Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Feb 24, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #4,337 of 6,061

You don't need the HE-Adaptor if you're running the HE-6 out of a solid state amp. You're just adding extra resistance and degrading the signal. You only need it if you are running out of a tube amp.

With a solid state amp you can terminate directly into the speaker taps with your cable. Many people prefer to do this with a 4-pin female to speaker tap adaptor like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Handmade-Dyson-Audio-OFHC-Hifiman-HE-6-HE-5LE-HE-4-Binding-Post-Adapter-/351647572231 

Enjoying the conversation.  Why is the HE adaptor needed for tube amps? 

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #4,339 of 6,061
That Yamaha sounded awesome at the Chicago meet!

Thanks man, I'm pretty happy with it.  with all the amazing new stuff that was there, I kind of thought people ignored my setup.  although I was having some computer issues as well.

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #4,340 of 6,061
That Yamaha sounded awesome at the Chicago meet!

Thanks man, I'm pretty happy with it.  with all the amazing new stuff that was there, I kind of thought people ignored my setup.  although I was having some computer issues as well.

I was rocking out to it! Steve totally made fun of me! I still want to hear that Sansui sometime.

I think Warren got me with the Liquid Gold though. I'm probably going to have to sell off my Liquid Crimson and get it done, since they're offering that $600 loyalty discount. You heard it with my HD800, how can I say no to that?

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #4,341 of 6,061
  So. How DO you HE-6 owners connect these headphones to speaker taps? I've used a HiFiMan HE-Adapter to connect mine to a old Pioneer VS-816 (110w/c) -- and besides it sounding pretty inferior, the HE-Adapter is prone to getting very hot, and solder or something inside releasing stinking smoke. Placing the adapter in an open window during freezing temperatures will solve that problem, but that's obviously not a workable solution.

Uh... if there's smoke coming out, there is something very very wrong...
blink.gif

Please open up the case and take a look for what's burning. If you don't know what to look for, take some pictures for us.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #4,343 of 6,061
Are there any bang for the buck vintage speaker amps I should be looking for specifically? I've been happily running my he-6 on an Emotiva mini-x, but I am getting the urge to scratch the itch and see if you guys are exaggerating on the potential sound upgrades or not. I'm not trying to spend a lot of $, any guidance on what models to keep an eye out for would be appreciated.

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #4,344 of 6,061
I have also been looking at vintage receivers... A lot of people swear by them. I believe some favorites are Pioneer (780/880/980/1280), Marantz, Sansui (higher end stuff), etc. Others can speak to these far better than I, as I'm just learning about them.

That said, I came across an Anthem MCA 20 for a decent price recently... wondering how it'd compare to a Parasound A23. I've asked before and heard that the A23 doesn't match all that well with the HE-6, but on other audio forums, I read the A23 is superior to the MCA20 (in general). Anyone have any experience with the MCA20, or both?

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #4,345 of 6,061
I have also been looking at vintage receivers... A lot of people swear by them. I believe some favorites are Pioneer (780/880/980/1280), Marantz, Sansui (higher end stuff), etc. Others can speak to these far better than I, as I'm just learning about them.

That said, I came across an Anthem MCA 20 for a decent price recently... wondering how it'd compare to a Parasound A23. I've asked before and heard that the A23 doesn't match all that well with the HE-6, but on other audio forums, I read the A23 is superior to the MCA20 (in general). Anyone have any experience with the MCA20, or both?

What model Marantz?

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #4,347 of 6,061
  Wanted to share a nice discovery for HE-6.  Don't think I've seen this amp mentioned anywhere here:  Audio Zone Amp-1. 45W into 8 ohms, peak power up to 100W:

http://www.audio-zone.ca/amp-1.html

It's a gain clone.  Fully dual mono.  Provides high, steady current.  Dual stepped attenuators are top notch and quite handy for balance control.
The thing takes care of any and all brightness and really gives the HE-6 a full, deep sound.

Best paired with a tube dac but still killer with my Eximus (which is warm to begin with).

Best I've heard my HE-6s sound.

resurected this post from 2013.  Has anyone tried some of the less expensive gainclones?  Dal audio for example?

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #4,349 of 6,061
Have not tried the First Watt amps but am currently using my Nelson Pass Design Amp Camp Amp (DIY w/ upgraded power supply and about 6W)  w/o the HE adaptor and it's very very nice.  Super wide stage and excellent detail and presence and not harsh at all.  after listening last PM  I had the feeling I had been to a live concert.   First used it a couple weeks ago w/ the HE adaptor and thought it sounded just OK.  W/o the adaptor it's like a different amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back