Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #6,422 of 9,207
Quote:
I tried haha. Not very good but will try again some other time. Had the headphones there for a photo with the flash on and it doesn't look very good without the flash but oh well:

Nice looking buffalo you got therre..
L3000.gif

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #6,423 of 9,207
Quote:

Nice looking buffalo you got therre..
L3000.gif

It sure is, got if off Fallen Angel (you might be able to make out that name on the faceplate) a little while back and can't wait to try it balanced with the MKVI+ once I get a balanced headphone cable (should be within 3 weeks from now). 

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #6,424 of 9,207
I recently sold my WA6SE which I had for about 11 mths.
The sound with my LCD2.2 + Q cable was decent.
I am sure it could be a lot better if I had upgraded the stock tubes but I just didn’t get down to it.

For the interim, I am using the LCD2 with my secondary amp O2 + ODAC.
I am actually very impressed with it to begin with.

In the search for a SS amp, I started with V200 and Soloist which are highly recommended in this thread.

I purchased a used V200.
The midrange sounded full and had very good separation, better than the WA6SE with stock tube.
Bass was deep and controlled, but I did feel like it was over powering the mids a little.
What I found unacceptable was the highs.  There was no sense of air at all and it sounded dull.
I am tempted to say that details were lost but this perception could be due to the lack of high freq.
After spending a few long nights with it, I decided it was not for me and sold it within a week of owning it.
In my opinion, it is a poor match with the LCD2.

Moving on I had the opportunity to audition the Soloist at home for about an hour.
The Soloist fared better than the V200 in the highs.
Overall it sounded clean and certainly more balanced compared to the V200.
I am not too sure if the stepped volume control was an advantage.
On some tracks, I found the sweet spot to be between steps.
Overall, I was not impressed by the performance and am certain that I wouldn’t fork out 1KUS$ for it.

Comparing these two amps with the O2 + ODAC, I prefer the O2.
I am not saying that O2 is better than V200 or Soloist.
But IMO, it is a better match with LCD2.

I found that the V200 and Soloists were too focused on the low freqs LCD2.
It sounds as if the driver of the LCD2 were too busy producing bass, hence forgoing the highs.
The O2 sounds more realistic, accurate, faster, more energetic and have better sense of airiness.
As if the drivers could breathe better, as opposed to being overwhelmed by the need to produce lots of bass.
Bass is taut but not as a deep.  In terms of quantity, it is about right and does not interfere with the rest of the freq.

Having said all that, if I still had my HD800, I would imagine pairing it with the O2 to be disastrous.
Probably sounds shrill and thin.  V200 would likely be a better match with the HD800.

In closing, I was a little disappointed with the results of V200 and Soloist.
The O2 really did surprised me.

The search continues…

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #6,425 of 9,207
I recently sold my WA6SE which I had for about 11 mths.
The sound with my LCD2.2 + Q cable was decent.
I am sure it could be a lot better if I had upgraded the stock tubes but I just didn’t get down to it.

For the interim, I am using the LCD2 with my secondary amp O2 + ODAC.
I am actually very impressed with it to begin with.

In the search for a SS amp, I started with V200 and Soloist which are highly recommended in this thread.

I purchased a used V200.
The midrange sounded full and had very good separation, better than the WA6SE with stock tube.
Bass was deep and controlled, but I did feel like it was over powering the mids a little.
What I found unacceptable was the highs.  There was no sense of air at all and it sounded dull.
I am tempted to say that details were lost but this perception could be due to the lack of high freq.
After spending a few long nights with it, I decided it was not for me and sold it within a week of owning it.
In my opinion, it is a poor match with the LCD2.

Moving on I had the opportunity to audition the Soloist at home for about an hour.
The Soloist fared better than the V200 in the highs.
Overall it sounded clean and certainly more balanced compared to the V200.
I am not too sure if the stepped volume control was an advantage.
On some tracks, I found the sweet spot to be between steps.
Overall, I was not impressed by the performance and am certain that I wouldn’t fork out 1KUS$ for it.

Comparing these two amps with the O2 + ODAC, I prefer the O2.
I am not saying that O2 is better than V200 or Soloist.
But IMO, it is a better match with LCD2.

I found that the V200 and Soloists were too focused on the low freqs LCD2.
It sounds as if the driver of the LCD2 were too busy producing bass, hence forgoing the highs.
The O2 sounds more realistic, accurate, faster, more energetic and have better sense of airiness.
As if the drivers could breathe better, as opposed to being overwhelmed by the need to produce lots of bass.
Bass is taut but not as a deep.  In terms of quantity, it is about right and does not interfere with the rest of the freq.

Having said all that, if I still had my HD800, I would imagine pairing it with the O2 to be disastrous.
Probably sounds shrill and thin.  V200 would likely be a better match with the HD800.

