Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Nov 21, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #3,422 of 6,061
I have my first watt j2 . I normally use a odyssey stratos extreme. I used it straight up xlr out from ps audio perfectwave mk2 with bridge to amp. I listen about vol 42 on the stratos extreme and about 70 with the j2. What I hear is the j2 is more detailed, beter focus , better microdynqmics .you will be swayed odyssey has better louder bass but j2 is tighter. The j2 is very detailed as well. It's so hard to choose. Straight from dac via xlr the j2 is dead quiet, the odyssey has a very faint noise but when music plays its all good. I'd like to let u know I only used it for some rock,songwriter,pop,acoustic music , no classicl here.

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #3,424 of 6,061
hello again 
biggrin.gif

where do modern av receivers stand when compared to the usual speaker amps advised for use with the he-6 ?do receivers provide less performance/dollar when used for audio only with the he-6.... ie. would getting a dedicated speaker amplifier/pre be of better value overall ?

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #3,429 of 6,061
Anyone had experience of use the vintage amplifier Fisher KX-200 with Hifiman He-6? How it is good?
Several Fishers are mentioned in the HE-6 thread. Be aware that many of the Fisher amp/integrated are transformer coupled amps. Because of that, you need a 10 watt/10 ohm resistor across each output so that the transformer sees a load closer to 8 ohms. Using a 50 ohm load on that transformer will cook it.

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #3,431 of 6,061
The J2 lacks with the he6 it has great quality sound but lacks driving the he6. With efficient speakers its another story- best I've heard with speakers.

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #3,435 of 6,061
goes to show that the he-6 is just hungry for power, even the cheapest of integrated amps can raise the he-6 to a level higher than most headphones out there.... now all you have to do is get some Quality power 
wink.gif
 ... oh, and mod the headphone, and then get a better dac, and a separate pre, and better cables, and better power conditioning 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back