Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Feb 24, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #3,841 of 6,061
  The LCD-2.2 - yuk.  No, just kidding - but it was not a favorite of mine at all.  The EF-6 is not an amp you want to do long listening sessions with, you might feel like you just came from the dentist office getting a root canal.  

Seriously:  going to some audio store in Austin is going to be one of the best thing to do.  Take along one of these: You might can get a fast turn around time at BTG, not sure what is work load is these days:  http://www.btg-audio.com/   forget about Norne, it takes about a month or so to get your cable - However, he would have been my first choice.

You live in the states correct.  OK well Reno Hi fi has one of the best in home trail and return polices around and Mark is a great guy to deal with - he will answer all your question.  Oh by the way - he sell speaker amps 
biggrin.gif
  For the price of the EF-6 Mark could hook you up with something way better.  His stuff is mostly used, demos or refurbished but comes with a three year warranty.  http://renohifi.com/FirstUsed/FirstUsedInStock.htm

Also there's AudioGon for a better verity, but I have not idea about returns there.

What kind of cable is that, I can't find one that looks like it exactly at BTG?

Is the above all that is needed to plug into a speaker amp? Is there anything else I need to be aware of when trying to run it off speaker amp?

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #3,842 of 6,061
Just email hims picture of the cable - he'll make it for you.  I'm guessing you have the stock cable that came with the HE-6 - correct?  The question is did yours come with the 4 pin XLR male cable?  If so then yeah that's the kind of cable you want.

Will you be carrying a DAC with you?  Does it have volume control?  If not, I guess the audio store will hook you up with some kind of DAC and preamp.  

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #3,843 of 6,061
Ok so being somewhat impatient and on a timelimit (return period-wise) I just went ahead and ordered an EF-6 1 day-shipping off Amazon even though I've read some less than stellar reviews on here. It was the amp that seemed to meet the power requirement that I could get to my house the quickest... I also had come across a review that suggested it was on the "lusher" side of things when paired with the HE-6 which sounded good to me.

First impressions are: the detail is seriously mindboggling. I have the LCD-X right next to it and while its detail is already really impressive (to me at least -- I'm a total newbie), the HE-6 seems to take it some other plane entirely. If I close my eyes I am IN the room with the musicians. There is also an intensity to the music that I really dig.

My only criticism is that the HE-6 seems lacking in soundstage compared to the X. Instrument separation seems better on the HE-6 however. With the HE-6 I have more of a feeling of being in the room with the musicians than the X, but the placement of everything is more of a blur around me. I should add that the excessive brightness and "thinness" that I had with the Mjolnir is not there anymore. It's still a bit too much on the bright side for me with some stuff (i.e. black metal) but that's not a problem since I have the LCD2 for that :). It's actually bit of a strange effect, on these recordings it almost feels like the excessive brightness makes things "muddier". 

I think I'm probably going to walk away from this little journey with 2 headphones and 2 amps. I've already found a great pairing for my LCD2.2, now I'm just trying to decide for on something for classical and other music that the LCD2 doesn't do as well. I may order a HD800 to compare with the X and HE-6. (once I get my money back for a returned Mjolnir and a few other things...)

I am going to Austin to visit my sister in a few weeks, so if I decide to keep the HE-6 rather than the X I'll probably return the EF-6 and try my luck at the many music/audio stores in Austin. I figure I can always order the EF-6 again off Amazon and keep it if I don't find something I like more.500

Just a couple of short comments.

If you use the Sophia Electric Magik Box between the source and the EF-6, all the brightness will be gone and the soundstage will improve. It is sacrilegious to me, however, to use $2,500 crutches to support a $1,600 amp!

Finally, be careful with Amazon. If they detect a pattern of frequent returns of expensive items with no apparent good reason--just because you don't like it won't cut it--they will suspend your return privilege or close your account all together.

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #3,844 of 6,061
Yes the HE-6 came with a 4-pin. I'll be taking at least my Bifrost with me since it's fairly portable. I've only run it from my desktop though, what would I need to run it off say a CD player? I may be able to borrow a laptop but there's no guarantee atm.

@Justin_Time Thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid a second $2500 piece of gear is outside my budget.

I hope Amazon is somewhat lenient since I order CDs from them near constantly and have kept some of the high priced items (Lyr) I've purchased and will now almost certainly keep the HE6 if I can have some assurance that I can tame the treble with the right amp.

I shot an email to BTG audio for the cable. Hopefully I can get it before the trip.

EDIT: I am definitely going to be keeping the HE-6 over the X. I like the X but the 6 offers a much more different experience than my LCD-2 so it makes more sense to keep it. Orchestral music is just incredible. I've listening to Roll Tide right now (just off of spotify) and it's stunning how engrossing the music is. There is also this really cool quality where it feels like the music is projecting from some black void. Hard to describe but it's a very magical feeling. I don't think I'm going to bother trying out the HD800 for now (emphasis on the "for now"), I don't see how it could beat this, plus from my reading the HD800 has more brightness issues which I'm sensitive to.

