Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jun 2, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #2,836 of 6,061
Shameless plug - just put my Woo WA5 maxed up for sale - sonic bliss is clicks away.
biggrin.gif
  All his friends are along for the ride as well. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/721043/woo-audio-wa5-maxed#post_10592459
Thx!!

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #2,837 of 6,061
Hmmm that is not too bad. And this can be done for non-bedrooms? This room is technically a bedroom, but it only has my gear in here...

I have a friend who is a home theater installer. I'll ask him about the going rate as well as the GFCI requirements/restrictions.

The typical hourly rate is $85. Time wise would be dependent upon where the outlets need to be placed. I would guess a minimum of two hours.

He said the GFCIs are only needed in bathrooms and kitchens. He thinks my amps were just tripping the breakers. He did said that current electrical codes will probably require arc protection at the breaker panel.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #2,838 of 6,061
The typical hourly rate is $85. Time wise would be dependent upon where the outlets need to be placed. I would guess a minimum of two hours.

He said the GFCIs are only needed in bathrooms and kitchens. He thinks my amps were just tripping the breakers. He did said that current electrical codes will probably require arc protection at the breaker panel.

Thanks for finding me another thing to spend my money on...
angry_face.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #2,839 of 6,061
I just tried to power on my amp on a standard outlet. It immediately flipped the circuit breaker. After doing some research, I found that all of our upstairs rooms have AFCI (arc fault circuit interrupters) circuit breakers installed.

According to Wikipedia, as of 2008, all 15 and 20 amp residential circuits require combination-type AFCIs except laundries, bathrooms, garages and unfinished basements.

None of our downstairs have these in the circuit breaker except my office (converted bedroom).

Bryston also confirmed that the amp can not be used on a AFCI protected outlet.

I guess I will be getting an estimate to add some 20 amp outlets. It would be nice to get a dedicated outlet for my projector while I am at it.

The HE-6s are quickly spinning out of control. I hope the ride is worth it.

Jun 2, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #2,840 of 6,061
  Thanks for finding me another thing to spend my money on...
angry_face.gif

as long as you are spending money, here is a good place for the bulk wire  (what i used) http://www.vhaudio.com/wire.html#bulkacwire.

10-2 Cryogenically Treated Romex (10 AWG) is fantastic for dedicated lines and is UL approved for in-wall AC power use. Deep Cryogenic treatment. by American Cryogenics, using a proprietary process developed in conjunction with VH Audio. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #2,843 of 6,061
  Baby Krell meets daddy Krell

Getting ready for some A/B testing before baby Krell leaves.

WOW WOW WOW! ! ! Traffic in SoCal is overrated...gotta get out and come see the beast when you're settled. 
tongue_smile.gif

My back hurts just to look at it!
Congrats !

Me? I got a toothache! 
biggrin.gif

Tripping the mains fuse when switching it on while the waffle-maker is running, are we? 
wink.gif

smiley_thumb.gif
 The overnight sessions demand it!

All this effort just to be able to drive a HP properly. We HE 6 owners are HARDCORE
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

evil_smiley.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #2,844 of 6,061
  WOW WOW WOW! ! ! Traffic in SoCal is overrated...gotta get out and come see the beast when you're settled. 
tongue_smile.gif

Me? I got a toothache! 
biggrin.gif

smiley_thumb.gif
 The overnight sessions demand it!

evil_smiley.gif

that amp is sexy 

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #2,847 of 6,061

Yes, you know or yes it will?  j/k of course....

Looking at the specs, I'd say yes it will :)

Well, all this Krell talk forced me to pull the trigger on a KAV 500 (2 channel).  Yeah, boy!

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #2,849 of 6,061
  Yes, you know or yes it will?  j/k of course....

Looking at the specs, I'd say yes it will :)

Well, all this Krell talk forced me to pull the trigger on a KAV 500 (2 channel).  Yeah, boy!

Keep us posted on how it compares against the F1.
beerchug.gif
I was debating on getting a Pass Labs X250 before I pulled the trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back