Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jul 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #1,337 of 6,061
So the speaker amp still offers the dynamic aggressiveness over the other two. That's what I like about the speaker amps is the more explosive performance. So while the EF is a good match, it can be outdone with a better matched speaker amp. That was my hunch but everyone commenting "the designer would know better what the HE-6 needs" makes you stop and consider. Thank you for freeing that hesitation up.

Is the EF a better performer than that pup Emo? Any noisefloor with louder listening with the EF?

And thank you for putting so much time in for our entertainment.

PS, There is no "little taste" with Darryl. It's always "overkill" :p .

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,339 of 6,061
If I read it correctly you used the GS-X in single ended mode and then concluded it was weaker 
blink.gif
  Wouldn't that more fairly be a comparison to the GS-1 w/ mk2 modules?  Using what you paid for, the GS-X mk2 has more power than either the F1J or EF6 into the HE-6... your B22 though blows them all out of the water for power into the HE-6.

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #1,340 of 6,061
I can't find it on IF today but I could have sworn the EF6 measured badly.  Hopefully I saved a local copy.

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #1,343 of 6,061
Quote:
If I read it correctly you used the GS-X in single ended mode and then concluded it was weaker 
blink.gif
  Wouldn't that more fairly be a comparison to the GS-1 w/ mk2 modules?  Using what you paid for, the GS-X mk2 has more power than either the F1J or EF6 into the HE-6... your B22 though blows them all out of the water for power into the HE-6.

I tried to use them all in SE mode to have some kind of consistency.  Yes - you are correct balanced does indeed yield a different result.  

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #1,345 of 6,061
Dynamics! That is the keyword.

A lot of amps can get get decent volume out of a HE-6 but only an amp that gives you increased dynamic range is the one that is properly driving the HE-6. That is the true test.

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #1,346 of 6,061
Dynamics! That is the keyword.

A lot of amps can get get decent volume out of a HE-6 but only an amp that gives you increased dynamic range is the one that is properly driving the HE-6. That is the true test.

I agree with this for my personal tastes. Power in and of itself doesn't do it.

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #1,349 of 6,061
Quote:
I tried to use them all in SE mode to have some kind of consistency.  Yes - you are correct balanced does indeed yield a different result.  

The only consistency you need worry about is dB.

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #1,350 of 6,061
Quote:
Is the EF a better performer than that pup Emo? Any noisefloor with louder listening with the EF?

While the Emo a-100 is a good buy for the money.  I'll take the EF-6 over it any day of the week.   

The GS-X mk2 has the blackest background of the two.  But the noise floor is still pretty low on the EF-6.  Hardly audible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back