Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 31, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #6,601 of 9,207
Quote:
So you are saying $1060 for everything or just the cables?

I mean I might be wrong but its like $100 per board plus about $100 for the psu and another $100 for the enclosure and you can mill it yourself so about $400.  I guess if you include the jacks and cables and everything else it would come to about $500.  ya your right never mind.  

That's also a very basic 2 channel based off the prices from GJA. Don't forget you'd need a pot which is not very expensive but adds up to the cost overall. Not to mention if you're going DIY the whole point is not skimp out on quality just because you have a small budget to begin with (but also saving money compared to retail), most would also opt for a better transformer.

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #6,602 of 9,207
So you are saying $1060 for everything or just the cables?

Everything, or at least was. I upset him by asking for a second opinion. As usual I **** something good up. Ah well, I guess I'll stick to my current setup.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #6,603 of 9,207
Hi, I've just read about last 50 posts but I haven't found any amp that could fulfill my requirements. I'm looking for the amp that can  and boost the sub and lower bass spectrum of LCD-2's Rev2. I primarily need to hear what is going on between 40-120Hz as with a . I'll be glad for any recommendations between $500-1000.
Thanks.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #6,604 of 9,207
  Hi, I've just read about last 50 posts but I haven't found any amp that could fulfill my requirements. I'm looking for the amp that can  and boost the sub and lower bass spectrum of LCD-2's Rev2. I primarily need to hear what is going on between 40-120Hz as with a . I'll be glad for any recommendations between $500-1000.
Thanks.

If the boosted bass is a listening preference, you may want to find another set of headphones. If you need to enhance the bass for technical reasons and aren't concerned with the overall musicality of the headphones, then EQ may be the solution. I (thankfully) don't know of any good amplifiers that are going to bloat the LCD2 bass and sub-bass.

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #6,608 of 9,207
  Yes I have them for a few days and I quite like the low end they are able to reproduce but I feel I need it just a bit more emphasized and hear all its detail a bit more closely. 

That's the nature of the LCD2s. The bass and sub-bass are there when needed, but aren't going to thump you on every beat like bass-head headphones. I think EQ is tough to do without messing up the overall sound, but you should try it and see if it does the job for you.  What amp have you got now?

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #6,609 of 9,207
I've got Apogee Duet 2 which I quite like so far but actually I think I need something more powerful, mainly to focus on the low end as I want to use LCD2's also for the technical reasons and I would prefer to buy a better amp that will be more powerful and can reveals more details in low end than just to use EQ. I found the sound character of LCD2's almost ideal for all my requirements, and just need to tune this low to make it perfect for me.

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #6,610 of 9,207
I'm currently using a Mjolnir with my LCD2s and I think it's a great match. Very powerful--it brings a lot of resolution, detail, and dynamics to the LCD2 sound. However, it doesn't add anything beyond accuracy to the bass and sub-bass.  A good DAC might help you get where you want to go. I find low end DACS to be more congested--they can blur fine details in music. If you A-B with a better DAC, you hear how it better resolves and reproduces the music. Again, not more bass, but more detail across the spectrum.

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #6,612 of 9,207
You could try the Lyr with the LCD -2. It brings the tube warmth to the LCD -2 but I'm not sure whether you can "magnify" the lower end of these headphones. I use the Amarra player on my MacBook Air instead of iTunes. Amarra has an EQ setting called Audeze -LCD 2. I do get a boost when using that setting but I generally don't EQ.

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #6,613 of 9,207
  I've got Apogee Duet 2 which I quite like so far but actually I think I need something more powerful, mainly to focus on the low end as I want to use LCD2's also for the technical reasons and I would prefer to buy a better amp that will be more powerful and can reveals more details in low end than just to use EQ. I found the sound character of LCD2's almost ideal for all my requirements, and just need to tune this low to make it perfect for me.

Get yourself a vintage/good modern day receiver or integrated amp with bass dials. You will have what you're looking for then.

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #6,614 of 9,207
Burson Conductor with Audiophilleo 2. Great DAC and amp on its own but AP2 takes everything up a notch or two.

True. I added an Audiophilleo2 with PurePower to my NAD M51 and it made a huge improvment in the sound. Especially in the bass region (quality and quantity).

BTW, if you can find a Bryston BHA-1 used, you will be very, very happy with LCD-2.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #6,615 of 9,207

Burson Conductor with Audiophilleo 2. Great DAC and amp on its own but AP2 takes everything up a notch or two.

True. I added an Audiophilleo2 with PurePower to my NAD M51 and it made a huge improvment in the sound. Especially in the bass region (quality and quantity).

BTW, if you can find a Bryston BHA-1 used, you will be very, very happy with LCD-2.

They are showing up on Audiogon for under $1100 USD now pretty regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back