Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Sep 28, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #6,811 of 9,207
Are the V200's still the shizzle? I haven't heard about those for a while.. dang was that setup expensive though.

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #6,812 of 9,207
You know hype wears off for new products eventually. V200 are still good contenders but it seems more people have moved onto the Soloist and other Burson stuff and moved onto LCD3's or other headphones from the LCD2's.

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #6,813 of 9,207
  You know hype wears off for new products eventually. V200 are still good contenders but it seems more people have moved onto the Soloist and other Burson stuff and moved onto LCD3's or other headphones from the LCD2's.

In that case I wonder if the Headroom amps are actually really good even though they've been out forever... 

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #6,814 of 9,207

In that case I wonder if the Headroom amps are actually really good even though they've been out forever... 

HP Amp tech has been advancing quickly. My first HP amp was a Headroom, but it is not up to the competition today.

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #6,815 of 9,207

HP Amp tech has been advancing quickly. My first HP amp was a Headroom, but it is not up to the competition today.

Amp tech? 

Sep 28, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #6,816 of 9,207

Amp tech? 

The increasing popularity of Headphones means more research and innovation in materials, op amps, etc. The available quality of gear has improved a lot in the last few years.

Sep 28, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #6,818 of 9,207

The increasing popularity of Headphones means more research and innovation in materials, op amps, etc. The available quality of gear has improved a lot in the last few years.

Well, opamps are in a lot of electronics, but they aren't a headphone amplifier specific type of tech. I see what you mean though.

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #6,820 of 9,207
  My EXTENSIVE review of the RWA Signature 16 is up for viewing:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/683531/review-red-wine-audio-signature-16-integrated-headphone-speaker-amplifier

Enjoy :)

Nice review HPDJ. The fact that you mostly described details you notice in the recordings rather than the specific way the amp is reproducing the sound must mean it's doing it's job well. In such a long review I did find this bit amusing though
my amp at the time (Decware Taboo MKIII) and did a shoot-out. Long story short, the Sig 16 made my demo tracks sound a little more detailed and the bass was tighter.

That comparison is probably main thing people would like a 'long story' on.

Also you mentioned wanting to hear the difference between your SE and the balanced headphone output version. It might be worth checking if you can re-terminate your LCD-2's & run directly from the speaker terminals. You'd should get at least 2W into your LCDs. Reading about success people are having with speaker amps like the 'TBI mg3' above, would love hear a comparison between a balanced Cassabria and a Signature 16 from the speaker terminals.

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #6,821 of 9,207

If you like the 160D + LCD2 (which I never did), if you do upgrade in the future I think the Soloist may be something you might like, major improvement over the HA-160 but still far cry from being in my personal top 10 amp list for the LCD2's. YMMV.

Why did you not like it?
Soloist should sound the same I'd guess, the company is the same and probably also the ears tuning the amp. More power, but if you don't push the HA160, would you notice? I don't listen louder then at 9 o'clock on normal records. Should be plenty of head-room left?

edit: Sorry, you already commented on the fact that the soloist and HA160 would sound alike....

Sep 30, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #6,822 of 9,207

Why did you not like it?
Soloist should sound the same I'd guess, the company is the same and probably also the ears tuning the amp. More power, but if you don't push the HA160, would you notice? I don't listen louder then at 9 o'clock on normal records. Should be plenty of head-room left?

edit: Sorry, you already commented on the fact that the soloist and HA160 would sound alike....

i doubt they'd sound anything alike.

the HA-160 is known to be a poor match with many headphones and theres mixed reviews of it. i always heard bright, harsh, bassy, and underpowered as some of the words used to describe it.

the soloist however, sounds absolutely fantastic and is one of the best SS amps available in its price range.

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #6,823 of 9,207

Why did you not like it?

The HA-160 was just not focused enough with the headphones it was praised here to pair well with. The HA-160 sounded like an amp that was trying to impress me with all aspects of sound but only halfway, it was just a mixed bag. 

The Soloist and HA-160 won't sound very similar if you have brief hearing comparison's between the two, but if you listen to both for a little longer you can definitely go point at the Soloist and say "hey this bit sounds like the HA-160 but improved". This was definitely the case with a lot of users here that went from the HA-160 to the Soloist.

i doubt they'd sound anything alike.

the HA-160 is known to be a poor match with many headphones and theres mixed reviews of it. i always heard bright, harsh, bassy, and underpowered as some of the words used to describe it.

the soloist however, sounds absolutely fantastic and is one of the best SS amps available in its price range.

They have the same sound signature but the Soloist is a step or two ahead of it. Funny I never saw mixed reviews here of it, especially not in the old LCD2's thread where people endlessly raved about how a HA-160 + LCD2 (non angled) is on par with the HD800's, those impression/posts were a good laugh.

The Soloist one of the best SS amps in it's price range? 
Let me guess you took that out of Soludes book didn't cha?

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #6,824 of 9,207
  The HA-160 was just not focused enough with the headphones it was praised here to pair well with. The HA-160 sounded like an amp that was trying to impress me with all aspects of sound but only halfway, it was just a mixed bag. 

The Soloist and HA-160 won't sound very similar if you have brief hearing comparison's between the two, but if you listen to both for a little longer you can definitely go point at the Soloist and say "hey this bit sounds like the HA-160 but improved". This was definitely the case with a lot of users here that went from the HA-160 to the Soloist.

They have the same sound signature but the Soloist is a step or two ahead of it. Funny I never saw mixed reviews here of it, especially not in the old LCD2's thread where people endlessly raved about how a HA-160 + LCD2 (non angled) is on par with the HD800's, those impression/posts were a good laugh.

The Soloist one of the best SS amps in it's price range? 
Let me guess you took that out of Soludes book didn't cha?

actually i didn't 
tongue_smile.gif

but i think it is, i've heard it and i love how it pairs with LCD-2.

i know people like HA-160 with LCD-2 as well, but i know ive heard terrible things about it pairing with HD 800/T1. and ppl still say it lacks power for some of the planars. so thats mostly the reviews i've heard.

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #6,825 of 9,207
Well in reference to what I was originally saying about the praise the HA-160 originally received was being a godfather pairing with the LCD2's nothing else. I didn't find this the case and so same many other experienced posters/owners.

The Soloist is ok but it still doesn't depreciate the sounding flaws of the LCD2's to the extent the Mojo does which IMHO I'd consider an excellent amp for the LCD2's and HD650's.

But it's ok to agree to disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back