Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 30, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #6,826 of 9,207
I do live with Soloist for more than a year, and still like it. I've tried to replace it, but still can't find a solid state that I like. Tried almost all ss amp at Addicted to Audio (from schiit, bryston, sudgen, v200, to cavalli) still prefer my soloist. I never live with 160d though so I don't know how it compare.

Only with Lcd2, mjolnir is better than soloist to my ears. With others inc hd800, Soloist is better. So if I have to choose 1 amp for my phones, definitely soloist.

The next on my list will be schiit statement, master 8 and gs-x. Hopefully one of them can replace my soloist (already prepare the fund, but won't buy new amp unheard)

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #6,827 of 9,207
  Well in reference to what I was originally saying about the praise the HA-160 originally received was being a godfather pairing with the LCD2's nothing else. I didn't find this the case and so same many other experienced posters/owners.

The Soloist is ok but it still doesn't depreciate the sounding flaws of the LCD2's to the extent the Mojo does which IMHO I'd consider an excellent amp for the LCD2's and HD650's.

But it's ok to agree to disagree.

yeah i used to heard that too.

probably becuase there weren't so many options for LCD-2 when it came out. planars where fairly new.

never heard the mojo, so can't comment on it. there was one last meet i was at, unfortunately didn't get time to check it out.

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #6,828 of 9,207
I do live with Soloist for more than a year, and still like it. I've tried to replace it, but still can't find a solid state that I like. Tried almost all ss amp at Addicted to Audio (from schiit, bryston, sudgen, v200, to cavalli) still prefer my soloist. I never live with 160d though so I don't know how it compare.

Only with Lcd2, mjolnir is better than soloist to my ears. With others inc hd800, Soloist is better. So if I have to choose 1 amp for my phones, definitely soloist.

The next on my list will be schiit statement, master 8 and gs-x. Hopefully one of them can replace my soloist (already prepare the fund, but won't buy new amp unheard)

i finally like my LCD-3 now that i have GS-X. i didn't like them alot before.

i wish i had LCD-2 again to try out with GS-X, it must be a killer pairing, as are all my other headphones with the GS-X

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #6,831 of 9,207
  I feel like buying a Mojo now with all this talk. 

i did a while ago too, but after all the GS-X impressions i decided to just go for it instead. i was gonna get mojo for lcd-2/3, wa2 for t1, and basically go down my list and get an amp for each headphone i had.

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #6,833 of 9,207
Which amp would you have chosen for your Fostex?

soloist or just would of kept WA6-SE.

originally i was gonna go for zana deux, and i heard it, the synergy with the TH-900 is there, but i like a bassy presentation out of the TH-900, the zana made it more ethereal and open sounding, like a closed version of a HD 800, the soundstage was massive. but i have the HD 800 for that.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #6,834 of 9,207
The LCD2 sounds great with the GS-X mk2. I like the LCD2 just a hair more with the Mjolnir because it brightens the signature a bit, but both amps are amazing pairings with the LCD2 and LCD3. The GS-X also pairs well with brighter headphones that sound harsh on the Mjolnir, like the HD800. No question, the GS-X is a better all-arounder.

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #6,835 of 9,207
The LCD2 sounds great with the GS-X mk2. I like the LCD2 just a hair more with the Mjolnir because it brightens the signature a bit, but both amps are amazing pairings with the LCD2 and LCD3. The GS-X also pairs well with brighter headphones that sound harsh on the Mjolnir, like the HD800. No question, the GS-X is a better all-arounder.

I should think so. It's about four times the price :wink:

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #6,836 of 9,207
Dude. Give the Denon headphones a spin. You may like them.

thank you everyone for your replies and advice, i've been advised to get the Bifrost and Lyr, as opposed to just getting the Mjolnir and not using a dac.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #6,837 of 9,207

ah i see. kinda like how i still prefer the WA2 by a hair to the GS-X with the T1 cause it adds more fullness and smoothness, though its subtle and the GSX does perform better in other things.

for now i'm convinced the GS-X is the best all rounder for planars, sounding great with LCD-3 as well as both my hifimans. i hope to hear the mojo sometime in the future, since it seems like its the best you can get for audeze under $1000

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #6,838 of 9,207

I agree 100%  I've owned the Burson HA - 160D, after that I didn't want to try another Burson.  Although the Soloist just may be a good amp - I'll never know.  

I also like the LCDs with the Mjolnir over any other amp I've heard - just the LCDs / Mjolnir.  

If I had multiple headphones of all kinds there is no question I'll pick the GS-X mk2 - just no question.  Yes the DAC does show it's true colors or lack there of with the GS-X mk2.  So if you have the GS-X mk2 the DAC is just as important of a purchase IMO..

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #6,839 of 9,207

I agree 100%  I've owned the Burson HA - 160D, after that I didn't want to try another Burson.  Although the Soloist just may be a good amp - I'll never know.  

I also like the LCDs with the Mjolnir over any other amp I've heard - just the LCDs / Mjolnir.  

If I had multiple headphones of all kinds there is no question I'll pick the GS-X mk2 - just no question.  Yes the DAC does show it's true colors or lack there of with the GS-X mk2.  So if you have the GS-X mk2 the DAC is just as important of a purchase IMO..

very happy with GSX mk2 and my DAC. 

so the Mjolnir really is THE amp for the LCD-2/LCD-3. guess its not the dark star or the liquid fire/liquid glass as others here would have me believe 
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back