Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Mar 3, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #4,353 of 6,061
  Have not tried the First Watt amps but am currently using my Nelson Pass Design Amp Camp Amp (DIY w/ upgraded power supply and about 6W)  w/o the HE adaptor and it's very very nice.  Super wide stage and excellent detail and presence and not harsh at all.  after listening last PM  I had the feeling I had been to a live concert.   First used it a couple weeks ago w/ the HE adaptor and thought it sounded just OK.  W/o the adaptor it's like a different amp.

Doesn't the Amp Camp Amp use switching power supplies?  What did you do to upgrade it?

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #4,354 of 6,061
  Have not tried the First Watt amps but am currently using my Nelson Pass Design Amp Camp Amp (DIY w/ upgraded power supply and about 6W)  w/o the HE adaptor and it's very very nice.  Super wide stage and excellent detail and presence and not harsh at all.  after listening last PM  I had the feeling I had been to a live concert.   First used it a couple weeks ago w/ the HE adaptor and thought it sounded just OK.  W/o the adaptor it's like a different amp.

Forget the adaptor.

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #4,356 of 6,061
A custom 2a3 SET (more than plenty loud despite 3.5w).  The red wine sig16 edged out the f5 and 2a3 narrowly by combining their virtues of smoothness and resolution (which I know sounds paradoxical.... maybe it's a balance of the two).

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #4,358 of 6,061
  Doesn't the Amp Camp Amp use switching power supplies?  What did you do to upgrade it?

Correct the AMP Camp is built w/ w switching PS.  I bought this one w/ an already upgraded PS.  Friend of mine did it and I may see him this w/e and ask.  I am just learning DIY amps- built the bottlehead 2A3 and next on to a chip amp that the guys on audiocircle are raving about.  I look forward to hearing it w/ the HE6

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #4,359 of 6,061
Would i need to use the HE speaket adapter to use the HE-6 with a mcintosh ma6100? Or can i just go bareback?

Thanks guys.

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #4,360 of 6,061
Would i need to use the HE speaket adapter to use the HE-6 with a mcintosh ma6100? Or can i just go bareback?

Thanks guys.

It's solid state? You don't need the box.

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #4,361 of 6,061
I just acquired an older Yamaha P4500 pro amp the other day. Sonically, I like it more than the newer P7000s that I have. It seems to have a more tactile feel. Guitar plucks and things like that seem to jump out more without being harsh. The downside is that it has a fan, not terribly loud, but noticeable. I suspect giving it a good cleaning/dusting might help alleviate that though.

The P7000s renders bass better (great amp for subs), but feels dry up top. More silent though; the 7k has fans but they almost never turn on.

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #4,362 of 6,061
I'm sure that something similar has already been addressed, but I would like to be sure before attempting to do it:): Would it be safe to connect my HE-6 directly to the speaker taps of my power amp, which is rated at 500W at 2Ohms, and using a Parasound preamp to control volume? Or should I use the Hifiman adapter for safety?

Thanks!

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #4,364 of 6,061

^^Agreed^^

The F1J is for sure a very, very, very good amp for the HE-6.  However, going by Shazb0t preference for neutral to slightly warm..  The F1J will sit right at that neutral point with kick ass bass, The M2 will take you to the slightly warm side of neutral, so would the (Audio-GD Master 10).  

I was looking at the SIT-2 and the F2J as well.   Also there's is the Pass Labs line of amps.  I think that's where the bar is raised to the next level.  

How do you feel about the F5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back