Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
May 30, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #6,241 of 9,207
Or Burson Conductor...

May 30, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #6,243 of 9,207
I think you're onto it.  I know next to nothing about those giant mixing boards they use in recording studios, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that there's a discrete pre-amp for each channel.  But that hunch is purely analog in thinking.  I would think that these days, all the mixing is done in the digital domain, but again, I'm completely clueless.  Somehow, they get the job done better than the toys I've played with.

Mike
[/qu

May 30, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #6,244 of 9,207
Quote:
Um... why not go for Mjolnir + Gungnir, if your budget is up to 1.5k?

Quote:
Get the Mjolnir at least.  Great with the LCDs..

Quote:
Or Burson Conductor...

Quote:
For the 2s, get a good amp..ie the Soloist. Also, if you have the budget, get the Schiit stack. You can't go wrong.

Quote:

Many thanks for the feedback. Is my fault that I forgotten to indicate SGD for my budget, but no worries. I am open to hear about other brands or models. I'll do some search on those mention and hopefully I can work within my constraint.

Thanks again. Cheers! 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #6,245 of 9,207

I do not know your sound preference so it is hard to know what to recommend. The LCD2 has a very coherent sound, excellent bass, smooth mid range with very tight focus. These headphones also have distinctive flaws: small soundstage, not the last words in transparency and an overall dark character to the sound that many love and some hate.

My personal preference for amps under $1500 that have listened to with the LCD2 for at least 25-50 hours.
Vioelectric V200 ($900)
Bryston BHA-1 ($1300)
Schiit Mjolnir ($750)
RWA Corvina($1,100 discounted)

If you can afford it, do replace the cable with OCC silver cable with XLR 4-pin termination for use with balanced amp (for best impact) and an adaptor tail to 1/4" plug.

Have fun!

May 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #6,246 of 9,207
Regarding EQ... if you hear distortion when EQing the sound by a few dbs, it means your EQ’s not up for it. A correct EQ functions just like any resistor does (which any system has plenty of in the electric path) when applying negative dbs. Yes, recording engineers use EQs. So do radio stations, live performance "sound guys"/DJs and technicians... Theoretically, when an engineer voices an amp, they tweak the sound practically the same way an equalizer does - only with different components, signal path, etc.

And if you have a Mac by the way you have a pro-level 31 band EQ built in the system. You only need the right app that can access it (like Logic - or for a lot cheaper Vox).

Now if you will excuse me, I will go and put on my fire retardant suit...

May 31, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #6,248 of 9,207
May 31, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #6,249 of 9,207
Thanks for this Francoy!

There's hope after all!  

My daughter has a Macbook Pro. I'll see if I can't experiment with it sometime soon.

Mike

Quote:
Regarding EQ... if you hear distortion when EQing the sound by a few dbs, it means your EQ’s not up for it. A correct EQ functions just like any resistor does (which any system has plenty of in the electric path) when applying negative dbs. Yes, recording engineers use EQs. So do radio stations, live performance "sound guys"/DJs and technicians... Theoretically, when an engineer voices an amp, they tweak the sound practically the same way an equalizer does - only with different components, signal path, etc.

And if you have a Mac by the way you have a pro-level 31 band EQ built in the system. You only need the right app that can access it (like Logic - or for a lot cheaper Vox).

Now if you will excuse me, I will go and put on my fire retardant suit...

