Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 27, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #6,451 of 9,207
The Consonance M10S tube amp sounds very good with the LCD-2's. The amp sells for around $1100. Canadian. It is switchable from triode to ultra linear mode at the flip of a switch. ( the amp needs to be turned off for about 5 mins, prior to switching ) and runs at 12.5 watts in ultra linear, and 8 watts in triode mode. It's an El34 based amp but I'm told you can use KT88's by rebiasing the amp. This is a very smooth sounding amp that's very musical. I actually prefer it to the Yulong A-18 which is also a great match to the LCD2's. I think a lot of the younger crowd may prefer the A18 as its a little more analytical and detailed than the M10S, but the latter is more musical and analog sounding in my opinion. :)

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #6,452 of 9,207
Both Audeze phones sound awesome with the Mjolnir/Gungnir IMHO. For the capital outlay to acquire that stack really hard to beat them with the 2r2s and the 3s. However that is not to say that the HeadAmp GS-X MkII would not be just phenomenal with either as well. In my experience the Schiit stack was (is) a really synergistic set to go with the 2r2s or LCD3 phones. Great value for the money.

+1. And, IMHO, the HE 500 as well.

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #6,453 of 9,207
I understand this is the LCD 2 amp thread but do you guys have recommendations for the best DAC for $200 or lower?  I'm 99% sure I'll be getting the Lake People G103 as my amp and I would be using that amp and what ever dac I can get for the money with HD600s I own right now if that means anything. Thanks.

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #6,454 of 9,207
The Schiit Modi is a good option, so is the O2.  Or if you are into DIY the Gamma 1 or Gamma 2 are also really good dacs.  

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #6,457 of 9,207
Quote:
Anyone managed to compair one or more of these with a lcd2:
Centrance dacmini
Woo audio wa7
Burson soloist
Schiit mjolnir
Wa6se

yeah. i did WA6-SE vs. Soloist.

both where great with LCD-2 and i can't really say one is better than the other. the WA6-SE is a little warmer cause of that tube sound, the Soloist is more defined, a little faster still, and tighter cause its an SS amp.

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #6,458 of 9,207
yeah. i did WA6-SE vs. Soloist.

both where great with LCD-2 and i can't really say one is better than the other. the WA6-SE is a little warmer cause of that tube sound, the Soloist is more defined, a little faster still, and tighter cause its an SS amp.

+1
That's correct, but depending on the tube, 6se can have more extension on its treble.
The mids of 6se always warmer than soloist.
Sound stage width about the same (using sophia, while 596 slightly smaller) and depth is better on soloist.

Soloist a little faster if 6se using sophia, but with 596, it's about the same.
Regardless the tube, imaging and resolution on soloist is slightly better than 6se, imo.
But doesn't mean that 6se imaging and resolution is poor though, it's quite good.
It's better than my old v100, v200 (belong to a friend) and wa7 (based on my poor audio memory from 10-15 min audition =) )

Mjolnir is the fastest I guess (but never heard dacmini).
Imo, if lcd2 is the only phone, mjolnir is my pick (provided don't mind going balance).
But if other phone involve, 6se or soloist is better (from rs1i, hd800 or th900), imo of course.

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #6,459 of 9,207
Quote:
+1
That's correct, but depending on the tube, 6se can have more extension on its treble.
The mids of 6se always warmer than soloist.
Sound stage width about the same (using sophia, while 596 slightly smaller) and depth is better on soloist.

Soloist a little faster if 6se using sophia, but with 596, it's about the same.
Regardless the tube, imaging and resolution on soloist is slightly better than 6se, imo.
But doesn't mean that 6se imaging and resolution is poor though, it's quite good.
It's better than my old v100, v200 (belong to a friend) and wa7 (based on my poor audio memory from 10-15 min audition =) )

Mjolnir is the fastest I guess (but never heard dacmini).
Imo, if lcd2 is the only phone, mjolnir is my pick (provided don't mind going balance).
But if other phone involve, 6se or soloist is better (from rs1i, hd800 or th900), imo of course.

596, the 6SE sounds very SS like, more than the big rectifier tube would suggest. 

besides the audeze, i really like how grados and fostex/denon pair with WA6-SE (th-900, d2k,d7k) as well. i also liked pairing with the AKGs and the 300 ohm senns.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #6,463 of 9,207
Thanks DG. I've been using and enjoying the Violectric stack for the past few weeks but I decided that I have too much audio equipment lying around my house so a 3-in-1 like the Conductor fits my needs perfectly. There will be a Violectric 200, a Beyerdynamic T1 and an LCD-2 going up for sale in the coming weeks. With the proceeds I'll buy the LCD-3 and a decent USB interface and then I'm done with headphone obsessing - for a while anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back