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #3,845 of 6,061
Ok so I'm trying to read through this entire thread before heading to Austin in 2 weeks and I see a lot of people mentioning using some kind of adaptor when using some speaker amps. Can anyone tell me what kind of adaptor I need exactly? I'm just trying to make sure I have absolutely everything before the trip.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #3,847 of 6,061
Well I'd like to try both types out so I'd better get this I suppose.

Ok so I'm looking at the screenshots of the Hifiman box... http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=104

So would I need to get two cables from Brian to use the above?... assuming I'm thinking how this works correctly: HE-6 4 pin male cable > into female 4 pin w/ banana end > resistor box > male 4 pin cable w/ banana end > amp

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #3,848 of 6,061
The adapter box and the DIY adapter cable should not be used together. 

Use the DIY cable in-between the amp and the headphones - us the box in-between the amp and the headphones.  With the box you will need some regular speaker cable with spades or bananas on both ends.  

DIY Cable:
HE-6 (with 4 pin male XLR) --> DIY Cable (4-pin female XLR on one end, spades or bananas on the other end) --> amp

Box:
HE-6 (with 4 pin male XLR) --> Box --> speaker cables (spades or bananas on both ends) --> amp

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #3,849 of 6,061
I have some vintage speaker amps lying around (luxman 309 and 80v, all solid-state, to be exact) and plan to drive the he6 with them. The question is should i plug them directly in the speaker out of the amps or it will need an external adaptor (like hifiman box)? And would the drivers be damaged if i plug them directly?

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #3,850 of 6,061
Box:
HE-6 (with 4 pin male XLR) --> Box --> speaker cables (spades or bananas on both ends) --> amp

I have found the above setup doesn't work all that great with the HE6 and tube amps - but it does work fantastically well with tube amps and the HD800.

Using the WA5, the HE6 sounds much, much better from the K1K port than the speaker taps via the HiFiMan adapter box. The SQ drops some dynamics and punch with the box - noticeably so. I did the same thing with a 20W 845 SET amp, and the WA5 K1K port was still noticeable better sounding.

For the HD800, it is the reverse. The dynamics take a significant leap upwards from the adapter box rather the standard HPH output (the HD800 doesn't work from the K1K port - loud hum results).

For solid state amps I have a HE6 harness that connects direct to the speaker taps. Have to say I do not notice much difference at all between the power amp speaker taps and the headphone output on the 430HA and K1K output on the WA5.

My view is that an 8W headphone amp that has a beefy power supply (like the 430HA and WA5) can take the HE6 about as far as it can go as far as power needs are concerned, or very close to it.

Hooking it up directly to the speaker taps of a high end power amp (Accuphase P-4200, conservatively rated 90W, peak 150W output) did very, very little to improve the SQ for me. Perhaps a slight increase in dynamics and bass response, but it was so slight I am still not sure if it was just an illusion happening in my head. Certainly not enough SQ improvement to justify the purchase and use of a speaker tap harness if you already have a powerful headphone amp that can deliver the juice to the HE6 (like the 430HA or WA5).

If you don't have a powerful headphone amp, then the speaker tap harness for the HE6 makes tremendous sense. To deliver the power that the HE6 requires, together with the SQ to make it worth the effort, is no small task for a headphone amp. Both the WA5 and 430Ha can do this, but both are expensive beasts.

If you have a speaker capable tube amp I highly recommend getting the HiFiMan adapter box (or some other resistance gizmo to protect the amp) and plug the HD800 into it. The results can be stunningly good.

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #3,851 of 6,061
I find it very confusing about the WA5.  Why is it a different SQ from the K1K headphone out, the other headphone out and the speaker post?  It must send a very high amount of gain to the K1K output that result in the load hum.  That's something I would like to stay away from.  I've heard the WA5 with my HE-6 many of times.  Never could understand it.  Plus it cost way to much compared to most all the First Watt amps.  

While I have not heard the Sim 430 headphone amp - I don't trust "any" headphone amp with the HE-6.  Sure it might sound pretty good.  But at what cost?  I'll stick with an affordable speaker amp.  I have heard the SimAudio 600i integrated amp - which is in a different class than the 430 headphone amp - sounds marvelous with the HE-6.  

The Schiit Rag, SimAudio 430, Audio-GD HE-9 are the "new" group of headphone amps to try and take down the HE-6 so to speak.  Sure they all sound very good, but compared to a first class low cost, low powered, low gain speaker amp I think not.

Someone on this site has been giving me blow by blow comparisons between the HE-9 and the Rag and a integrated amp.  So far the Rag has came in last place.  The HE-9 as a pre to the integrated amp is the best setup thus far.

I would on most all occasions recommend a Nelson Pass First Watt speaker amp.  They are low powered and have very little gain, that also plays very well with the HD800.  

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #3,852 of 6,061
Quote:AN

I would on most all occasions recommend a Nelson Pass First Watt speaker amp.  They are low powered and have very little gain, that also plays very well with the HD800.  

Agreed. I was floored when I tried the HD800 with the J2. I made the purchase to use exclusively with the HE-6, but it sounds absolutely fantastic with the HD800.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #3,853 of 6,061
  Someone on this site has been giving me blow by blow comparisons between the HE-9 and the Rag and a integrated amp.  So far the Rag has came in last place.  The HE-9 as a pre to the integrated amp is the best setup thus far.

