Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Apr 8, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #5,251 of 6,061
That doesn't really answer the question...

Sorry, this was typed in bed on phone. You are correct the WA7 will not drive the HE-6 to its potential. Your Marantz integrated may be fine for the time being. I used a 20 wpc integrated Xindak Class-A, which was fantastic, particularly for the price. Eventually, though, I craved more power and realized things could be better. And I still can do better. In other words, for now, you'll be alright. I mentioned the AHB2 because it possesses the transparency and power worthy of the HE-6, although not cheap and dependent (as usual) on a good pre-amp. I myself do not yet own one. A First Watt amp, already mentioned, is similarly worth looking into.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #5,252 of 6,061
Thanks so much for the prompt reply, Ken!

I had no clue about this tube either, save that it serves as the rectifier in my amp. Very fascinating regarding its use in televisions in the 60s and 70s.

I forgot to mention that one reason I suspected as much was that I was warned after receiving them that some Tele EY500A have been faked. But your comments regarding the boxes and possibility for being preserved is reassuring.

Thanks!

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #5,253 of 6,061
Sorry, this was typed in bed on phone. You are correct the WA7 will not drive the HE-6 to its potential. Your Marantz integrated may be fine for the time being. I used a 20 wpc integrated Xindak Class-A, which was fantastic, particularly for the price. Eventually, though, I craved more power and realized things could be better. And I still can do better. In other words, for now, you'll be alright. I mentioned the AHB2 because it possesses the transparency and power worthy of the HE-6, although not cheap and dependent (as usual) on a good pre-amp. I myself do not yet own one. A First Watt amp, already mentioned, is similarly worth looking into.

Best of luck!

Yep, will spend some quality time with the HE-6 and Marantz for a while, then look at a decent integrated amp if my planar itch still needs scratching.

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #5,254 of 6,061
Thanks all! Will try it out and see.

Slightly off-topic. I'm probably going to leave mine as stock if possible. My suspicion is that headphone will be one of the more collectable pairs long-term.
Changing pads should be fine then. I very highly recommend changing the stock pads as mentioned in the previous post.

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #5,256 of 6,061
Bump. Also interested to hear how Lyr 3 would work.

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #5,257 of 6,061
There's not been a piece of Schit to drive the HE6 to their full potential. If you want to hear what they are capable of, go to a high end audio store and strap them on to an amp that is made for planar/stats and have mono/dual mono amps. Naim, Sim Audio, etc. with plenty of power supply.

Wasn't that impressed with the couple of Marantz receivers I heard them on. No depth, too flat sounding.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #5,258 of 6,061
There's not been a piece of Schit to drive the HE6 to their full potential. If you want to hear what they are capable of, go to a high end audio store and strap them on to an amp that is made for planar/stats and have mono/dual mono amps. Naim, Sim Audio, etc. with plenty of power supply.

Wasn't that impressed with the couple of Marantz receivers I heard them on. No depth, too flat sounding.
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 9.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 6.0W RMS per channel (7.5W at <1% THD typical, one channel driven)

Come on dude. I would rather hear impressions from someone who has tried the combination.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #5,259 of 6,061
"Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 9.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 6.0W RMS per channel (7.5W at <1% THD typical, one channel driven)"

and at the impedance of the HE-6 ?

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #5,260 of 6,061
"Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 9.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 6.0W RMS per channel (7.5W at <1% THD typical, one channel driven)"

and at the impedance of the HE-6 ?
It's 4.0W RMS per channel according to Schiit.

They also have this on their product page:
"Power and Finesse in One
Want to run IEMs? Sure. Need power for your HE-6? Sure. If this means nothing to you, just be confident that you can plug any headphone into Lyr 3 and get great sound. With full power delivered from the standard ¼” jack, you don’t need balanced headphones to take full advantage of Lyr 3."

If you think their audio engineers are wrong about the power requirements, feel free to let them know. For anyone who has tried the combination, I'm still curious about your impressions.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #5,261 of 6,061
G'day guys, hijacking the thread *slightly* as this seems to have the right people to help point me in the right direction. I have a new-to-me set of HE-5's that I'm looking to drive with authority beyond my Magni 3.

Sure, they're easier to drive that the HE-6's, but I was considering using my NAD D 3020 integrated amp to use as an all-in-one desktop amp/dac with the HE-5's. The 3020 is a class-D amp capable of 30WPC at 8 ohms. I was planning to rig an adapter via a female TRS cable; splitting the ground into L/R banana plugs, and then the L/R terminals into banana plugs.

Obviously I would proceed with extreme caution with both source and amp levels, but would be great for any quick pointers or caution before proceeding.

Cheers!

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #5,262 of 6,061
G'day guys, hijacking the thread *slightly* as this seems to have the right people to help point me in the right direction. I have a new-to-me set of HE-5's that I'm looking to drive with authority beyond my Magni 3.

Sure, they're easier to drive that the HE-6's, but I was considering using my NAD D 3020 integrated amp to use as an all-in-one desktop amp/dac with the HE-5's. The 3020 is a class-D amp capable of 30WPC at 8 ohms. I was planning to rig an adapter via a female TRS cable; splitting the ground into L/R banana plugs, and then the L/R terminals into banana plugs.

Obviously I would proceed with extreme caution with both source and amp levels, but would be great for any quick pointers or caution before proceeding.

Cheers!
Just start with the volume at zero and move up slowly. Turn the volume back down before shutting the system off. If you do these two things you'll be fine

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #5,263 of 6,061
I'd think you'll be alright with the HE-5. I did so with the HE-500 just fine. They sounded better than anything I'd heard once I first hooked them up to a speaker amp.

Apr 18, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #5,264 of 6,061
Just start with the volume at zero and move up slowly. Turn the volume back down before shutting the system off. If you do these two things you'll be fine
Success! Jury-rigged it up when I got home from work and it sounds INCREDIBLE...

Apr 18, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #5,265 of 6,061
Success! Jury-rigged it up when I got home from work and it sounds INCREDIBLE...
Congrats! You have of course made sure that the "ground" wires are separated? If not: Unplug immediately and make sure that each ground goes to to each channel.
(I saw you mentioned "TRS cable" which means the ground from L & R is common.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back