Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Nov 15, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #706 of 6,061
When did calling the Mjolnir the "Mojo" become common-place?
This odd nickname has stood out to me while reading the last couple pages (shouldn't it at least be "Mjol").

I've been playing with the idea of moving back to a dual bookshelf speaker (passive) setup in my office, and reading this thread has given me grand ideas of using the opportunity as an excuse to try powering a HE-6 through the speaker amp. Now I haven't decided on anything yet since I am just planning things out for the future, but I did not plan on spending much on an overkill speaker amp. What should I be looking for if I want to power the he-6 adequately as well as my two bookshelf speakers (25-125w listed amp requirement)?

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #707 of 6,061
OVERKILL  --  is always best 
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #708 of 6,061
Quote:
This odd nickname has stood out to me while reading the last couple pages (shouldn't it at least be "Mjol").

I've been playing with the idea of moving back to a dual bookshelf speaker (passive) setup in my office, and reading this thread has given me grand ideas of using the opportunity as an excuse to try powering a HE-6 through the speaker amp. Now I haven't decided on anything yet since I am just planning things out for the future, but I did not plan on spending much on an overkill speaker amp. What should I be looking for if I want to power the he-6 adequately as well as my two bookshelf speakers (25-125w listed amp requirement)?

One of these might work.
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/x-series

I was using the emo mini up until ..yesterday,& then...???

Mike

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #709 of 6,061
Quote:

I've noticed that phenomenon.....previously everyone was calling it "MJ"...which makes sense considering that's the model designation in the product code ("MJ115S" for the 115v US version in the silver color....as though there's an alternative....)
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
One of these might work.

Mike

Yeah but those lack that elite audiophile-ness that says "overkill for HE-6".  Something that weighs at least 65lbs, has more heatsink fins than actual amp area, measures more than 25" wide, and has no less than 4 power tubes is more appropriate for the overkill approach
rolleyes.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #710 of 6,061
Quote:

I've noticed that phenomenon.....previously everyone was calling it "MJ"...which makes sense considering that's the model designation in the product code ("MJ115S" for the 115v US version in the silver color....as though there's an alternative....)
rolleyes.gif

Yeah but those lack that elite audiophile-ness that says "overkill for HE-6".  Something that weighs at least 65lbs, has more heatsink fins than actual amp area, measures more than 25" wide, and has no less than 4 power tubes is more appropriate for the overkill approach
rolleyes.gif

Yeah,but none of us have the money you do?

"Audiophile-ness"..got to remember that-LOL.

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #711 of 6,061
Quote:
One of these might work.

Mike

Thanks for the link, Mike.
I had actually already eyed that link before. 

The "Holiday Sale" that Emotiva is having is sorely tempting, but I didn't want to jump the gun on anything without thinking my purchase through. I find myself starting at the mini-X a-100, but within a few moments I find myself trying to reason myself into that next product up. It is a vicious cycle that ends with me coming to my senses while I look at the pros & cons of 500W Mono Blocks ( a little exaggeration, but you get the idea).

Any suggestions on a reasonable solution?
I figure one of the 2x Channel offerings might be right up my alley for my two bookshelf speakers (no plans on moving past that in my speaker system).

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #712 of 6,061
Niten,

One of the main reasons ,I chose the emo mini was size.
I have an extremely limited desktop setup,where I do all my audio,,computer,and photography,,,printing,
Building a setup ,just to power one set of headphones,can be a little frustrating.
As you can see,some members have some pretty exotic amps,just for the he-6's.
Not sure ,you want to go that route.