The Ragnarok was the first to go out. It was just not doing anything well enough vs the competition. It was not bad and it has the volume for the HE-6s. Just very average sounding. The HE-9 was both more detailed, more organic sounding, and more engaging to me at the same time.

I still have the HE-9 at home for a few more days, before I have to return it to Audio GD for QC issues. The speaker amplifier that the HE-9 is going against is the Xindak A600E MK2. It is an integrated with 60 watts pure A,  going to 160 Watts AB (in 8 ohms). Coming in at 116lbs it's a beast, but a very taught and agile one. Nothing that I heard so far in solid state has equalled the sound stage of the Xindak. It was proven to me on speakers, but also on Stax via transformer box and now on the HE-6s.

I am still comparing the remainder two in this game. To my surprise the HE-9 was no slouch. It has really MEAN bass weight, better than the speaker amplifier. It totally thrashed the Ragnarok, that it was just not worth it to even compile my notes. That was also the case with the HE-9 driving the 3Fs and Focal Spirit Pro, no contest, despite the HE-9 being slightly warmer sounding than the Ragnarok. I did not hear the Master 9, but based on how my friends describe it, the HE-9 sounds quite different.

Because of QC issues this HE-9 has, I have to be very very careful to how I connect it to my second Theta DAC, which is where it really shines. On a run of the mill Sigma/Delta DAC, the HE-9 does not shine as much. This would make sense as Audio GD sell an R2R DAC, and it could be voiced on that.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #3,854 of 6,061
  I find it very confusing about the WA5.  Why is it a different SQ from the K1K headphone out, the other headphone out and the speaker post?  It must send a very high amount of gain to the K1K output that result in the load hum.  That's something I would like to stay away from.  I've heard the WA5 with my HE-6 many of times.  Never could understand it.  Plus it cost way to much compared to most all the First Watt amps.  

While I have not heard the Sim 430 headphone amp - I don't trust "any" headphone amp with the HE-6.  Sure it might sound pretty good.  But at what cost?  I'll stick with an affordable speaker amp.  I have heard the SimAudio 600i integrated amp - which is in a different class than the 430 headphone amp - sounds marvelous with the HE-6.  

The Schiit Rag, SimAudio 430, Audio-GD HE-9 are the "new" group of headphone amps to try and take down the HE-6 so to speak.  Sure they all sound very good, but compared to a first class low cost, low powered, low gain speaker amp I think not.

I don't know the technical details of why the output is as it is with the WA5. I do know the K1K output makes the HE6 sing marvelously well. Ditto the 430HA. I didn't find the speaker tap harness from the power amp added much to either in terms of SQ.

I guess it depends on which direction you want to go in. I purchased the WA5 because I wanted a high end headphone tube amp to drive a range of headphones, including the HE6. The 430HA does the same thing for SS, and makes for a superb preamp as well. It has many shared components and technology from the Evo 740P preamp (if you are familiar with the Simaudio lineup). Before deciding on the Accuphase P-4200 power amp I had a long look at the Simaudio Evo 760A. I went with the P-4200 as it as a warmer, richer sound that I like.

The point of my ramblings is that there is more than one valid path to HE6 nirvana:
1) Speaker tap harness
2) Powerful headphone amp

Either can get you there.

#1 is definitely more cost effective if your goal is to drive the HE6. If you want to drive a range of headphones # 2 might offer greater flexibility.

To each their own
smile.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #3,855 of 6,061

The Ragnarok was the first to go out. It was just not doing anything well enough vs the competition. It was not bad and it has the volume for the HE-6s. Just very average sounding. The HE-9 was both more detailed, more organic sounding, and more engaging to me at the same time.

I still have the HE-9 at home for a few more days, before I have to return it to Audio GD for QC issues. The speaker amplifier that the HE-9 is going against is the Xindak A600E MK2. It is an integrated with 60 watts pure A,  going to 160 Watts AB (in 8 ohms). Coming in at 116lbs it's a beast, but a very taught and agile one. Nothing that I heard so far in solid state has equalled the sound stage of the Xindak. It was proven to me on speakers, but also on Stax via transformer box and now on the HE-6s.

I am still comparing the remainder two in this game. To my surprise the HE-9 was no slouch. It has really MEAN bass weight, better than the speaker amplifier. It totally thrashed the Ragnarok, that it was just not worth it to even compile my notes. That was also the case with the HE-9 driving the 3Fs and Focal Spirit Pro, no contest, despite the HE-9 being slightly warmer sounding than the Ragnarok. I did not hear the Master 9, but based on how my friends describe it, the HE-9 sounds quite different.

Because of QC issues this HE-9 has, I have to be very very careful to how I connect it to my second Theta DAC, which is where it really shines. On a run of the mill Sigma/Delta DAC, the HE-9 does not shine as much. This would make sense as Audio GD sell an R2R DAC, and it could be voiced on that.

I didn't want to mention any names.  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back