Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Dec 24, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #5,581 of 6,061
Alright so finally got the BasX going with the jumpers applied and the most prominent difference I noticed immediately is the sound stage. Rather than in your face/head with the A90, the vocalist and instruments are spaced a nice social distance away. Everything felt warmer and it didn't feel too much detail was lost and I could keep the headphones on a lot longer without getting fatigue.

That being said I definitely prefer the A90 over the BasX. The combination of a wider soundstage and warmer sounds makes the music easier to listen to but when I put on headphones I am looking to enjoy the music. Yes, the A90 can be a little too bright for comfort sometimes but unlike the BasX it's not boring to listen to. Between the A90's 4.8W~ and BasX's 8.5W @50 Ohms they drive the hungry He6sev2 perfectly fine with room to spare and really only comes down to preference of sound/music. My original goal was simply to determine if possibly the A90 was short of something to unleash the He6SeV2s to their full potential but really I was hoping for something beyond the physics of headphones.

Side Note: I'm not saying the A90 or the BasX are the representatives of their respective categories to best showcase the He6se's potential but sharing my experience between these two. I do believe however that although different/pricier amps would/may provide a better experience, there probably isn't one that would be a game changer.

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #5,582 of 6,061
Ok guys, I got the HE6SEV2 in and I can provided some comparisons. Bear in mind that SEV2 has the Palipads and the my OG HE-6 is 6-screw with velpads.

The most obvious differences are in the bass and imaging, and smoothness of treble. Bass characteristics are different. It seem OG HE-6 has more of a dynamic bass with a larger area impact, and the HE6SEV2 is tighter, but less dynamic and less impact. The imaging seems to be the most significant. It seems the HE6SEV2 imaging doesn't have as much depth as the OG HE-6, and less speaker like? I always wondered if this is what is meant by 'speaker-like?' People referring to the depth of the imaging of Hifiman planars? It seems like HE6SEV2 has smoother and cleaner, less textured treble, which I kinda like. But, I also notice transparency is reduced as well, OG HE-6 sounds to have more transparency for some reason. The sound decay is different as well. HE6SEV2 with it's cleaner nature that decay is shortened.

When you listen to jazz, the different is obvious. With pop, I do prefer the HE6SEV2 with it's cleaner, smoother nature of the highs, but not for the bass compared to OG HE-6.

So, I find OG HE-6 more transparent, dynamic, and better imaging with more depth. OG driver was good, and I don't understand why the SE version keeps the current trend of less dynamic sound compared to the classics?

One thing that's immediately noticible is that from HE6SE (V1), there is no upper-mids dip on the SEV2. I imagine they tweaked the Palipads like they did with Sundara revision.

There you have it guys.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #5,583 of 6,061
Ok guys, I got the HE6SEV2 in and I can provided some comparisons. Bear in mind that SEV2 has the Palipads and the my OG HE-6 is 6-screw with velpads.

The most obvious differences are in the bass and imaging, and smoothness of treble. Bass characteristics are different. It seem OG HE-6 has more of a dynamic bass with a larger area impact, and the HE6SEV2 is tighter, but less dynamic and less impact. The imaging seems to be the most significant. It seems the HE6SEV2 imaging doesn't have as much depth as the OG HE-6, and less speaker like? I always wondered if this is what is meant by 'speaker-like?' People referring to the depth of the imaging of Hifiman planars? It seems like HE6SEV2 has smoother and cleaner, less textured treble, which I kinda like. But, I also notice transparency is reduced as well, OG HE-6 sounds to have more transparency for some reason. The sound decay is different as well. HE6SEV2 with it's cleaner nature that decay is shortened.

When you listen to jazz, the different is obvious. With pop, I do prefer the HE6SEV2 with it's cleaner, smoother nature of the highs, but not for the bass compared to OG HE-6.

So, I find OG HE-6 more transparent, dynamic, and better imaging with more depth. OG driver was good, and I don't understand why the SE version keeps the current trend of less dynamic sound compared to the classics?

One thing that's immediately noticible is that from HE6SE (V1), there is no upper-mids dip on the SEV2. I imagine they tweaked the Palipads like they did with Sundara revision.

There you have it guys.

Generally agree. The decay of the 6se is shorter than the 6 and the 500 - but both of those ring well more so some of that decay is not music.

