Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
May 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #6,031 of 9,207
Thanks a ton for the info, once again! I have been loving these things run out of my 10 year-old Pioneer receiver. I was worried about a loss of soundstage coming from the Q701 but the LCD-2 have this awesome, pinpoint soundstage that makes orchestral recordings feel close, intimate, and exciting (something the Q701 had difficulty with). For now, I'm simply going to enjoy these fantastically made cans. This is all great to know for the future though!

Thanks again!

May 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #6,032 of 9,207
Quote:

Thanks!   Your descriptions of the T1 have me thinking......

How would you compare/contrast them to your LCDs?

T1 is bright, much brighter than LCD-2s. its not as full sounding, its faster with better transients, better soundstage/imaging, the bass in punchy and tight but not as clean and not as strong as LCD-2. the sub-bass seems to be better than LCD-2 (quantity not quality), has a nice full sounding decay but it isn't a strong sub-bass, you can hear it, but its not overwhelming. its a very nice bass presentation i really enjoy. still the T1 is on the leaner side, its much more detailed than LCD-2. they're basically opposites. the T1 has a slight V shaped response, the mids can be slightly recessed with the wrong amp/tubes. sounds great paired with WA2 or WA6-SE (WA6-SE not as good though, wider soundstage and more controlled sounding, but brighter and leaner midrange).

i prefer T1 to LCD-2, but both are great headphones. 

May 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #6,034 of 9,207
I was a little suspicious... It would be interesting to know for sure how much of it is made in Australia.. I sent an email last year to Burson and they claimed that it was made in Australia. Anyone know any different?

May 6, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #6,037 of 9,207
Quote:
Yeah I've heard the entire Burson line before, it's not bad. But I didn't know Burson was made in Aus till like late year. Surprisingly.

Where have you been man :)

When ordered my amp, the origin place was from Australia. (Derrimut) seems like they have the factory somewhere in Victoria. 

May 7, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #6,038 of 9,207
Quote:

T1 is bright, much brighter than LCD-2s. its not as full sounding, its faster with better transients, better soundstage/imaging, the bass in punchy and tight but not as clean and not as strong as LCD-2. the sub-bass seems to be better than LCD-2 (quantity not quality), has a nice full sounding decay but it isn't a strong sub-bass, you can hear it, but its not overwhelming. its a very nice bass presentation i really enjoy. still the T1 is on the leaner side, its much more detailed than LCD-2. they're basically opposites. the T1 has a slight V shaped response, the mids can be slightly recessed with the wrong amp/tubes. sounds great paired with WA2 or WA6-SE (WA6-SE not as good though, wider soundstage and more controlled sounding, but brighter and leaner midrange).

i prefer T1 to LCD-2, but both are great headphones. 

Thanks for the detailed response.  I'll have to locate a pair of T1s to check out!

May 7, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #6,039 of 9,207
Quote:

Where have you been man :)

When ordered my amp, the origin place was from Australia. (Derrimut) seems like they have the factory somewhere in Victoria. 

DERRIMUT? NO WAY?. I live like 20 minutes away from there and know the area very very well. Might go to the factory someday and buy a Burson at manufacturers price!

May 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #6,040 of 9,207
Quote:
You could also try the ASUS Xonar Essence One. I think it's fairly good with the LCD 2's.

This is not a bad stopgap move, especially if your wallet is screaming about the recent LCD-2 purchase.  The amplifier section of the Xonar is a bit dry sounding, but pretty clean.  Later you can buy a nicer amplifier and use the Xonar as a DAC until you can afford to get a nicer DAC.  Actually, you have to spend quite a bit to beat the DAC in the Xonar Essence One.  I'd get the Xonar and feed the stereo line output into your Pioneer receiver.  Some of those 70's era Japanese receivers can sound DARN good.  Several threads on this site about them.

HTH!

May 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #6,041 of 9,207
Quote:

This is not a bad stopgap move, especially if your wallet is screaming about the recent LCD-2 purchase.  The amplifier section of the Xonar is a bit dry sounding, but pretty clean.  Later you can buy a nicer amplifier and use the Xonar as a DAC until you can afford to get a nicer DAC.  Actually, you have to spend quite a bit to beat the DAC in the Xonar Essence One.  I'd get the Xonar and feed the stereo line output into your Pioneer receiver.  Some of those 70's era Japanese receivers can sound DARN good.  Several threads on this site about them.

HTH!

Or alternatively a Yulong D100 which costs almost as much as Essence One and has an extremely good DAC. Its built-in amplifier is also very good, but I can't compare it exactly to the one on Essence One. But still, it drives the LCD-2 fairly well.

May 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #6,042 of 9,207
Quote:
I couldn't find the amp recommendation thread so could you guys give me one? Preferably something under $500 that I could run out of my 4 year old MacBook pro to the LCD-2.2. I'm fairly new to using amps since the Pro 900 never really needed one to satisfy me. I've been using an old Pioneer receiver to drive the AKG Q701 (works fairly well considering I run a typical 1/8" stereo jack from my computer to the receiver) but I kind of want to pamper the LCD-2 as its always been a dream headphone for me--and in a few days it will be a reality!

A short description of what I'd need to make the connections from computer>amp>headphones would be much appreciated as well!

Thanks for the info!

-an amp/headphone newb

I know it’s $300 above your desired price target, but a good match for your MacBook Pro’s anodized aluminum would be this :
http://www.amazon.com/CEntrance-CE1805-DACmini-CX/dp/B004TSHWOG

All you would need is a USB cable OR a mini Optical cable (but just make sure your MacBook has a mini optical jack - mine does but it’s of the current generation).

And sound-wise, I read that it pairs well with the LCD-2s on a number of occasions. So if you have a chance to audition it somewhere (you can bring your MacBook and LCD-2s and have a real-life idea of it’s performance).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back