous owner, has been serviced, recapped and de-oxited) and with the HE-6 plugged into the headphone jack, I have to admit, I'm done with my search for the right amp to power these PITA cans :)

It has PRAT, dynamics, bass and no hints of brightness so infamous with these cans, period. Anyone who is still searching for the amp need to try these vintage monster amps, they DO work. Not sure about the other TOTL Pioneer SX-1250 but the 1280 do their job well. Oh, and I haven't driven the cans off the speaker taps yet..

Thanks, Skylab for the recommendation :basshead:
Good to see you found your solution.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #792 of 6,061
Quote:
Just took delivery of my Pioneer SX-1280 amp today (which according to the previous owner, has been serviced, recapped and de-oxited) and with the HE-6 plugged into the headphone jack, I have to admit, I'm done with my search for the right amp to power these PITA cans 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, Skylab for the recommendation 
basshead.gif

Does the headphone out and the speaker outs have the same wattage output?

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #793 of 6,061
I dont think so

This kind of “grandpa” receiver could provides enough power to drive HE6 from speaker output which needs a banana convert cable or a HE-Adapter to handle other plate headphone like HE500 or LCD2 etc.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #794 of 6,061
I have been tried HE6 on some of these receiver ,I thought that sounds a bit rough...so I give up this solution

It is just like which kind of Cuisine you like, French or Big hamburger ?

If you ask which one I like....

KungPao chicken of course :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back