Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Nov 23, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #737 of 6,061
You know I have interest about Hypa A170. But it does not matter, I think everybody who have interest about any quality speaker amp have to ask manufacture about this specific info which is not in specs.

But I do not look for speaker amp only for HE6 but also for speakers.

Nov 23, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #738 of 6,061
O yeah, that's right...  However, I sure am looking for 1 amp for the HE-6s
wink_face.gif

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #739 of 6,061
yeah, its nice to hit two birds with one stone -- one good amp play your speakers and HE-6!

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #741 of 6,061
has anyone tried the Decware Zen Torii (25 wpc) on these cans? I know Skylab said that the Mini Torii (4 wpc) was good with them, but I wonder if the bigger Torii would be better. Or the more affordable CSP SE35I.3 (6 wpc)?

I checked the Decware threads but non one there has. Even if you personally have not heard it, how do y'll feel abut the synergy on paper? Would it require the HE-6 adapter, or could you run it directly off the speaker posts for either of them? I am not very knowledge about this stuff so input would be much appreciated. 

Also I have seen Manartz 2240B on Ebay. I think I remember someone here saying that the HE-6 works well with it. Anyone have any direct experience putting these 2 together? Impressions would be appreciated. And, is there anything one should be on a lookout for when buying vintage stuff like the 2240B -- common problems, etc.?

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #742 of 6,061
Quote:
And, is there anything one should be on a lookout for when buying vintage stuff like the 2240B -- common problems, etc.?

Thanks!

Burned out bulbs are common, and you can get blue LED replacements on eBay.  Noisy controls, like crackling when adjusting the volume is common, fixed by taking it apart and spraying deoxit on the noisy parts and working the knobs back and forth.  The caps get old and often need to be replaced, and the bias may need to be adjusted.  A local shop offered to clean and re-bias mine for $150, more if it needed caps.  He didn't know what caps are most likely to go bad, so I decided not to let him play with my noisy 2240 amp.

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #743 of 6,061
thank you. appreciate the tips.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #744 of 6,061
Quote:

Burned out bulbs are common, and you can get blue LED replacements on eBay.  Noisy controls, like crackling when adjusting the volume is common, fixed by taking it apart and spraying deoxit on the noisy parts and working the knobs back and forth.  The caps get old and often need to be replaced, and the bias may need to be adjusted.  A local shop offered to clean and re-bias mine for $150, more if it needed caps.  He didn't know what caps are most likely to go bad, so I decided not to let him play with my noisy 2240 amp.

You should be using Deoxit Fader Lube on noisy controls, not regular Deoxit.

Why wouldn't you let them go over the amp?  You'd rather take your chances with a time bomb? 

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #745 of 6,061
Quote:
has anyone tried the Decware Zen Torii (25 wpc) on these cans? I know Skylab said that the Mini Torii (4 wpc) was good with them, but I wonder if the bigger Torii would be better. Or the more affordable CSP SE35I.3 (6 wpc)?

I checked the Decware threads but non one there has. Even if you personally have not heard it, how do y'll feel abut the synergy on paper? Would it require the HE-6 adapter, or could you run it directly off the speaker posts for either of them? I am not very knowledge about this stuff so input would be much appreciated. 

Also I have seen Manartz 2240B on Ebay. I think I remember someone here saying that the HE-6 works well with it. Anyone have any direct experience putting these 2 together? Impressions would be appreciated. And, is there anything one should be on a lookout for when buying vintage stuff like the 2240B -- common problems, etc.?

Thanks!

Douger333 on the Decware appreciation thread replied to my question on the Torii MK3 and planars so I figured I'd share it, if anyone else is interested. He has HE500 (which I think are more efficient), so it may not apply to HE-6 100%. Still here it is:

"Cante Ista,
I spoke with Steve today about using my HE500 phones with my Torii 3. I have a cable from Drew at Moon Audio to come from the speaker taps to a female TRS which I am usually using with my Bottlehead 300B Paramounts. Sounds very good, some hum but they have trim pots
that take care of it. Of course I tried it with the Torii, but the hum was terrible. However, the music was absolutely heavenly!
Steve says that the Torii 3 has to much power and a disaster could happen too easily, he will not install a hp jack. He said that I could experiment with resistors on the speaker taps, start with 4 or 8 ohm, move up to 30 if those don't work. However, along with attenuating hum they will reduce dynamics.
I may try this if I can buy 8 ohm resistors at Rat Shack, and I will post results. However, my Tannoy Canterburys yield a better musical experience than any phones when my daughter isn't sleeping
bigsmile_face.gif
"

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #746 of 6,061
Quote:
You should be using Deoxit Fader Lube on noisy controls, not regular Deoxit.

Why wouldn't you let them go over the amp?  You'd rather take your chances with a time bomb? 

It's a nice sounding amp that I picked up from Skylab, that simply has a noisy volume and balance control when I adjust them.  

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #747 of 6,061
Tube amps needs the HE-adapter or some other kind of resistors to keep the impedance down close to 8 Ohms on the speaker taps.
In a short way you could say that tube amps "likes" low impedances better and that solid state amps "likes" higher impedances better. In other words a solid state amp doesn't need the HE-adapter or other resistors, but a tube amp should have it in order to keep it "healthy" over time - when driving the HE-6 or other headphones with similar impedance.
Quote:

Thanks!

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #748 of 6,061
Quote:
Tube amps needs the HE-adapter or some other kind of resistors to keep the impedance down close to 8 Ohms on the speaker taps.
In a short way you could say that tube amps "likes" low impedances better and that solid state amps "likes" higher impedances better. In other words a solid state amp doesn't need the HE-adapter or other resistors, but a tube amp should have it in order to keep it "healthy" over time - when driving the HE-6 or other headphones with similar impedance.

that is very helpful. thanks.

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #749 of 6,061
I ordered Audio-gd Master 7 DAC last week, haven't got it yet...but I am looking for my next Amp for CAST system already

Is there anyone try HE6 and LCD3 on Master8/Master10 ? which combo is sounds better under CAST connection? (not only high resolution but also musical)

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #750 of 6,061
Quote:
I ordered Audio-gd Master 7 DAC last week, haven't got it yet...but I am looking for my next Amp for CAST system already

Is there anyone try HE6 and LCD3 on Master8/Master10 ? which combo is sounds better under CAST connection? (not only high resolution but also musical)

Very much looking forward to your impressions of the Master 7. There hasn't been any reviews of the Master 7 since its release so hopefully you'll post a review in the Master 7 thread 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back