Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Apr 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #1,158 of 6,061
Quote:
below $800 would be really nice. I can take up to $1000 though.

Okay, hkaine listed some good passive options.  Here's some more to check out.  I'd suggest reading up on them and seeing which appeals to you.

Tubed:
 - Audible Illusions Modulus II or III
 - Tubes4Hifi kits.  (most can also be acquired built for <$1K)
 - Peachtree Audio novaPre
 - Mapletree Audio 2b or 4b (both are under $1K)
 - Conrad Johnson PV-5, 10, 11, or 12

SS:
 - Adcom GFP-750
 - Bryston BP20
 - Conrad Johnson PF-1 or 2
 - B&K Pro 10
 - Sansui CA-2000

With the exception of the Tubes4hifi preamps, I'd definitely try to buy used at your price point.  Many of these are out of production but retailed for well beyond your budget.  The Mapletree and Peachtree are still in production and may be hard to find used, but you can always look around for a used one.  If you can find a Modwright preamp for your price range (or stretch it a bit more), those are my favorites.  I use a Modwright SWL9.0se, and it's absolutely brilliant, but they usually go used for $1300 or more.  Anyway, good luck.

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #1,159 of 6,061
What's your price range?  There are tons of options.  Look for low gain or a passive preamp.  If it will match with your amp, and you don't need long interconnects, then I'd suggest getting a Lightspeed attenuator.  There's also the Adcom GFP-750 which can be toggled between active and passive.  Outside of that, post a budget, and I'll try to come up with a bunch of options for you.

Isn't the request for a dac + preamp for the budget.? Some of the suggestions here are just preamps.

Apr 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #1,161 of 6,061
Quote:

Okay, hkaine listed some good passive options.  Here's some more to check out.  I'd suggest reading up on them and seeing which appeals to you.

Tubed:
 - Audible Illusions Modulus II or III
 - Tubes4Hifi kits.  (most can also be acquired built for <$1K)
 - Peachtree Audio novaPre
 - Mapletree Audio 2b or 4b (both are under $1K)
 - Conrad Johnson PV-5, 10, 11, or 12

SS:
 - Adcom GFP-750
 - Bryston BP20
 - Conrad Johnson PF-1 or 2
 - B&K Pro 10
 - Sansui CA-2000

With the exception of the Tubes4hifi preamps, I'd definitely try to buy used at your price point.  Many of these are out of production but retailed for well beyond your budget.  The Mapletree and Peachtree are still in production and may be hard to find used, but you can always look around for a used one.  If you can find a Modwright preamp for your price range (or stretch it a bit more), those are my favorites.  I use a Modwright SWL9.0se, and it's absolutely brilliant, but they usually go used for $1300 or more.  Anyway, good luck.

So if I buy these preamps, I would set it up as source > dac>preamp>amp>headphone/speaker right?

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #1,163 of 6,061
Quote:
So if I buy these preamps, I would set it up as source > dac>preamp>amp>headphone/speaker right?

Would like to know that myself, to be certain :)

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #1,166 of 6,061
Looking at Passives myself and am split between the Goldpoint or the LAT Axiom. Both really basic designs (pot in a box!) but have been well reviewed and claims to be pretty transparent as long as it matches well with your source.

Any recommendations between the 2?

There is also the Khozmo passive that is sold on eBay. Any one get one of these to try out yet? I've read tons on his attenuators but not much about his passive pre built offering.

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #1,168 of 6,061
Quote:
Looking at Passives myself and am split between the Goldpoint or the LAT Axiom. Both really basic designs (pot in a box!) but have been well reviewed and claims to be pretty transparent as long as it matches well with your source.

Any recommendations between the 2?

There is also the Khozmo passive that is sold on eBay. Any one get one of these to try out yet? I've read tons on his attenuators but not much about his passive pre built offering.

TBH I think most of those passive pot in the boxes are similar; differences in sonic mainly comes from Pot and resistor choice - and I'd pick the cheapest (or ask your local builder to build you one with stepped/alps) or go active =p. 

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #1,169 of 6,061
I urge you to try out the EMIA / Intact Audio autoformer-based passives - Dave Slagle is the builder.  There is a difference.  It depends greatly how the attenuation is handled.  Autoformers are in a class by themselves, especially his with their 80% nickle cores.  So far above any resistor-based pot...  I would go this way - worth every penny

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,170 of 6,061
Quote:
I urge you to try out the EMIA / Intact Audio autoformer-based passives - Dave Slagle is the builder.  There is a difference.  It depends greatly how the attenuation is handled.  Autoformers are in a class by themselves, especially his with their 80% nickle cores.  So far above any resistor-based pot...  I would go this way - worth every penny

How do you get a hold of one from him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back