Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 12, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #6,316 of 9,207
Hi all, I would like to hear some opinion. Burson Conductor may be out of my budget and I would like to know what is the second preferred option to drive LCD-2. Not going for Conductor SL since there is no dac out.

I narrow down to a few which were popular for LCD-2:
(1) Burson HA-160D
(2) Burson Soloist + entry level dac 
(3) Woo Audio WA7
(4) Centrance Dacmini CX

My concern for (2) is the synergy of dac due to different brands.

Cheers

Jun 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #6,317 of 9,207
Quote:
Hi all, I would like to hear some opinion. Burson Conductor may be out of my budget and I would like to know what is the second preferred option to drive LCD-2. Not going for Conductor SL since there is no dac out.

I narrow down to a few which were popular for LCD-2:
(1) Burson HA-160D
(2) Burson Soloist + entry level dac 
(3) Woo Audio WA7
(4) Centrance Dacmini CX

My concern for (2) is the synergy of dac due to different brands.

Cheers

DAC and Amp synergy not so much exists just a matter of sound matching. Bright/neutral amp + neutral DAC, you always want the DAC to be as neutral as possible, hearing is believing. Synergy between amp's and headphones make the night and day difference. 

For the LCD2's, the Soloist is good (not my favourite). The bright or slight neutrality of the Soloist cancels out or balances the laid back tonality of the LCD2's. A good entry level DAC would either be the Schiit Modi or the ODAC. Both are neutral sounding and good for the value with the ODAC bit more expensive.

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #6,318 of 9,207
Not seeing as selections for use with LCD2s: the Schiit Gungnir dac and Mjolnir amp. Not knowing what budget is but still these two components are just awesome with the LCDs. I will be using them with my new 3s when I get them. Would most definitely recommend at least thinking about these components if they fit in the budget.

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #6,319 of 9,207
Quote:
DAC and Amp synergy not so much exists just a matter of sound matching. Bright/neutral amp + neutral DAC, you always want the DAC to be as neutral as possible, hearing is believing. Synergy between amp's and headphones make the night and day difference. 

For the LCD2's, the Soloist is good (not my favourite). The bright or slight neutrality of the Soloist cancels out or balances the laid back tonality of the LCD2's. A good entry level DAC would either be the Schiit Modi or the ODAC. Both are neutral sounding and good for the value with the ODAC bit more expensive.

Thanks for sharing. I'm considering pairing Soloist with Modi for a start. Then upgrade the dac at a later stage. I will look into odac too. 
Quote:
Not seeing as selections for use with LCD2s: the Schiit Gungnir dac and Mjolnir amp. Not knowing what budget is but still these two components are just awesome with the LCDs. I will be using them with my new 3s when I get them. Would most definitely recommend at least thinking about these components if they fit in the budget.

I took them off my list when I got a quote from my local direct dealer. I am not sure how they compute the price, but the total price of both actually cost more than Conductor. And the difference is pretty big, which I can get a good cable for my LCD-2. I even find Modi expensive. But all this is due to tax and import fees.

I find the price of Burson and Woo Audio quite reasonable after tax and import fees. Nevertheless, I read great comments on Gungnir and Mjolnir. Good stuff.

Thanks for the opinion.

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #6,320 of 9,207
Hello everyone,
I just got a pair of Audeze's and am in need a recommendation for a DAC and amp.  I currently have a Gamma 2 and Yamaha A-S500 (speaker amp) and was looking to upgrade.  I was looking to spend around $600 for each.  I do not mind buying used or demo gear.  I also don't mind a balanced system but would need to have single ended outputs and inputs as well.  
I was looking into the Bifrost + Lyr  also about Meier Audio Classic + Daccord.
Thanks in advance 
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #6,321 of 9,207
You'd be downgrading if those Yamaha's internal's are good. 

Try through the headphone out or speaker taps. Personally I'd avoid the Lyr for the LCD2's because it will smear the music due to the already warm/laid back/dark sound sig of the LCD2's. What you need is something that can drive the LCD2's with authority, an amp that is either neutral or bright sounding will pair with the LCD2's wonderfully. Powering them with tubes is the last thing you'd want to do unless you like an extremely coloured warm flabby sound.

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #6,322 of 9,207
The Yamaha is quite good but I feel like I could find something better as and also it is very inconvenient for me to plug my headphones into it.  But I definitely feel like I could do better on the synergy as well as the DAC as well. Alright so no Lyr then do you have any recommendations?

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #6,324 of 9,207
It would be great if this thread had a poll... Or perhaps someone wants to begin another thread with a poll... Or perhaps there should be a feature where you can view the most popular/highly rated headphones and then follow a link to a page where there is a list of the most highly recommended amplifiers for those headphones 
size]
 Or has that already been made? So many ideas and questions haha.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #6,325 of 9,207
There was a thread like that but not sure where it went probably locked. Too many variables to distinguish what amp's every LCD2/3 owner thinks is best of the said headphones, then you add in things such as favouritism and bias.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #6,326 of 9,207
Quote:
There was a thread like that but not sure where it went probably locked. Too many variables to distinguish what amp's every LCD2/3 owner thinks is best of the said headphones, then you add in things such as favouritism and bias.

This.  What ever amp someone ownes is the best amp with said headphones..

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #6,329 of 9,207

Users who are viewing this thread

Back