Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Oct 21, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #616 of 6,061
Anyone know if a vintage Kenwood KA-5500 integrated amp will match with the HE-6? The headphone jack output is pretty powerful in itself but was thinking since this is a 55W amp, running the HE-6 direct from the speaker taps will be powerful enough but unsure of the synergy.

Or does one need a Krell? :)

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #617 of 6,061
I believe it has two sets of resistors, one in parallel to protect the headphones and equalize the impedance and one in series to protect OTL tube amps.

I may have this backwards or otherwise mixed up, if somebody could please confirm :xf_eek:

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #619 of 6,061
I believe it has two sets of resistors, one in parallel to protect the headphones and equalize the impedance and one in series to protect OTL tube amps.
I may have this backwards or otherwise mixed up, if somebody could please confirm :xf_eek:

I remember reading a few times about you commenting on the need of resistors to protect otl amps. I'm I'm a little confused. I know some time ago there was a hot topic about the need to protect against transformer couple tube amps, and the need to protect the transformers. So have I missed something in regards to otl amps? In what ways do otl amps need to be protected?

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #620 of 6,061
Quote:
I remember reading a few times about you commenting on the need of resistors to protect otl amps. I'm I'm a little confused. I know some time ago there was a hot topic about the need to protect against transformer couple tube amps, and the need to protect the transformers. So have I missed something in regards to otl amps? In what ways do otl amps need to be protected?

You dont really need resistors to protect OTL amps, the tubes are just fine driving the high impedance load of the HE-6s, and will typically perform much better than.

The reason why you need the resistors is that in transformer coupled amps, they design the taps on the transformers for certain loads, and if you present a higher load, it overloads the transformer, so you put the resistors in to bring that down so that you dont hurt the transformer, but in the process you waste most ofthe power just as heat in the resistor

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #621 of 6,061
Yeah, I knew that about tc tube amps, I have a pair of resistors for mine. I was wondering why you would need them for otl amps since I've seen him mention it a few times. Thanks though.

Oct 27, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #623 of 6,061
Quote:
hey guys,

This might be a really stupid question, but can a guitar amp power the HE-6? Do guitar amps power headphones at all?

I'd bet money they can drive the HE-6, the question is why would you want to?  

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #626 of 6,061
As it was said in the other thread lol, it's impossible with a guitar amp. It's mono. Also, the inputs are more than unconventional unfortunately.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 27, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #627 of 6,061
Well, I suppose some of the more modern ones with ipod docks or RCA input... but I'm not sure if their headphone jacks still downmix to mono.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #628 of 6,061
Daniel, put your guitar amp model number on here and we can see what it's capability is. Guitar amps are almost always one speaker so that should answer your question.

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #630 of 6,061
Quote:
Mine is pretty old, so it's probably one speaker. I don't have it right now, but I'll post the number when I can.

thanks

In that case, I'd save my money and buy a less expensive headphone - perhaps the HE-500 - and get a good amp to drive it (assuming you already have a good source already). It's a chain of components that makes the sound and thus determines sound quality. Headphones are the most determining in terms of sound character and quality, but they still need reasonably good amps and sources to play what and how they can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back