Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Dec 9, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #3,466 of 6,061
anyone gone to the high end toob realm with the he-6 yet 
tongue.gif
 ?

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #3,470 of 6,061
How work the Taurus mk2 with the HE-6?

Is enough amp to drive correctly these headphones?

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #3,471 of 6,061

Man, That's very rare.  They don't come around often.   Good that you jumped on it.  What will you use as the pre?

i can run it off the dac  with a pre the perfectwave dac mk2  , or the nad m51.
im not sure if the decware csp3 will be a good match with it 

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #3,473 of 6,061

I couldn't understand the amp selection, as it seemed to be setting up the HE6 to fail.

I am an amateur noob in the HeadFi world, and even I know you need a bucketload of watts for this headphone to do it's thing. It's not a secret - DrFang makes it very clear that these are "ear-speakers" and need lots of power.

I wonder how many potential HE6 owners were put off by the review?

I own the LCD-X and have heard the LCD-3F, both driven from the Auralic Taurus Mk2 (which I also own). Both are excellent headphones, but I prefer a modded HE6 driven by my WA5 in 98% of circumstances. You would never guess that was even possible if you were guided by the comments at InnerFidelity.

And with the Taurus ¿what you prefer? HD800, LCD-X, LCD-3F or HE-6?

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #3,475 of 6,061
Hi Ganesh,

Long time, I've been meaning to pm you but extremely busy, sitting in another airport lounge now.  Check out this if you're looking for a passive pre, I've had some time with one and was extremely impressed, somewhere in feb I'm flying to the US and intend to pick one up, cheaper than having to deal with the import procedure.

http://www.tortugaaudio.com/new-preamps-pricing-holiday-year-end-specials/

Silent as hell (meaning the level of background noise).

Dec 9, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #3,476 of 6,061
  How work the Taurus mk2 with the HE-6?

Is enough amp to drive correctly these headphones?

Not really. It will drive them, but the bass is weak and the sound is thin. The Taurus can throw about 4W into the HE6 - just not enough to get the best out of this headphone.

Dec 9, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #3,477 of 6,061

And with the Taurus ¿what you prefer? HD800, LCD-X, LCD-3F or HE-6?

I find the Taurus mates very well with the LCD-X. If I had the chance to do it all again I would purchase an LCD-3F rather than the LCD-X, just a personal preference for a darker sound.

I prefer the HE6 and HD800 from the WA5 (although the HD800 from the Taurus is very good).

I will mod my HD800 in the next few days - that might change things a little.

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #3,479 of 6,061

The PWD mk2's pre is not as good as the NAD m51's pre, But the NAD' DAC is not as good as the PWD's DAC - All IMO..

Why won't the Decware csp3 be a good match as a pre?  

i find the same as your observation  about the ps audio and nad .
ive read before that the first few first watts are hard to pair with a pre , it does not pair well with tube preamps .

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #3,480 of 6,061

SD,
don't you use the declare as a pre for the odyssey? Klaus is busy upgrading mine to the level of the kismet...but I need a good pre-amp. Help!

yeah might as well as Klaus to modify and put one in there - but he might just ask u to buy one of his LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back