To me the 6se v1 worst trait is the soundstage width and depth - easily topped by the 6 or the 500 - or the HEX v2 for that matter. Next worse is the 1750 Hz centered dip which requires EQ. Palipads with the 6se suck.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #5,584 of 6,061
Generally agree. The decay of the 6se is shorter than the 6 and the 500 - but both of those ring well more so some of that decay is not music.

To me the 6se v1 worst trait is the soundstage width and depth - easily topped by the 6 or the 500 - or the HEX v2 for that matter. Next worse is the 1750 Hz centered dip which requires EQ. Palipads with the 6se suck.
The OG HE-6 has weight to the bass, that's something I should have said. If anybody know what that means. For those that has heard Hifimans offerings after the classic era should know this 'weight' in the bass has disappeared. Probably the most recent worst offender of the weight-less bass sound is the Deva or 5XX. The measurements cannot express it, but such characteristics are known by hearing only. You can have two flat looking bass responses by measurements, and can have one that impacts with better weight than the other.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #5,585 of 6,061
HFM did re-release the HE-6se about 18-24 months ago that takes care of the 6. The only difference between the 6 and 500 is the traces: gold vs aluminum.
Saw this on Reddit. Susvara uses gold traces. https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/l2w90t/hifiman_susvara_drivers_people_seem_to_like/
Question is, is it as dynamic as the classics? Looking at Susvara's driver design, it's more like the new design than having any similarities to the classics. 5XX has very little bass impact and the driver looks similar to this.
yytysj9o0yc61.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #5,586 of 6,061
Saw this on Reddit. Susvara uses gold traces. https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/l2w90t/hifiman_susvara_drivers_people_seem_to_like/
Question is, is it as dynamic as the classics? Looking at Susvara's driver design, it's more like the new design than having any similarities to the classics. 5XX has very little bass impact and the driver looks similar to this.
yytysj9o0yc61.jpg

The surface area of the mylar in the Susvara is well bigger than the 5XX, plus I'd wager the magnets are much stronger.

Actually you hit my only sore spot with the Susvara. It loves all that Krall, Chesky type stuff, but when you throw on Zep 1 or Axis Bold as Love - not so great. First thought was the nose in the air "well it just reveals the weakness of the recording...". But it's been nagging me - the Susvara didn't capture the dynamics in those recordings - or did my ears go into shutdown a bit because of the nasty sounds. Not taking a shot at the Susvara, just saying I need another long session to be sure.

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #5,587 of 6,061
The surface area of the mylar in the Susvara is well bigger than the 5XX, plus I'd wager the magnets are much stronger.

Actually you hit my only sore spot with the Susvara. It loves all that Krall, Chesky type stuff, but when you throw on Zep 1 or Axis Bold as Love - not so great. First thought was the nose in the air "well it just reveals the weakness of the recording...". But it's been nagging me - the Susvara didn't capture the dynamics in those recordings - or did my ears go into shutdown a bit because of the nasty sounds. Not taking a shot at the Susvara, just saying I need another long session to be sure.
So, the dynamics isn't it's strong point or on the level of the classics? Not so impactful bass like rest of the modern Hifiman line-ups like the HE1000s?

What the gold does is to make it inefficient. Is it inefficient and has similar dynamics as the HE1000s? That's a double no. At least with the HE-6 being inefficient, you can get very good bass impact dynamics if driven strong enough.

My mistake for keep posting on HE-6 amp thread. Last couple of posts were for the general HE-6 thread.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #5,588 of 6,061
I used to have a Lyr1 and currently have a Lyr3-multibit. Not impressed with either of them for the HE-6. It gets loud, but sonically doesn't do it for me. I think I preferred the Asgard to it honestly in terms of sonic matching. Currently my Lyr powers a modded T50rp.
I had a similar experience with the Lyr and He-6 It had a lifeless sound. Not dynamic at all. I also used an Audio GD Phoenix and they sounded good, but i still wasnt really impressed. Enough power, sounded good, It wasnt until I paired them with an Adcom GFA 2 channel amp that I had laying around and was blown away; granted I am using the Hifiman adapter to speaker outs. Keep in mind the Amp is way overkill , but I have never heard them sound better. I haven't had the guts to go straight into speaker outs without the adapter even though many have said that they sound better without the adapter. I just can't imagine them sounding better than what I am listening to.

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #5,589 of 6,061

So, the dynamics isn't it's strong point or on the level of the classics? Not so impactful bass like rest of the modern Hifiman line-ups like the HE1000s?

What the gold does is to make it inefficient. Is it inefficient and has similar dynamics as the HE1000s? That's a double no. At least with the HE-6 being inefficient, you can get very good bass impact dynamics if driven strong enough.