In closing, I was a little disappointed with the results of V200 and Soloist.
The O2 really did surprised me.

The search continues…

I'm curious regarding the source that being used for all these amp (6SE, v200 and soloist)...
IMO, if these amp + LCD2 not agreeable with you, It's time to find other headphone (or source)

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #6,426 of 9,207
I would give anything to get to try the Little Dot MKVI+ with my LCD2's. I really do enjoy my Soloist SL, but the prospect of wider/deeper soundstage and more oomph really is appealing. Plus the looks of that amp are just awesome.

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #6,427 of 9,207
Quote:
IMO, if these amp + LCD2 not agreeable with you, It's time to find other headphone.

+1

LCD-2 sound great on Soloist and WA6-SE (with mighty 596 tube)

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #6,428 of 9,207
I'm curious regarding the source that being used for all these amp (6SE, v200 and soloist)...
IMO, if these amp + LCD2 not agreeable with you, It's time to find other headphone (or source)

Agree that choice of DAC can make a difference here. I originally was using the Soloist with a CIAudio VDA-2 DAC with dual pcm1794 chips (fed through audio-gd DI v3 USB converter) - the sound was a bit boring and there was a mid bass hump. Sound wasn't that bad but I was about to give up on the combo and get a decware taboo. My Yulong DA8 with sabre chip then arrived and now I have no more desire to upgrade. While the VDA-2 is a nice, smooth, analog sounding DAC, the DA8 is livelier, even more detailed in the highs (without harshness whatsoever) and has less mid bass emphasis. The Soloist is a pretty transparent amp which allows one to hear these differences. Good match IMHO with the LCD-2.3s. (Note that this is through the DA8s own amanero combo384 USB implementation.)

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #6,430 of 9,207

You are right, I should sell the LCD2 immediately.
Oh wait, what am I going to do with my O2 + ODAC?
Among all the headphones in the world, the only headphone that can be used with the O2 is the LCD2.
Guess I'll be keeping it after all...

The DAC i used is the ODAC, which is probably too good to be true?

Also, a turntable setup:
Roksan Radius 5 w/ Nima arm (US$2000)
Shure M97xE (US$70) with Jico SAS (US$167)
Graham Slee Era Gold V with PSU1 (US$1000)
All sitting on a Solid Steel 6.3 rack (US$1000)

No, ODAC sounds better to my ears.

Take it easy man... its just my opinion.

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #6,431 of 9,207
You are right, I should sell the LCD2 immediately.
Oh wait, what am I going to do with my O2 + ODAC?
Among all the headphones in the world, the only headphone that can be used with the O2 is the LCD2.
Guess I'll be keeping it after all...

The DAC i used is the ODAC, which is probably too good to be true?

Also, a turntable setup:
Roksan Radius 5 w/ Nima arm (US$2000)
Shure M97xE (US$70) with Jico SAS (US$167)
Graham Slee Era Gold V with PSU1 (US$1000)
All sitting on a Solid Steel 6.3 rack (US$1000)

No, ODAC sounds better to my ears.

Take it easy man... its just my opinion.

Its your SS rack that's the culprit man, I know it.

In all seriousness, I think he just means that the V200 and Soloist are said to be good pairings with the LCD2s by many so perhaps another headphone may suit your tastes better. While most of us in this thread are very fond of our LCD2s, we can understand that the sound wouldn't be for everyone.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #6,432 of 9,207
It might not be as popular as the famous Lyr/160/V200 combination. But after some intense listening I'd like to recommend the Yulong Sabre A18. I've used Burson 160, Violectric V200, but not the Schiit Lyr (Only the V200 of those were paired with the LCD-2), and I definately think that the A18 sticks out by quite a great margin.

The yulong a18 is awesome paired with the lcd2 and I find the soundstage superb.

Going directly from the V200 to the A18 was a great decision IMO. They both share the same analogue warm signature with a wonderfully detailed bass, but to my ears it felt that the A18 was a little more lush and was a bit more spacious than the V200. Some have said that there's a noise floor with very sensitive in-ears, but with the LCD-2 the A18 is dead silent even at max volume. I quite like the thick and lush sound that the A18 provides, and I definately can sense a slight bump in soundstage as well. To me, it's not the intimate character of the V200, but a more natural and smooth variant. There's still a lot of detail, and the sound just seems more open while still retaining its lushness and body.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #6,433 of 9,207
It came a Burson The Conductor on the used market which I bought as I thought the price was nearly irresistible
Cant wait to see how it is with LCD2's
 I was actually rooting towards schiit mjolnir, but I think I might wait till they release their statement amp! 

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #6,434 of 9,207
The Conductor should be good. I looked around for one secondhand prior to getting the Violectric stack but couldn't find any at a reasonable price. Another amp which is supposed to be great with the LCD-2 is the NJC Monitor II - although I think it's only available to British buyers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back