Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Apr 18, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #5,266 of 6,061
Congrats! You have of course made sure that the "ground" wires are separated? If not: Unplug immediately and make sure that each ground goes to to each channel.
(I saw you mentioned "TRS cable" which means the ground from L & R is common.)
No they're going to a common ground at the moment...I'll cease all operations - what's the danger here?
20180418_223509.jpg

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #5,267 of 6,061
Does anyone know how the Vahalla 2 pairs with the HE6? And if I used the ifi Black Label as the dac?

Thanks

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #5,268 of 6,061
Valhalla 2 is about as far away as optimal for driving HE-6 IMO. OTLs generally never have enough power and current for the hungry cans. Your master 9 ahould fair much better with the HE-6.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #5,269 of 6,061
No they're going to a common ground at the moment...I'll cease all operations - what's the danger here?

I would really like to reiterate for anyone who makes a banana to TRS adapter to please just omit one of the ground plugs. Going from three wire to three wire eliminates the chance of accidentally shorting out a non-common-ground amp.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #5,270 of 6,061
I would really like to reiterate for anyone who makes a banana to TRS adapter to please just omit one of the ground plugs. Going from three wire to three wire eliminates the chance of accidentally shorting out a non-common-ground amp.
Hi there, are you suggesting that I should use one of my ground plugs only, i.e. use only three banana plugs?

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #5,271 of 6,061
That is correct. Your jack only has three conductors (tip, ring, sleeve), the banana end should only have three. Having two ground bananas is unnecessary and will make things go boom if you ever accidentally connect to an amp that does not have common ground negatives. .

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #5,272 of 6,061
That is correct. Your jack only has three conductors (tip, ring, sleeve), the banana end should only have three. Having two ground bananas is unnecessary and will make things go boom if you ever accidentally connect to an amp that does not have common ground negatives. .
...well I used it for about an hour last night (before I got wised-up) without "BOOM" so perhaps my amp does have common ground negatives. All the same, I'll use one only going forwards.

Slightly off topic, but by HD650's were just incredible on it. The HE-5's are sizzle-y as anything in the treble, which is pretty hard going on bad recordings - but good to know they both sound good hooked-up to the back of a speaker amp.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #5,273 of 6,061

May i ask which speaker taps would it be connected to? +, - & + only? sorry am a noob on these matters.

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #5,274 of 6,061
I did not believe the people here saying that speaker amps are so much better than headphone amps. I have a Master 11 and also its more powerful brother the Master 9. I just bought the monstrous Master-2H monoblocks for my speaker system and was curious how they would sound with the HE6. The difference in soundstage and bass is night and day. It's like a curtain was removed from the side of my head - I can hear so much more behind me. Bass is extremely prominent and authoritative. Detail across the board is increased to a point that I have no doubt the HE6 are at or near their full potential.

what about the precision 3 ? 15w into 40ohm.

I`m tempted to fire on this to hook up my incoming he6.

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #5,275 of 6,061
May i ask which speaker taps would it be connected to? +, - & + only? sorry am a noob on these matters.

Tip = L+
Ring = R+
Sleeve = one of the negatives

Apr 21, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #5,278 of 6,061
Can the Hugo by itself run the HE6? I'm not asking if it powers it to hear its potential but just to an ok level.

And I guess I should ask this in the Hugo or ifi Black Label thread but as a transportable, how would I connect to run the Hugo as the dac and the BL as the amp?

Thanks.

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #5,279 of 6,061
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 9.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 6.0W RMS per channel (7.5W at <1% THD typical, one channel driven)

Come on dude. I would rather hear impressions from someone who has tried the combination.
Formulas don't mean squat with these headphones. It's about the power supply, not the RMS power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back