Now,that I've gotten the Mjolnir/Gungnir,I,m second guessing myself ,as to whether or not I wan to keep the emo mini.......I.ve taken to the balanced sound,like a duck to water.....I,m absolutely amazed with what I hear on my he-6's
If your office setup is going to be a permanent one,,& space is not an issue-great.
Just keep an eye out for a high quality amp,,and jump on it when it goes on sale ,or,,,...even buy used,,,,almost all of my gear has been purchased used ,from other head-fires

Hope my ramblings helps

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #713 of 6,061
Quote:
Niten,
One of the main reasons ,I chose the emo mini was size.
I have an extremely limited desktop setup,where I do all my audio,,computer,and photography,,,printing,
Building a setup ,just to power one set of headphones,can be a little frustrating.
As you can see,some members have some pretty exotic amps,just for the he-6's.
Not sure ,you want to go that route.
Now,that I've gotten the Mjolnir/Gungnir,I,m second guessing myself ,as to whether or not I wan to keep the emo mini.......I.ve taken to the balanced sound,like a duck to water.....I,m absolutely amazed with what I hear on my he-6's
If your office setup is going to be a permanent one,,& space is not an issue-great.
Just keep an eye out for a high quality amp,,and jump on it when it goes on sale ,or,,,...even buy used,,,,almost all of my gear has been purchased used ,from other head-fires
Hope my ramblings helps

Actually I was amazed how similar in footprint the MJ/Gungnir is to the rest of the full size stereo gear I have for HE-6.  It actually makes for a nice stack with my rackmounts.  The rest of the stereo gear is deeper and taller though.

But yeah, for building an HE-6 rig, one must factor in where it will go.  Some of us have no qualms about building a full size stereo rack for our listening.  But if you're trying to make for "desktop audio" that's just not going to fly....   Sadly, of the more powerful headphone amps out there, most of them are either roughly rackmount size like MJ or tall tank-like tube amps.  There's nothing more compact than MJ that will do justice to HE-6.  And I still have to do my evaluation of MJ with HE-6!

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #714 of 6,061
IEM,

On my setup,and from the limited time,I had to compare the emo/gung,to the full balanced set up,I would say,SQ is very neutral,with a deeper base
I am not complaining,..,just trying to figure out,which sound I prefer...right now ,I'm leaning to the MJ/Gung.
After a week or so,of more listening,I will try to compare the 2 set-up,a few members have pm'd me saying the exact same thing as you.
so...??,it might just be a question of taste.
I really need to go to a show,since I've joined head-fi,I've yet to attend one....not good !!

IEM---what speaker amps do you have  & used with the He-6's...just curious..

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #715 of 6,061
Quote:

Thanks for the link, Mike.
I had actually already eyed that link before. 

The "Holiday Sale" that Emotiva is having is sorely tempting, but I didn't want to jump the gun on anything without thinking my purchase through. I find myself starting at the mini-X a-100, but within a few moments I find myself trying to reason myself into that next product up. It is a vicious cycle that ends with me coming to my senses while I look at the pros & cons of 500W Mono Blocks ( a little exaggeration, but you get the idea).

Any suggestions on a reasonable solution?
I figure one of the 2x Channel offerings might be right up my alley for my two bookshelf speakers (no plans on moving pas

disregard

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #716 of 6,061
Following up on my earlier post on using a 300B tube amp with 16 ohm taps to drive the HE-6 or HE-5LE..... 

the below link shows a builder using the Diytube.com get-set-go DIY single-ended 300B amp (pc board based build)  to drive Audeze planar magnetics (mentions Hifiman in the article, as well).   The builder follows my logic of impedence ratios, presented in a slightly different manner, using the 300B with an appropriately low-ish primary impedence output transformer and the 16 ohm tap for a 50 ohm load.

My amp is push-pull, probably overkill on power for this application (and cost).

blog entry doesn't show completed amp or assessment of the sound, really want to see the next posting.  

http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2012/09/diytube-get-set-go-300b-headphone-amp.html

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #719 of 6,061
Quote:
Just went through this entire thread without seeing mention of the Burson Soloist. Do HE-6 owners have any input on whether or not the Burson Soloist does the HE-6 justice? 

Doesn't do it complete justice, but pretty decent for a headphone amplifier. Probably one of the best I've heard the HE-6 from a headphone amp overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back