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #6,250 of 9,207
Hey everyone. I'm very interested in purchasing the LCD-2 rev 2 (not just yet though as I need to sell a few things to afford them). I compared them to my DT880 600ohm at a local headphone store and to a pair of T1 all powered by a Schiit Modi (I know, not the best) and a Bryston BHA-1. I have decided I do not like the T1 (soundstage is just too huge for my liking, much larger than DT880). The LCD-2 sounded fantastic out of the single ended output of the BHA-1, but I just wish the soundstage was that little bit wider. Perhaps going balanced would fix this or another amplifier would be better for my tastes (although I have read the BHA-1 is amazing with the LCD-2, so perhaps the LCD-2 just don't have the soundstage I am after, but pretty much everything else is what I want). I plan on going there soon with my balanced Buffalo II DAC (should arrive by the end of the week I hope), but won't be trying the BHA-1 again (due to the fact I could never afford it). I am more in the price range of $700-$1000 for an amplifier. I can try my DAC with the LCD-2 on a number of amplifiers (must have balanced in and out, of course, as I want to take full advantage of my DAC), including the Schiit Mjolnir, Audio-GD NFB-6 (simply because it leaves me with plenty of money for good XLR cables and a good LCD-2 cable, although if the other amps are significantly better, I will definitely try to stretch for them) as well as the Woo Audio 2 (want to know how LCD-2 sounds on tubes, even though it is out of my price range). Would you recommend I try out any other amplifiers? I will be going to this store again: http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/ So would any of you recommend I try out any other amplifiers (that are listed on the website), or have I pretty much got everything sorted out? Cheers.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #6,251 of 9,207
Quote:
Hey everyone. I'm very interested in purchasing the LCD-2 rev 2 (not just yet though as I need to sell a few things to afford them). I compared them to my DT880 600ohm at a local headphone store and to a pair of T1 all powered by a Schiit Modi (I know, not the best) and a Bryston BHA-1. I have decided I do not like the T1 (soundstage is just too huge for my liking, much larger than DT880). The LCD-2 sounded fantastic out of the single ended output of the BHA-1, but I just wish the soundstage was that little bit wider. Perhaps going balanced would fix this or another amplifier would be better for my tastes (although I have read the BHA-1 is amazing with the LCD-2, so perhaps the LCD-2 just don't have the soundstage I am after, but pretty much everything else is what I want). I plan on going there soon with my balanced Buffalo II DAC (should arrive by the end of the week I hope), but won't be trying the BHA-1 again (due to the fact I could never afford it). I am more in the price range of $700-$1000 for an amplifier. I can try my DAC with the LCD-2 on a number of amplifiers (must have balanced in and out, of course, as I want to take full advantage of my DAC), including the Schiit Mjolnir, Audio-GD NFB-6 (simply because it leaves me with plenty of money for good XLR cables and a good LCD-2 cable, although if the other amps are significantly better, I will definitely try to stretch for them) as well as the Woo Audio 2 (want to know how LCD-2 sounds on tubes, even though it is out of my price range). Would you recommend I try out any other amplifiers? I will be going to this store again: http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/ So would any of you recommend I try out any other amplifiers (that are listed on the website), or have I pretty much got everything sorted out? Cheers.

Among the solid state amps I've tried I found the Yulong A18 to have the best soundstage. It can be run balanced, but I am not sure about it being truly balanced judging by the posts in the review thread.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #6,253 of 9,207
Quote:
Among the solid state amps I've tried I found the Yulong A18 to have the best soundstage. It can be run balanced, but I am not sure about it being truly balanced judging by the posts in the review thread.

The great thing about the A18 is that it's not too expensive, but I would definitely have to try it out before purchasing it. I don't know if Addicted to Audio have any plans to stock Yulong products. 

Quote:
George should have the Mjonir in so not sure, I'd personally call it end game with the LCD2's and that amp. Didn't know A2A had the BHA-01 in. 

Yes, the Mjolnir was there, I saw it, but my aim for today was to decide if I enjoyed the overall sound signature of the LCD-2, and I do. That and I was reserving balanced testing until I get my Buffalo II to bring in. The BHA-1 was just sitting there on the desk where I sat down and I knew it was a great amp (had no idea how it was praised with the LCD-2 as I didn't look up on it before I got there). So the Mjolnir pairs that well with the LCD-2, huh? I will definitely have to give it a go. I'm thinking that while I would love to own another tube amp, it just won't be the best combination with the LCD-2 for my tastes, especially since I wanted a bit more SS sound out of the LCD-2 even with the BHA-1, which, from what I've read, is far from tube sounding. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #6,254 of 9,207
Mjolnir is SS :)

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #6,255 of 9,207
Quote:
Mjolnir is SS :)

I know :) Perhaps my grammar isn't the best if I came off as saying it's tube 
size]
 Or are you saying I should like it since it is SS? Hopefully I find at least one amp that I want to save up for. I suppose the cost of the amp will affect my decision of whether to buy the LCD-2.2 first or the amplifier. I still have to sell all my stuff in the classifieds to afford even one 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back