Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Apr 3, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #3,991 of 6,061

Nad D7050 don't seem to be huge jump in sound quality over the Nuforce, it looks pretty and small as they are class D.

If you could find any class D Integrated amp, that sound as good as Firstwatt or Krell, I will be very interested. 

Compared to which Nuforce amp? The Icon/Dia range, or the STA-100/200? I still have an Icon2 sitting around that I could rig up (along with an HDP and LPS for power)

The 7050 is a bit bigger than the 3020, and also twice the price. I think if I were to look at the NADs I'd lean more towards the 3020. Once into the 7050 price/size range, I might as well go all out again.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #3,992 of 6,061
Quest continues on the headamp that will drive the HE-6s close enough to my class A speaker amp.

So far the closest:
1. Audio-GD HE-9.
This thing could pull off some mean mean bass: digging deep down and with lots of body and slam. A bit restricted in soundstage width and height compared to speaker amp, but lots of depth and sounding on the warmer side of neutral, a couple of notches. It made the music sound personal enough, but because of the depth not in your face nor that dreaded solid state left/right soundstage type. Great presentation. The speaker amp can resolve a bit more detail and sounds more airy, open and clear. Overall the HE-9 had a very satisfying, engaging and relaxing sound. An interesting combination of solid state precision, power and tubey liquidity and depth.

However I can't recommend it as I found my version full of issues, including hum, frying DACs and other stuff such as not starting-up properly. I am not sure if those issues affected sound or not, but there should be a question mark there.

2. Moon 430HA.
On the plus side nice body, very good detail and well balanced presentation across the frequency spectrum, very good soundstage width and height, although I would prefer a bit more depth. The transients on this amp can sometimes feel slightly ethereal sounding, a tiny bit like Stax transients. Very interesting, but the other side of the coin is it limits articulation and viscerality very slightly.

What I found wanting: Rolling off slightly on the sub-bass and missing some bass texture, imaging very slightly confused in terms of instrument separation, not as good in articulation as the speaker amp.  One of the better headamps, however I still reach for the speaker amp, because I always wonder: how would this track sound on the speaker amp. Invariably better on the latter.

To summarize the Moon 430HA I found enjoyable listening while working. But it never captures my attention away from what I am doing so to get lost in the music.

Other amps I am not including in this list (imo the gap was too big):
- Schiit Ragnarok. With this particular one, it did not do anything too bad, and it certainly had power. The soundstage was a good size, better than the average solid state. However, to me the deal breaker was it has an added layer of smoothness, always present, finely brushing over everything: transients, details, clarity. I can see why it can work in some contexts of bright downstream/bright headphones combos, but imo it is a coloration I am not asking for. My context is that I do not need this, with any headphones. I suspect my Theta R2R DAC is partly reponsible for providing a very balanced, natural sound, with absolutely no harshness. I did swap to a brighter delta/sigma DAC and I still much preferred the amps higher up in the list. Was it a bad Rag sample? I don't know, but other owners who have a good list of amps in their stable, chimed in to some of the traits I am describing.

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #3,993 of 6,061
So the search continues "for some".  I don't see the Rag on the list.  Could it be in the third place spot or is it not worth mentioning?  

For me, I've giving up on headphone amps for the HE-6 altogether.  Now a good headphone amp for the HE-1000 might be a different story.  However, I suspect if your current speaker amp is good enough for the HE-6 - it will be good enough for the HE-1000.

The WA5 is said to be a good match, but I'm not sure if that's the case when compared to a good speaker amp.  

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #3,995 of 6,061
  So the search continues "for some".  I don't see the Rag on the list.  Could it be in the third place spot or is it not worth mentioning?  

For me, I've giving up on headphone amps for the HE-6 altogether.  Now a good headphone amp for the HE-1000 might be a different story.  However, I suspect if your current speaker amp is good enough for the HE-6 - it will be good enough for the HE-1000.

The WA5 is said to be a good match, but I'm not sure if that's the case when compared to a good speaker amp.  

This was a good point. I added a foot note. One of the reasons I started his list, is that certainly imo headamps went up in quality/power/specs as well as pricing lately. However, my speaker amp reference has not been matched yet.

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #3,996 of 6,061
  Eventually, down the track I plan to build a SUSY (Super Symmetry) Balanced Dynahi for the HE-6.

I think that or a Pass Labs amp would be the ultimate for me.

That one is very high on my usual suspects list. I will buy one when I can find a good build or a builder happy to make me a 230V version.

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #3,997 of 6,061
The SS Dynahi is interesting.  The Head fi user "Greed" did a comparison with the SS D-Hi and the Rag on the other site.  

The title of the thread is something like:  What the Dynahi wish is could be.  

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #3,998 of 6,061
  The SS Dynahi is interesting.  The Head fi user "Greed" did a comparison with the SS D-Hi and the Rag on the other site.  

The title of the thread is something like:  What the Dynahi wish is could be.  

That was a good write-up and I really appreciated it was detailed. As I was reading Greed's comments, it got me even more interested in the SuSy Dynahi. I was close to buying one a while ago, and regret I did not pull the trigger back then. But I'll try to get one somewhere in my future plans, and if possible try to customize the component selection a bit.

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #3,999 of 6,061
Thank you for your advices on the Amplifiers for the HE-6.

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #4,001 of 6,061
For some reason the Benchmark AHB2 crossed my radar again recently. I was looking at it over a year ago but it kept getting delayed over and over and I forgot about  it. The topology is interesting, and Benchmark has some reasonably good pedigree behind them. I also like the compact form factor.

http://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/products/products/benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier

Just tossing out some reviews links I found from google:
http://www.stereotimes.com/post/benchmark-media-ahb2-achromatic-audio-amplifier/
http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/?s=posted+review+benchmark+ahb2

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #4,002 of 6,061
  For some reason the Benchmark AHB2 crossed my radar again recently. I was looking at it over a year ago but it kept getting delayed over and over and I forgot about  it. The topology is interesting, and Benchmark has some reasonably good pedigree behind them. I also like the compact form factor.

http://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/products/products/benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier

Just tossing out some reviews links I found from google:
http://www.stereotimes.com/post/benchmark-media-ahb2-achromatic-audio-amplifier/
http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/?s=posted+review+benchmark+ahb2

Very expensive and need a preamp.

I am also looking for compact factor. do you consider Mint? https://wyred4sound.com/products/integrated-amps/mint

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #4,003 of 6,061
Or a dac with volume control.

I remember seeing the mINT before, but I have no experience with W4S gear.

Actually something in roughly the price range I do have is the Centrance Dacmini PX, although that's serving duty as a speaker rig.

edit: also really curious about the NAD D3020 since the amp section was co-developed with Hypex (with their UcD modules I believe).

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #4,004 of 6,061
I am reading good reviews on C5i as well, but inside looks scary, does not seem have much body.

http://www.belcantodesign.com/eOne/products/integrated-amplifiers/c5i-integrated-amplifier/

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #4,005 of 6,061
I don't have time to read back through this whole thread, and I'm sure it has been discussed, but how good does a single-ended Beta 22 with the Sigma 22 power supply drive the HE-6?
How do they sound together?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back