Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Jan 27, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #4,292 of 6,061
  boy, that Khartago looks like a nicely built amp.  I love **** that looks good inside and out.

My Khartago has many of the factory upgrades applied - but I imagine the standard model would still be very hard to beat at it's price.
Built to order, personalised and with 20yr warranty for $995!
The version with just the PS and PCB component upgrades has been compared favourably to the outrageously expensive Solution 700 amp.

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #4,293 of 6,061
Well I was about to order an Audio-GD Precision 1, but apparently they are now discontinued and there is no more stock. What would be similar? A new Stand alone amp or amp/dac with volume control for under $1000? How far from the full potential of the HE-6 would the Emotiva Mini-X really render it?

Thanks guys. You've been so helpful. I do appreciate that.

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #4,294 of 6,061
Well I was about to order an Audio-GD Precision 1, but apparently they are now discontinued and there is no more stock. What would be similar? A new Stand alone amp or amp/dac with volume control for under $1000? How far from the full potential of the HE-6 would the Emotiva Mini-X really render it?

Thanks guys. You've been so helpful. I do appreciate that.

I'm in the same boat (received notice last week that the Precision 1 was discontinued, after having decided to purchase it for my new HE-6's).  I'm now looking at the Odyssey Cylcops (which is an Odyssey Khartago with a passive pre-amp).  Several have commented favorably about the Khartago with the HE-6's.

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #4,295 of 6,061
I have a great combo with my HE6 at the moment

They driven by a Primare 30.1 100w dual mono amp

Now for the problem - I need to downsize to a much smaller form factor

So any suggestions? (up to about $1000), secondhand is fine

Is the Gustard H10 any good ?

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #4,296 of 6,061
I'm in the same boat (received notice last week that the Precision 1 was discontinued, after having decided to purchase it for my new HE-6's).  I'm now looking at the Odyssey Cylcops (which is an Odyssey Khartago with a passive pre-amp).  Several have commented favorably about the Khartago with the HE-6's.

The Cyclops is interesting. My worry is that without the exponential growth curve of the volume control like with an Audio-GD amp the Cyclops would give little to no volume control.

Jan 30, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #4,297 of 6,061
The Cyclops is interesting. My worry is that without the exponential growth curve of the volume control like with an Audio-GD amp the Cyclops would give little to no volume control.

I use a 24 step passive autoformer volume control and I've got enough play. It never goes past 12oclock for me but I can find the right volume. More steps would be nice but it's fine. This is also comparing with the exponential curve of my Master-1 which still doesn't give you a ton of play unless your amp can use ACSS/CAST too which has a lower gain.

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #4,298 of 6,061
I use a 24 step passive autoformer volume control and I've got enough play. It never goes past 12oclock for me but I can find the right volume. More steps would be nice but it's fine. This is also comparing with the exponential curve of my Master-1 which still doesn't give you a ton of play unless your amp can use ACSS/CAST too which has a lower gain.

What amount of power would you say that setup is delivering at 12 o clock? If you turn it all the way up would you get the full 300w @ 8 ohm?

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #4,299 of 6,061
Probably is half of max, but Krell also underrates all their output numbers too. I'll only have music on that setting for very quiet tracks. It's usually in the 8-9oclock region.

You also have to factor in gain for the amp. I got no idea what gain is on yours. Low gain will give you more volume play.

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #4,300 of 6,061
Probably is half of max, but Krell also underrates all their output numbers too. I'll only have music on that setting for very quiet tracks. It's usually in the 8-9oclock region.

You also have to factor in gain for the amp. I got no idea what gain is on yours. Low gain will give you more volume play.

Well your Krell has pretty high gain at +25 dB. The HE-6 should be barely listenable at even 10% of that amps power, but that seems to not be the case. Very odd. Speaking from piece of mind's sake I wonder if I could lower the output of my source somehow if the amp is too powerful. Maybe use an Emotiva control freak between DAC and amp for 2 types of volume control.

Thank you btw ohhgourami you've been very helpful in this thread.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #4,301 of 6,061
I just picked up the HE6 last week and find it hard to put them down.  I don't recall enjoying my HE1K (sold) nearly as much.

I've had very good results with the Bottlehead 2A3 amp and also a Nelson Pass DIY amp called the "Ampcamp" amp - both about 5W or so.

For the other end of the spectrum I'm curious how my D Sonic Class D amp will sound.  It's a outstanding amp w/ Open baffle speakers.  More to follow.

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #4,302 of 6,061

I use a Warpspeed LDR passive preamp and have pretty much complete control over volume regardless of the amp I've used. Since I have not tried other LDR implementations, I can't tell you if this behavior is characteristic of the Warpspeed LDR preamps or LDR preamps in general.

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #4,303 of 6,061

Many people wonder how much money you'll have to spend to properly drive your HE-6. I come from the pro audio world and i've been doing audio mastering in the past.I use headphones since i was 25.Now i'm 43.The he6 has always been a sort of unknow object for me.A headphone not so easy to understand sonically speaking because the LCD-X driven by my Audio-GD Master 9 is my reference combo.Until the other day.At my big surprise (i usually drive the he-6 in balanced mode with my Violectric V281 and my Audio Gd Master 9) the other day i tried the new iCAN SE by iFi Audio and this new bay boy drives the HE-6 like a mad! With 4 watts at 16 ohm the power is really enough. If you engage the bass boost at minimum settings the sound of the HE-6 becomes full engaging punchy fast and literally neutral.The sound is not as refined as with the Master 9 but for 300 bucks you get very very close. Well worth a try!!!

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #4,304 of 6,061
Follow up on using the D Sonic M3-800S with the HE6:

After going back and forth w/ my Bottlehead 2A3, Nelson Pass AMP Camp Amp (6W), and D Sonic Class D Amp - I am extremely pleased (code language for happy as a pig in mud)  w/ the Class D amp - particularly the punch!, space, zero noise and extreme detail.   If I did not already have this amp in my possession would not have thought to pair the two.

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #4,305 of 6,061
I believe that's "Happy as a pig at hight tide."  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back