My mistake for keep posting on HE-6 amp thread. Last couple of posts were for the general HE-6 thread.

My surmise is that with the extra surface area comes an additional (and heavier) set of magnets which would make the whole thing too heavy - so they went with a lower ratio than the HE-6, and of course the available current has more area to drive. If that's true if you have 1/2 size membrane of an HE-6 with the same inputs and magnet strength would you get even more impact? Of course the Susvara has a far thinner membrane than the HE-6, does that mean it doesn't create as focused and potent a sound on the initial impact?

Now, the detail on the Susvara is the best on any HFM, the ringing seems to be nearly a dead issue, the subtle notes and overtones of the bass are the best. But they won't impact the same, the sub bass is also real good but still lacking impact. OTOH issues with dynamic range - like say the E2 is accused of - its subtle and may be another issue, or like I said, the 2D distorted recordings that bothered me may have forced me to cut volume and attention. The Susvara certainly has more - way more dynamic than something like a Tympani 3 (speaker from the 70's), or a HEX v2, and yes an E2 (still a badly under appreciated can - near SOTA with some EQ over 2k).

Now the HE-500 - plays those 2D recordings much better and more pleasantly - so inherent Harmonic D? Less detail (for sure), does the Susvara have odd order harmonics in excess? There is a whole parade of ultra high end equipment that can play bad recordings and make them sound as bad as they are, or it worse than they are? It's not ideal for equipment to lie to make it nicer, certainly worse to make them sound worse.

Trying to avoid opinions, just raising ideas. And the Susvara is the full on attempt by HFM to match/beat the HE-6 6 screw - making the 6 and/or the Susvara a reasonable discussion in any thread about either.

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #5,590 of 6,061
I had a similar experience with the Lyr and He-6 It had a lifeless sound. Not dynamic at all. I also used an Audio GD Phoenix and they sounded good, but i still wasnt really impressed. Enough power, sounded good, It wasnt until I paired them with an Adcom GFA 2 channel amp that I had laying around and was blown away; granted I am using the Hifiman adapter to speaker outs. Keep in mind the Amp is way overkill , but I have never heard them sound better. I haven't had the guts to go straight into speaker outs without the adapter even though many have said that they sound better without the adapter. I just can't imagine them sounding better than what I am listening to.
I think the sound is more dynamic/lively without the adapter. It grabs you and shows you what a headphone can do by removing a veil of the extra load the adapter adds.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #5,591 of 6,061
I think the sound is more dynamic/lively without the adapter. It grabs you and shows you what a headphone can do by removing a veil of the extra load the adapter adds.
Are you using a XLR to banana plug setup? The amp power I am using is way over kill, I guess I have always been concerned of roasting them with too much power. I was thinking of finding a first watt if i could find one for a decent price. What kind of amp are you using to go straight into speaker output? How much power - WPC?

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #5,592 of 6,061
Are you using a XLR to banana plug setup? The amp power I am using is way over kill, I guess I have always been concerned of roasting them with too much power. I was thinking of finding a first watt if i could find one for a decent price. What kind of amp are you using to go straight into speaker output? How much power - WPC?

Speaking of overkill...............I'm driving my HE-6SE (and did so with my HE-6 from a few years ago) from the speaker taps of a 250 wpc vintage Pioneer Spec system (Spec 1 preamp/Spec 2 amp) using a XLR to banana plug setup with no issues for over 6 years now. Probably good to have a preamp like I do to allow for volume dial range...............

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #5,593 of 6,061
Speaking of overkill...............I'm driving my HE-6SE (and did so with my HE-6 from a few years ago) from the speaker taps of a 250 wpc vintage Pioneer Spec system (Spec 1 preamp/Spec 2 amp) using a XLR to banana plug setup with no issues for over 6 years now. Probably good to have a preamp like I do to allow for volume dial range...............
That makes me feel better about running straight into speaker taps. I am running mine into an Adcom GFA 5500 I believe That is rated at 200wpc 8ohms. can I ask what banana to xlr cable your using? Or did you make your own?

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #5,595 of 6,061
That makes me feel better about running straight into speaker taps. I am running mine into an Adcom GFA 5500 I believe That is rated at 200wpc 8ohms. can I ask what banana to xlr cable your using? Or did you make your own?

Bought it from Ted Allen @headphone Lounge. Great guy, great pricing and great quality. Have purchase three of these adapters as well as had him make me cables/recable headphones over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back