Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones
Dec 19, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #2,251 of 6,061
Ok guys and gals . Using the two resisters in an attenuation config. What would be good for a 300 ohm hd800. Looking for same 12.5 db attenuation. . Same amp .

.?

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #2,252 of 6,061
Hello all. I think what is being done here is great. And i an on using it

However the next thread i feel we need is
Output imp and its effect on sound of our IEMS OR HEADPHONES
as i have gathered info on this and have some theorys
Of my own. So what to you people think

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #2,253 of 6,061

I did try my d7000 pads on my he-500 and he-6. comfort was great, sound was horrible. my favorite are the velours pads. but the leather hifiman are more comfortable for long sessions. but the velours sound so good. the audeze pads appears to be much better. I checked them on the audeze website. they are surprisingly expensive too. I will order a couple pairs for my he-500 and he-6.

Pleather on the HE-6 don't ****** up the sound like they did on the HE-500.
I didn't notice the velour were much better (or any better for that matters) on the 6s. If anything, pleather make the sound darker and fuller in addition to being way more comfy. It's my go-to for these headphones.

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #2,254 of 6,061
With the Audeze micro suede ("vegan") earpads (on HE-6) you get both more sub-bass and a more open / spacious sound. So it's a win-win - contrary to the HiFiMan earpads where you have to choose between more open, but less bass - or more bass, but less open sound.

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #2,255 of 6,061
  With the Audeze micro suede ("vegan") earpads (on HE-6) you get both more sub-bass and a more open / spacious sound. So it's a win-win - contrary to the HiFiMan earpads where you have to choose between more open, but less bass - or more bass, but less open sound.

+1 Forgot to mention the comfort too.

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #2,256 of 6,061
Hello all. I think what is being done here is great. And i an on using it

However the next thread i feel we need is
Output imp and its effect on sound of our IEMS OR HEADPHONES
as i have gathered info on this and have some theorys
Of my own. So what to you people think

There is quite a bit of material written about this already, but it's always fun to go over :) If I had tons of measurement tools at my disposal, I would love to cover this area in great detail. Not only output impedance, but also varying the impedance of headphones themselves, along with sonic differences between DC-coupled, wideband, etc. amplifiers. Each headphone would need it's own mini-thread though lol!

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #2,257 of 6,061
This update just in...... I finally had a chance to do the hookup for the krill kav400xi. With the he6. WOW this is really good great bass extension and kick drum action. Overall it has tamed them in the high end too. This was unexpected..

I tied using two resisters like show on a few pages back. An 2 ohm and an 8 ohm. But the 8 ohm started to get hot. So I just put the headphones right a cross the outputs and the 10 ohms across the outputs too. Sounds great really good . No noise floor that I can here.

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #2,260 of 6,061
So I tried out the TP60 today, purchased it after about 10 mins trying out a few different CDs in store.

Pretty good first experience running the HE-6 off speaker taps I must say, felt strange with the volume sitting between like 9 and 11 o'clock given the Reference 10 is close to maximum volume at all times. The salesman was gratifyingly perplexed when I produced a pair of headphones to connect to the amp :)

The bass was the main thing I noticed in comparison to how I've been accustomed to hearing the HE-6. Better extension, better weight, better texture while still being fast, tight and without any bloom or bleeding over other frequencies. I already liked the bass from the HE-6, so was frankly quite surprised to hear it improve so noticeably. I can safely say I have absolutely no regrets about selling my LCD-2 yesterday - while I already preferred the bass sound overall in the HE-6, I now feel like those areas where I'd given the LCD-2 what I thought was a fairly healthy lead are now so close I don't feel I'm giving up a lot. I know many here adore the LCD-2 for all styles of music, but for my ears their genre bandwidth was very limited. The HE-6 on the other hand sounds good for everything and especially adept at rock and metal which are key for me. 

The most daunting challenging exciting thing about all of this is knowing the HE-6 can still potentially sound a fair bit better than this...

Could you compare tp60 to Lyr?
I have now He-6 and linsten to them on Lyr, and the result is dissapointing.
The sound is too thin, and bright.
Otherwise I might buy Yamaha A-S1000 for proper amplification.
My He-5les sound spectecular in comparion with the same set-up.

This audition makes me realize how economically good are He-5le.

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #2,261 of 6,061
Can you post a spec or better idea what amp it is , so I may look at the specs. But from what you are saying the amp sounds to week for the headphones. I own a HDVD800. So on paper IRS got enough to play them loud , but not when I use it though. The sound is thin and brighter than normal . Basically it's horrible . I have a audio gd ref10. It does not play them as loud as I like but it does play them great though.

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #2,262 of 6,061
Schiit Lyr spec, Hybrid amp tube+SS

Gain: 10 (20 dB)
Frequency Response: 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB
Maximum Output: 40V P-P into 32 ohms typ
THD: Less than 0.1%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V
Topology: Dynamically Adaptive Dual-Mode Class A, zero feedback, noninverting, hybrid tube/MOSFET, single voltage gain stage, DC-coupled input and output

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #2,263 of 6,061
Ok and this is a speaker amp right . The voltage is high and the gain is too but they are not giving you a wattage and you do not know what the dynamic headroom is either. Although voltage drives the cans the amp has to be able to produce the current necessary to move the diaphragm . So by not giving you a wattage you cannot calculate the current . There is many quoting specs for the headphones but it does not really work for all uses of the headphones. Like I said the audio gd is rated at 6 watts at 40 ohms and 19 volts and a gain of 13 db . So all the specs appear better in your amp.

But the wattage is missing in your so i suspect this is where the problem is. . But this aside that is a great amp for most headphones

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #2,264 of 6,061
Could you compare tp60 to Lyr?
I have now He-6 and linsten to them on Lyr, and the result is dissapointing.
The sound is too thin, and bright.
Otherwise I might buy Yamaha A-S1000 for proper amplification.
My He-5les sound spectecular in comparion with the same set-up.

This audition makes me realize how economically good are He-5le.

When I heard the Lyr with the HE-6, I thought it was pretty disappointing too. Everything just sounded way too smooth and lack resolution. You will get much better results with a speaker amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back